Forums

Regenerative Braking: Standard or Low?

Regenerative Braking: Standard or Low?

Good morning all,

I'm curious as to what most people select for their regenerative braking. Do you prefer Standard or Low, and why? Do you notice a substantial gain in range on Standard?

Thanks!

jimglas | 18 giugno 2019

standard, of course
Recharges the battery more efficiently

jjgunn | 18 giugno 2019

Standard and it isn't even close.

neylus | 18 giugno 2019

Standard - I get annoyed everytime I have to use my brakes.

dwakelee | 18 giugno 2019

Since Tesla does not use a blended braking system like other EV's, standard regen is pretty much a requirement if you don't want to waste away energy with the friction brakes. Low regen is helpful is you are coming from another EV or gas vehicle and want to ease into the feel of regen braking from only the accelerator pedal. But really just best to go cold turkey into standard regen mode and learn how it behaves and drive accordingly. Takes some get used to, but easily mastered in no time.

You will find that most times the brake pedal is only needed at the tail end of slowing, to come to a complete stop. Often no friction braking is needed when slowing to make a turn - which is not the case with low regen mode. Many people report over 100K miles on Teslas with original brakes due to the limited use of the friction braking system.

Know that in cold temps (which for Tesla is 55 F or lower in some instances), regen becomes limited and effectively goes into a low mode as well.

Bighorn | 18 giugno 2019

Standard
Efficiency is not significantly different if you’re avoiding having to use the brake. Low can be more efficient if it keeps you from slowing so much that you need to add energy to maintain speed or get to a stop sign.

rchau28 | 18 giugno 2019

I have it on Standard as I prefer the one pedal driving. As far as the range, I wouldn't know since I only drive on Standard. Also, using regen braking means less wear & tear on my brakes which means less maintenance in the long run.

Syed.Hosain | 18 giugno 2019

I use standard also ... the braking effect reduces wear on the brake pads.

Takes a short amount of time of getting used to though - and then it feels weird when later driving in a non-regen equipped car!

Kary993 | 18 giugno 2019

Definitely Standard. I am not sure what the other setting is really for. I like not having to use the brakes.

TranzNDance | 18 giugno 2019

Beside energy efficiency, it's safer. If you get into a situation where you need to stop or slow suddenly, removing your foot from the accelerator already decelerates the car before the foot moves over to the brake pedal.

Rodo | 18 giugno 2019

I set it to low when I first got the car. It better simulated my old car (letting go of the gas pedal to slow down that is). But after a few weeks I noticed that I was using the breaks too much. The model 3 is a heavier car than my old civic. So I decided to change it to standard and see. Yeap.... standard is the way to go for me.

ronocoug | 18 giugno 2019

Standard. But if I lived in the snowy/icy hinterlands I might use low so the gripping wouldn't be too aggressive.

The best way to become accustomed to the regenerative braking is to immediately, after delivery, drive through a neighborhood with the multitude of speed humps (bumps, lumps or undulations...I've seen ALL these on signs) and you'll learn very quickly the one-pedal driving method.

Tesla-David | 18 giugno 2019

Standard always in our MS and M3. The more regenerative braking the better.

Lorenzryanc | 18 giugno 2019

Standard for the reasons everyone mentioned. I wish there was more. I'd REALLY like brake hold to auto engage when the car hits 0 mph too @elon. I've never even tried Low TBH

CharleyBC | 18 giugno 2019

Standard.

Coming from a stick, I was pretty clumsy at first. Too much muscle memory of pushing in the clutch and just dropping the accelerator, leading to a gentle coast. But the Tesla would slow pretty aggressively, as we all know. I got used to it within the first week, and know I love the regen and scarcely using friction brakes.

Of course, you can modulate the regen by how much you back off on the go pedal.

If they added Mega as a regen setting, I suspect I’d use it.

kevin_rf | 18 giugno 2019

Low is only useful in poor winter driving conditions, Made it through a New England winter in standard and lived to tell. Loss of control will vary.

