Submitted by rlesperance on Sat, 2019-07-13 13:04
I am thinking of purchasing a M3 SR+. I live in Québec, Canada. Most of the time, 160 km (±100 miles) of autonomy should do it amply. I will also do longer trips of 300-500 km (190-250 miles) a few times a year.
Having read a lot about EVs and Tesla's, I realize that winter is a serious concern when it comes to autonomy. Cold will diminish the battery's power alone by 40%. I also have to take into account that charging my batteries to 100% should not be an habit. Let's subtract 10% here for charging it only to 90%. And finally, inevitably, I cannot use all power until empty. I have to keep a safety margin, let us put aside another 5%. All these add to 55%, leaving me with 45% of the theoretical 386km, 174 km (109 miles).
This is theoretical. What can you tell me about your real life experience in winter for longer trips ?
Thanks for helping.