Forums

Model 3 sound system the best ever tested.

Model 3 sound system the best ever tested.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-sound-system-secret/

Elon tweeted later engineers are continuously improving sound quality through OTA update. I can attest to that. Sound quality of the non-premium audio in my 14' MS went from just OK to super nice over the years to the point that I almost felt the $2,500 I spent on premium audio in my 16' MX was wasted.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1161853708214386688

jimglas | 15 agosto 2019

the steering wheel is on the wrong side?

efuseakay | 15 agosto 2019

7th word in the article... if you count 3 as “Three”.

gmr6415 | 15 agosto 2019

Although I really like the sound system there used to be a periodic background clicking. That went away a few updates ago. Now it's back.

Magic 8 Ball | 15 agosto 2019

I blew my ears out going to too many rock shows, can you guys type louder?

LostInTx | 15 agosto 2019

The Model 3 sound system is fantastic. It's unfortunate that it's being hamstrung by a low Kbps from Slacker. I so wish that Tesla and Slacker would come to an agreement, even if it requires an annual fee, to release the Kbps hounds and give us 320 Kbps.

vishious911 | 15 agosto 2019

@LostInTx
+1

Or I wish they'd let users plug in their phones into the USB slots so we pay for the LTE while using our own preferred bitrates

vishious911 | 15 agosto 2019

@LostInTx
+1

Or I wish they'd let users plug in their phones into the USB slots so we pay for the LTE while using our own preferred bitrates

carlk | 15 agosto 2019

@LostInTx

From info I got on this forum I was able to set up my S and X to 320kbps a few years ago. I emailed Tesla to get account numbers of each car and entered them into the screen option. That setup option does not seem to be available now. Before that I only listen to FLAC files from USB.

bddaughe | 15 agosto 2019

I wonder if the car will be able to process true 5.1 surround sound? Or will it just be stereo audio piped through the car like music? There's a difference between immersive sound and true discrete surround sound. Has anyone heard?

My comment above is talking about when streaming movies in Netflix (once that's available)

rxlawdude | 15 agosto 2019

@bddauge, interesting question. @TTap probably knows if each speaker is wired separately back to the amp outputs.

carlk | 15 agosto 2019

@carlk, but surround sound can mean very different things. For example older style pro logic had rear speakers, but both rear speakers played exact same sound. 5.1 type audios like dolby digital or DTS had rear speakers where each speaker had its own material. So, a plane flying behind you could start in one speaker and end in the other.

Magic 8 Ball | 15 agosto 2019

Quadraphonic was a thing.

TeslaTap.com | 15 agosto 2019

@rxlawdude - There are 15 amps/channels in the LR's sound system and 7 in the SR/SR+. For more about inside details on the M3 audio systems is here: https://teslatap.com/articles/audio-systems-for-the-model-3/

@TeslaTap, thanks for that. Given there are 15 different channels, then technically they should be able to reproduce 5.1 surround sound that is on many of the Netflix tittles.

@Magic, what about Fantasound? A crazy stereophonic technique created for the release of Fantasia which is just about as trippy as the film was!

rsingh05 | 15 agosto 2019

My 3's sound system has impressed me from day one. I have Bowers and Wilkins audio at home and this sounds comparable, which is a pretty big accomplishment on Tesla's part. Not surprised professional reviewers feel the same way.

carlk | 15 agosto 2019

@bddaughe

It's all in the codec. Pretty easy to implement long are separate speakers/channels are there. In S and X premium audio there is a Dolby Surround mode providing simulated multi-channel sound from stereo source. Not sure about the 3 but it should also has that.

Halbach | 15 agosto 2019

I agree, best I have heard. With BMWs and Audi's I always shelled out for the premium audio and model 3 is better than all of them I've had.

TeslaTap.com | 15 agosto 2019

@carlk - Dolby Surround was replaced with Immersive sound on the S/X with MCU2, and has always been in the M3 LR. The first 3+ years of Dobly Surround in the S were god awful. Then Tesla changed it and while not fantastic, was usable. Some owners like it, others not as much.

While there are plenty of audio channels, it's less clear the internal audio paths. The primary reason for having so many channels was to allow total control of each speaker in the development tuning phase. The sounds engineers can tweak each speakers level and equalization to get the right sound field. Something not possible in your typically 2 or 4 channel vehicle systems. So far, Tesla has not stated anything other than 2 channel sound is handled as input. This could be a software or a hardware limitation. FLAC has the option to support up to 8 channels, but currently, Tesla only looks at the first two channels.

Hal Fisher | 15 agosto 2019

I wish they step up the eq to 13 band eq. I use the jvc car head unit and found no better due to its 13 band eq.

bddaughe | 16 agosto 2019

@TeslaTap, great post! I totally agree. I know today it doesn't accept more than 2 channels. That's why I wondered if Elon meant that may change in the future when he discussed surround sound or if he was just referring to the immersive sound that is already in the car. I'm hoping it changes as that would open up some cool things (like what you mentioned for FLAC). Here's hoping!

ODWms | 16 agosto 2019

I agree with every word. I concede that my ears may not be as sophisticated as others, as some have said they had to shell out thousands of dollars to modify and bring the 3’s sound system up to snuff. To each his own. I cannot imagine.

I’ve had top end, premium sound systems in Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW and others. Nothing touches this for my money.

lbowroom | 16 agosto 2019

Strictly speaking, EQ is not for ”personal taste” or based on type of music. It’s meant to compensate for environment and equipment differences. The recording artist and studio set the recording master to what they intend the content to sound like. If you’re fiddling around with it, you are playing recording engineer and producer.

Perovc | 16 agosto 2019

Anyone know how to procede to activate the speakers already installed in my model 3 SR+

jimglas | 16 agosto 2019

Software enabled, you would have to hack the car.

boris | 16 agosto 2019

not software enabled, need to wire them to doors, it seems complicated - google tesla owners online guide to enabling speakers

@lbowroom, yes, most studios mix their music the way they intend it. Movie studios do the same. But to think you can take a blu-ray and play it on any TV without adjustment and get what directors intended is misguided. There are calibration discs used to get your particular TV reproducing colors, tins, contrast, brightness, etc. the way it should. Then, any content you play on it should be reproducing what the directory intended. Same is true of stereos. Not every stereo is tuned perfectly to what it should be. I'll admit that Tesla's is close, but to say that any music should be able to be played flat and represent what was recorded accurately is naive.

Actually, I think we're saying similar things. So, you can ignore my previous post.

carlk | 16 agosto 2019

@lbowroom +1. EQ is needed only for less than ideal systems (audio + environment), With EQ you can only create a fake, although perhaps more pleasing, sound but you will never be able to reproduce the true fidelity. A system tuned for a fixed environment such as inside the car cabin can take the environment factor out of it too. I remember Tesla mentioned years ago how much efforts it had put in designing and tuning the premium audio for the MX environment. My suggestion is try to do as little EQ as possible, if at all. One might find that, what musicians and recording engineers wanted you to hear, is the most pleasing version.

Syed.Hosain | 16 agosto 2019

@vishious911 "Or I wish they'd let users plug in their phones into the USB slots so we pay for the LTE while using our own preferred bitrates"

I have a large drive plugged in with my uncompressed FLAC files (from 44.1/16 through 192/24) on it. And the sound is excellent - not as good as a high-end home stereo system, but great for a car environment!