Zeus140 | 18 giugno 2019

Standard. CharleyBC- For me it is like driving a stick in second gear all the time and not worrying about redlining the engine!
Since one of the few parts that require replacement are pad and rotors, standard greatly reduces the wear and tear on the brake system.
I did notice on my previous Prius that the rotors tended to rust from lack of use, I hope M3 does not have that issue.

sandiegogreg | 18 giugno 2019

standard and turn off creep mode.

sandiegogreg | 18 giugno 2019

standard and turn off creep mode.

calvin940 | 18 giugno 2019

No creep mode - always

Standard in non-winter season
Low during winter with snow/ice on the ground

texxx | 18 giugno 2019

Standard, and for me it's more for control than energy recovery. One-pedal driving with instant acceleration/deceleration combined with excellent handling (for a car this heavy) allows me to put the car where I want, when I want, more than any other car I've ever driven. And standard regen is a key part of that equation.

Slonkis | 18 giugno 2019

Definitely standard for one-pedal driving. I miss it when I drive my Highlander Hybrid, which has the equivalent of low regen.

sheldon.mike1010 | 18 giugno 2019

I far prefer standard due to trying to drive with 1 pedal most of the time. On a good day I can go a long
commute without touching the brake at all. Used to do spendy front brakes every 22-25K miles on last couple cars.
Low maintenance is an Tesla goal.

Elektra3 | 18 giugno 2019

Standard always--special benefit when you see the highway patrol out and about--fast, smooth, non-obvious drop to the speed limit by just lifting your (lead) foot.

DanFoster1 | 19 giugno 2019

Standard—you’ll quickly learn to drive with one pedal in nearly every circumstance.

I temporarily switch to low when the roads are icy or to dry the brakes if I’m parking for a while directly after rain or car wash.

Techy James | 19 giugno 2019

Standard, so close to one pedal driving. Might be nice as a feature, Tesla add a one foot driving option where the system applies brake at point the regen stops similar to some of the other EV's that have one peddle operation for normal stopping.
As for the Low in winter time, I live in northern Ohio and I only drove in one Winter with it so far, but keep it on Standard and didn't notice any issues.

lbowroom | 19 giugno 2019

Standard, but I prefer creep on for easier low speed maneuvering. In conjunction with the hold feature it covers all the bases. Some people’s insistence that creep must be off because it’s a relic of ICE is kind of silly.

TranzNDance | 19 giugno 2019

I find that I have great if not greater control at low speed with creep off. I can understand that some people might have less fine motor control in their foot, though, so that would be bad for them to use the accelerator instead of the brake pedal to maneuver at low speed in small spaces.

@lbowroom there is one downside to Creep. Without Creep and using Brake Hold (which I didn't realize could be used in conjunction with creep) I can turn on the AP so when car ahead of me moves, my car automatically moves.

Even without enabling AP, when I stop I depress brake pedal slightly to enable the Brake Hold then take the foot off the brake pedal. When light turns green I push the accelerator to start moving, no need for creep as the press of accelerator means car starts moving forward. I find on a longer around city drive with several errands/stops this is less stressful by being able to release the brake pedal.

@lbowroom there is one downside to Creep. Without Creep and using Brake Hold (which I didn't realize could be used in conjunction with creep) I can turn on the AP so when car ahead of me moves, my car automatically moves.

Even without enabling AP, when I stop I depress brake pedal slightly to enable the Brake Hold then take the foot off the brake pedal. When light turns green I push the accelerator to start moving, no need for creep as the press of accelerator means car starts moving forward. I find on a longer around city drive with several errands/stops this is less stressful by being able to release the brake pedal.

lbowroom | 19 giugno 2019

Techy, Everything you describe is how it works with creep on as well so there’s no downside to using it.

JAD | 19 giugno 2019

I don't think I have ever seen complete agreement on anything on the forum before! Low is ok for ice and training, but standard is what the car should be in.

Effopec | 19 giugno 2019

Definitely standard - wish it would go all the way down to zero so I didn't have to brake the last 5 mph. Takes about a week to get used to it, but definitely the way to go. When I drive my wife's car I feel like I'm going out of control after I lift my foot off the gas and start to coast. I also have creep off and have never put it in chill.

kcheng | 19 giugno 2019

Standard, but for Winter, I have it set for Chill mode and Low regeneration. I also do that when I let someone else drive, just so that they don't get overwhelmed with all the newness. There was that woman who recently smashed into her garage door, after 4 days of ownership. She probably should have been using Low regeneration and Chill mode, cause I have a feeling she hadn't fully adapted to one-foot driving and probably hit the accelerator when she meant to stop, while the garage door opened.

jimmyk667 | 26 luglio 2019

They should have an option for Strong regen. Standard feels too much like low when compared to other EVs. (i.e The Bolt)

hherbly | 26 luglio 2019

standard of course; charges the batteries, and saves the brakes, which I hardly use

Mooseman | 28 luglio 2019

I always use standard, even in winter. The electronics detect friction loss and adjust the deceleration accordingly, so there really is no need to revert to the "low" setting.

