Forums

TACC Doesn’t Stop

TACC Doesn’t Stop

I’ve experienced this issue twice with my M3 2019.20.4.2: In TACC it got within 28” of the car ahead and I think it only stopped because I braked. One time I was going downhill (more common to have this issue downhill) but the other time it was on a flat section of the freeway. Both times I was paying attention and couldn’t take getting any closer and braked to prevent from hitting the car in front of me. I purposely got a little closer the second time to see if the car would stop in time, it did not. The car alarmed and said out I was 28” away from the car ahead of me. It may have alarmed because when I hit the brake, the TACC turned off and the Tesla was “barking" at me for being too close. 99% of the time the TACC works great. But for a vehicle almost ready for more autopilot features, TACC should stop 100% of the time. I think the TACC distance was set to 2 car lengths. I plan to experiment with 3 car length setting. What is going on?

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

was the car "fully" in front of you and completely sharing the same lane? If so I have never seen this. I have seen it when only a portion of the car is in your lane.

jstat10 | 19 luglio 2019

You need to get to a Tesla Service Center ASAP. Your TACC is broken.

jdcollins5 | 19 luglio 2019

I have only seen this on hills and curves where the radar does not “see” the car in front until late.

Sideswipe | 19 luglio 2019

It's never happened to me and I've never seen it happen, but my wife says it's happened to her two or three times. Each time, there was a car stopped directly in front of her and she had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear ending it. Because it's happened to her, I never fully trust it and keep my break foot ready when approaching cars that are slowing or stopped until I can confirm that the car has seen them and started to break. Only then do I relax.

M3BlueGeorgia | 19 luglio 2019

@Sideswipe
This is not normal behavior. Next time it happens, save the TeslaCam recording and call service straightaway.

TeslaTap.com | 19 luglio 2019

Any chance you tapped the break, even lightly? As soon as the brake pedal is pressed, even so lightly that it is not breaking yet, TACC disengages and you're responsible to stop. It may be worse if you use the creep feature that acts like an old automatic. I'd disable creep and be sure to not press the brake pedal.

@M3BlueGeorgia. Each time my wife has mentioned it happening, I asked if she did a bug report which (as I understand it) would save all of the sensor data and video and make it available to Tesla. Unfortunately, It shakes her up so much each time that she doesn't think to do it. I'll suggest to her that if it happens again, once she's calmed down, she should stop the video and pull out the thumb drive so the video doesn't get overwritten.

@TeslaTap. We've always had creep mode off so that's not the issue. As far as tapping the break, I don't think that was the case either, but since I wasn't driving or even in the car, I can't say for sure.

hokiegir1 | 19 luglio 2019

@sideswipe - if she just taps (not press and hold) the camera icon, it will move the last 10 minutes to "saved clips" and won't overwrite it -- no need to pull the drive.

RoadDevil | 19 luglio 2019

I found that if I rest my foot on the ‘gas’ paddle while on AP, sometime it triggers warning ‘ auto braking may not stop the car’ or something to that effect, is it possible you did not see the warning?

FISHEV | 19 luglio 2019

Just schedule the service now as that is dangerous. You are expecting TACC to stop and if it over 25 mph the autobraking won’t prevent a collision.

Check it first though.

You can dynamically set the following distance (it may have just been set too close) by using the right thumb wheel. Be careful with it as every time I did that I got Navigate and I was adjusting the following distance on the screen. I’d start with max following distance and see if that works.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

please post a video also, it helps to see what is going on around you.

