Forums

GM & Bechtel to Build Fast Charging Network in USA

GM & Bechtel to Build Fast Charging Network in USA

Not sure how fast is "Fast" but let me know if anyone solves the riddle. What do you guys think? Is this legit or fluff?

Here's the link to the article:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/business/gm-bechtel-electric-car-charging...

jimglas | 29 maggio 2019

who is going to pay for construction and maintenance as well as for the electricity itself?

TeslaTap.com | 29 maggio 2019

I'd say semi-legit, but without any time frame, it could be 20 years to build out. Still lack of a good charging network is the biggest problem for non-Tesla EVs. GM may have finally figured this out with feedback from Bolt owners. If you want to be in the EV space, you've got to have an accessible charging network that competes with Tesla.

I'd expect all Tesla's can use the GM's network as well - likely CSS. Just need that CSS adapter from Tesla (that is already available in Europe) . No rush, as it could be years before it's really useful here in the USA.

finman100 | 29 maggio 2019

GM, nor Bechtel, are actually ponying up ANY cash for this. Is that what I'm reading? What's the point then? Good luck with the fragmentation of 3rd party chargers and payment systems and maintenance and multiple stalls and power requirements and...

Sure, the EVs with longer range are great but if they can't replace a gasser , then they will never be mainstream for the masses. Teslas do everything gassers can for a normal household. that means long distance. even if people rarely do the long trips...it's the perception that they can in a Tesla, not in other EVs with 200 plus miles of range.

Range AND charging is the combo that wins.

PS in case anyone missed this review (and comments at the end, haha!):

https://insideevs.com/reviews/351535/test-kia-niro-ev-150kw-fast-charge-...

kcheng | 29 maggio 2019

A Bolt can already make it from LA to NY using mostly EA, EVgo and Chargepoint, though they have to charge 1hr for every 2hrs driven. Now they just need to make the network alot faster, and the cars need to take a faster DC charge.

Earl and Nagin ... | 29 maggio 2019

@kcheng,
Good luck with that Bolt driving from LA to NY with CCS chargers. I'd like to hear what the route is.
I know of a Bolt driver who drove from Nebraska to New Jersey but he used a few Level 2 chargers.
The west, however isn't as dense with CCS. I don't see a route.

finman100 | 30 maggio 2019

can make it? so have not made it, won't anytime soon. got it.

Where was all the fanfare that a Bolt made it cross country?

huh, the "competition" is coming? so many questions with so few answers.

The link above from my previous post is why I'm out of that silly "other-EV" game.

Tesla has it nailed. Long range, efficiency, ...AND a fully functional robust and on-going improved network of available and easy to use high speed DC chargers. worldwide even!

Uncle Paul | 30 maggio 2019

So many companies have set out to build high speed charging around the world.
For the most part they have ended up fragmenting offerings, with complicated apps, credit card readers, needing to set up an account, no notification where they are (except for independant 3rd party sources). They use lots of different plug adaptors, charge at different rates, charge different fees and tend to come and go.

I have a Model X. Finding charging locations for Superchargers and compatible destination chargers is super easy. Simply drive up and plug in. No credit cards, applications, or pre approvals. Have always had a Supercharger well within range. Computer tells me which one to use and how long to use it. On my way efficiently.

G/F has an i3, and getting that charged (needs it frequently) is a disaster. So many of the chargers are broken. You need a special card to access them. Sometimes it communicates with the pump, other times crickets. The charging is pretty slow compared to Superchargers. Each charges a different rate and charge rate. Went to a 4 hose charger yesterday. It can only charge two cars at a time. The other two hoses go dead once another car plugs in. It is always a lot more hassle than when I use a Tesla Supercharger. Would never try to take a long distance trip with the i3. It is essentially Urban caged.

TranzNDance | 30 maggio 2019

The i3 seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to perpetuate the ICE money maker by uglifying and gimpifying the EV.

Uncle Paul | 30 maggio 2019

It is a strange looking bug...

jordanrichard | 30 maggio 2019

So GM is not putting any money towards this, yet are trying to get some street cred by associating their name to this to get the headlines which they are already getting, for building out a charging network to “challenge” Tesla’s SC network. All of these other outfits building out charging networks is only going to help sell more Tesla’s. People will very quickly get confused and frustrated with these varying chargers and associated passwords, accounts, RDIF cards etc. and then notice how utterly simple Tesla’s SC system is. For ICE cars, horsepower sells cars. With EVs it will be range and ease of charging. We all know where Tesla is on both of those fronts.

finman100 | 31 maggio 2019

Small local anecdotal story. I'll try to keep it short. Willamette Valley, Oregon:

4 years ago...Co-worker asks how I travel around with my Leaf. I said there are DC fast chargers all up and down I-5 and out to the coast that you buy a subscription for unlimited electrons for $20/month. This is Aerovironment. Co-worker then states they'd never want to subscribe to some fueling service every month. Having to use some RFID card? how dumb is that. (their words).

Present day, same co-worker asks A LOT more questions about my Model 3, plus the where/how do you charge on road trips. I say you go to a Supercharger and just plug in. They look at me and say, "no shit, that's really easy". I show them online where they all are. their eyes get big, "wow, I could go anywhere" (pointing to the middle of the country and eastward).

Yeah, the "other" systems are NOT gonna have what Tesla has developed. It just isn't set up to be easy and simple.

YMMV

finman100 | 31 maggio 2019

PS and I loved my Leaf for what it was! But the entire long distance (heh-heh, 80 miles at a time, heh-heh) travel was not for the masses.

today's 225 miles of range EVs makes it a little better, but the SAME, EXACT system (slow, one-stall per location, broken, etc.) for charging will not sell people on kicking gas. In fact the charging experience of these "long range" EVs will deter and turn-off future EV drivers when word gets out how frustrating it is. THAT is my concern.

Lots of room for improvement. And i know the Electrify America is doing more than one stall locations, but it still doesn't equal Tesla's Supercharger network.

Yeah, I tend to get way too long-winded when talking about this. It's because of my past experience i made the stretch to a Model 3. Tesla has my future travel figured. now.

Tesla-David | 31 maggio 2019

You nailed it @finman100, BTW, my wife and I did a cross country Edmonds, WA to NYC and down to Florida and back (8000 miles) way back in 2014 in our MS before the SC grid was fully built out. A bit challenging on I-90 getting through Montana with only one SC in Billings MT. Charged overnight at two RV parks, and fellow Tesla owners garage in Bozeman, MT going/coming to make that trip. So much easier now. Even with those limitations the SC grid worked extremely well once we got to Rapid City, all the way to East coast. Tesla has it nailed from the get go, thinking ahead regarding EVs and charging infrastructure, and they are so very far ahead of any/all competition.