TrexTesla | 28 luglio 2019

Standard....the only times I've used low is when I have a friend who's never driven an EV test driving. Then I'll start them in low, chill, creep...and turn them off one by one as they get used to it to get the full effect. My buddy neglected to do that and got one of his rims rubbed while turning a corner because not used to the hard regeneration under standard...

calvin940 | 28 luglio 2019

Standard. Oh man how I miss it when it is in low or its reduced by the system.

raqball | 28 luglio 2019

neylus | June 18, 2019
Standard - I get annoyed everytime I have to use my brakes.
-----------------------------

This quickly became me... I didn't really like it when I test drove before purchase but I decided I'd give it a week after delivery before changing it. Glad I did as now I love Standard and couldn't imagine not having it or using low...

Tyerc | 28 luglio 2019

Standard. Took no time to get use to it and my wife comments on it when people ask about the car.

Earl and Nagin ... | 28 luglio 2019

@jimmy,
RWD precludes how much regen they can give without the possibility of losing rear traction and getting sideways. AWD models could produce more but there's a maximum amount of current that the battery can accept as well.
Tesla's approach is simple and effective: Accelerator to accelerate and decelerate. Brake to stop when you really need to.

ryno9 | 1 novembre 2019

I got my 2016 Model S 75D in August, 35k miles. Regenerative braking was the big learning curve on driving the car. After a few weeks, it was great, able to drive mostly with one pedal. I have noticed over the past two weeks that it is a substantially different experience - sometimes I get no regenerative braking at all, essentially like its in neutral, sometimes it is a very slight braking and other times it is like it was, aggressive enough to avoid using the brake pedal most of the time. I have switched back and forth between standard and low with no impact to braking experience. It has happened at all different charge levels and in different outside temperatures and different speeds. Any thoughts?

Bighorn | 1 novembre 2019

@ryno
Likely the cooler temps. Limits kick in below 60F proportional to how cold the battery has gotten overnight

ryno9 | 1 novembre 2019

I did play with it more today and put it in and out of different combinations (including turning on Creep for the first time) and whatever I did, it seemed to reset it and it is back to the aggressive braking even on a fairly cool day. Hoping it was a one-time issue.

dr_venkat | 6 dicembre 2019

I definitely feel the regen braking changed a lot with the software update 2019.36.2.1 esp and i didnt have to really use the brakes before that. i have used my brakes a lot more since then

jrweiss98020 | 6 dicembre 2019

You may have to reset your choice to STANDARD, and/or reboot the touchscreen. I hardly ever touch the brake pedal any more!

jrweiss98020 | 6 dicembre 2019

Also set driving to HOLD, so the car will come to a complete stop instead of creeping.

WW_spb | 6 dicembre 2019

One pedal driving is amazing and very efficient. Wife was skeptical but now she loves it too. )

maihyvu2 | 12 dicembre 2019

I tried out standard for a month. And it drove me nuts. My foot had to constantly apply various pressure on the pedal. If you are driving at normal speed say 35 miles, and you let go of the gas pedal you will feel a jerk on your body unless you let go of the gas pedal gently, and your foot he's pretty much glued to the pedal. Very annoying. I would just prefer to coast and then apply the brakes. If only Tesla offer a very low regenerative braking option. I was just take my chance on replacing the brakes. It is very unfortunate that Tesla does not regenerate power when you actually step on the brake pedal. Single pedal driver drives like a sissy, trying to conserve energy. When I sat in my friend's Tesla car it drove me nuts. There's a beast inside all of the Tesla car. Unleash it!

leo33 | 12 dicembre 2019

I wish they had a 'High' regen option to go alongside 'Standard' and 'Low'.

Pages