Tronguy | 19 luglio 2019

Ahem. In the manual and as part of the general tech, it's known that if the closing speed is greater than 50 mph or so, the front radar doesn't "see" the car in front. So, if one is flying along at 65 mph+ on the freeway and there's a car, stopped, in one's lane, the Tesla won't slow down. Further, neither will any other TACC-enabled car.
Tesla, BWM, Mercedes-Benz, and others all make this clear.
The reason why: The radar sends out pulses that hit ye targets, then the pulses return. Any relative speed between the Tesla and the target results in a Doppler shift.
Next: The faster one goes, the further down the path one needs to be able to see other cars. At somewhere north of 50 mph, any return pulses (from cars who are further away, but whose relative speed is less than 45 mph) get weakened by the distance and simply buried in radar clutter: guardrails, signs, bridge abutments, and the ground itself. An easy way to fix this problem is to put a low-pass filter on the radar detector output. This kills the returns from the environmental clutter, but allows the signals from the relatively slower cars ahead to pass through, so the signal-to-noise ratio's improved.
From the manual:
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h), may not brake/decelerate when a vehicle or object isonly partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving vehicle or object is in front of you. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model 3 to slowdown unnecessarily or inappropriately

lbowroom | 19 luglio 2019

Sorry Trong, I can't see how the OP could get within 28 inches of the car ahead moving over 50mph and still manually stop.

As other have said, the OP had to have touched either the brake to cancel TACC or rest the foot on the accelerator

cmh95628 | 19 luglio 2019

I had this happen about a month ago. I reported it in a prior thread. Has not occurred since then. The car ahead of me was stopped centered in the lane, and had not done a "panic stop" just a normal stop. My follow distance was set to 3. I noticed that my car was not doing a normal slow down, so I braked a the last second. The yellow curvy lines did show up on the console, but I don't think they stated a distance. My car normally stops about 1 car length from the car ahead (so no yellow curvy lines). I was too shocked to remember to file a bug report. I'm sure I would have hit had I not manually emergency braked. I have wondered since then if for some reason the regen braking was not providing as much slowing as the car/algorithm had expected. Obviously, my eyes were on the road, not the regen indicator bar.

cmh95628 | 19 luglio 2019

I doubt we will see a pattern here, but for completeness, I drive a 2018 LR AWD (delivered Sept 2018, so may have the battery not full capacity recall/issue, have not researched it yet).

@cmh95628 , Mine is a 2018 LR AWD delivered Nov 2018.

EVRider | 19 luglio 2019

It's hard to rule out user error in cases like this, but if it happens more than once, it's always wise to have Service check the car for hardware issues. I've never had TACC fail to stop with either AP1 or EAP except when the stopped car was not visible until the last minute.

vmulla | 19 luglio 2019

Want videos of that happening? What good is that? This thread would get flagged in 10 minutes.

Don't incite

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

@vmulla cmon man posts like that are what get stuff flagged.

No one is flagging posts simply because there is an issue with the car. 90% of the posts on here are about issues. Its when people are way over the top or just flat out lying that stuff gets flagged.

Magic 8 Ball | 19 luglio 2019

Yeah, plenty of people have posted videos here reporting the car misbehaved and those were not flagged away.

howard | 19 luglio 2019

The prior TACC post was flagged away. So there is major skepticism as to what the gang tolerates.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

honesty.... no one is saying Tesla is perfect.

But if you come here and say that your TMPS sensor went out and you are going to lemon law, yea you will leikly get flagged.

@howard Who started that thread? Some people have become so toxic to many of the members here that no matter what they post they are flagged away, you know that.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

Thank god the trolls here are not grammer nazis. For some reason I typo on this forum more than anywhere else in my life and it has no edit.... ya TPMS.... ya ya

howard | 19 luglio 2019

I don't remember but he seemed reasonable. I need to start screen capturing everything. What am I saying? This is just a joke really.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

Honestly question Howard. Why are you here all the time and still own a Tesla? You seem to honestly hate the car from the way you post and very much prefer your Bolt.

If I preferrred my other car I would dump my tesla. I damn sure wouldnt stalk a forum for a product I do not like.

No one here, that I have seen, is nefariously flagging threads that point fingers at TESLA. Only posts/thread that appear as blatant FUD or such get nuked. @howard you have received feedback from many calling you a troll so naturally troll like behavior is reasonable to you, duh.

Mike UpNorth | 19 luglio 2019

I created a thread about flagging that was flagged off. The flagging is out of control.

Flag

Jolt.

vmulla | 19 luglio 2019

Sorry folks, Let me reset my tone.

It's not cool when the thread with a legit video is flagged by the defenders of Tesla. My thread was removed/flagged, integrity debated, intentions doubted.

That's why I'm becoming the way I am. I was just a regular fan on the forum when I started.

I'm a fan of the car who doesn't have any stock interests on Tesla, 3 time owner, with enough miles of experience, with real people on the forums who met me and took their first Model 3 ride in my car and will tell you how enthusiastic I am.

And you're on my case? For what? Yes I'm not a blind fan and defender of Tesla, I'm just not. So yes my posts will be across the board - good in some bad in others.

Seriously, want the videos? If you want I'll give you the Vin to dig up what's what to figure out which pedal was pressed or not.

So much for my reset in tone ;))

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

The post about flagging should be flagged. This is a Model 3 forum....

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

your thread got flagged because you went off the deep end. You started fine and than for some weird reason got locked up in an argument with M8B and you started talking crazy shit.

Stay sane and your thread stays. The topic of the thread was not why it got flagged IMO, it was the way you kind of lost and it started just spouting nonsense because you were upset at M8B.

@joshan......oh now you're an anal rule follower.....yeah okay

@josh are you commenting at me?

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

@vmulla I actually thought your first post was a good PSA as people need to be extra careful when a failed lane change occirs. But the thread got ridiciulous after page 1.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

@mike I am telling you why I think your post disappeared. I didn't flag it and I dont make the rules. But thanks for insulting me none the less, you have a nice day also.

howard | 19 luglio 2019

Joshan, I like and enjoy my Tesla. I just wish certain issues that underperform were addressed especially when they don't work as well as my half the price 2019 Volt. But that seems to light the fires of attack for some of you. It is ok. This is a Tesla forum and a place to post real-world issues. Some of you just don't like it, resent it and flag it. This is such a kindergarten playground. Hard to believe it is a Forum for an expensive state of the art EV. But the growing list of frivolous posts that get deleted proves otherwise. Most of you just like to banter mindlessly insulting each other back and forth. Same insults from the same people over and over. Enjoy your playground.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

except you are here are much as anyone @howard and you purposely stoke the fire and than ry to act all innocent. Good try.

@Mike UpNorth I started a bunch of threads about flagging and they were all nuked, as expected, so it is not you. There are silent "masses' out there with flagging rights.

People are getting fed up with this and they can go back to where they came from (keeping with the times : )

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

@howard I can pretty much tell you the issue people have with you in one short paragraph...

It is NOT that you have a problem with some Tesla features or than you think Tesla can do some things better. It is the Fish complex, you cannot simply say "hey I saw this happen and it shouldn't work like that IMO". You just talk about how amazing some other product is and how Tesla lacks in comparison. That is not the way to help make things better or the way to hold a converstaion on a Tesla forum.

@magic

Thanks, and I agree with your silent masses theory.

Just annoying having a fun thread disappear for no reason I can see....wasted time commenting.

Guess we should all stick to threads about windshield wipers and non existent spoilers. Fun!

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

or use the general forum for general topics. Again, I am guess as I did NOT flag your post and I commented in it also. I am just ASSUMING thats why it was flagged.

@Mike UpNorth, it is the new norm, for now.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

There is one other possibility... I have been in contant the last 3 days with Tesla directly about these forums and got one person a temprorary vacation this week. They could be looking a little closer right now and nuked your thread themselves.

Who is on vacation?

vmulla | 19 luglio 2019

@joshan,
Show me one thread on the forum where any discussion with @M8B doesn't go off the deep end.

Except if it had celebration of Tesla.

If you want to judge me for page2 discussions with likes of @M8B then I can't help it.

If everyone with slightly less than reverent tone for Tesla is a troll then only some of folks here are the true fans. You know why? Because at some time or the other they will express some negativity, and poof you're a troll. Even the tone, language is judged - but profanity and name calling is fine.

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

@vmulla than do not reply to him, no one is forcing you.

@m8b I cannot say.... but you were involved.

The general forum rules/FYI thread at the top?! That's where newbie weirdos post. No thanks!

Joshan | 19 luglio 2019

No mike the general forum

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/general

I am NOT telling you to go there though, just taking guesses on why the thread went poof.

Pages