Forums

UK range- a LONG way short of advertised

UK range- a LONG way short of advertised

I have had my SR+ (UK) for just under a week. So far, range is a LONG way short of what I expected. I've tried some calcs to try to work out what is going on. On an 80% charge, I get 185 miles range, which is 20 miles short of 80% of the 254 WLTP advertised. I've been told the in-car display uses EPA range of 240 miles instead of WLTP, but 80% of that is still 192 miles. I've read that it is a 50kWh battery, so 208 Wh/m gets you to 240 miles range. I've also seen reference to 217 being used for EPA calc, which does get me to the 185 range am seeing for 80% charge (but only 230 full charge range), so I'm going to assume this is what is being used by the car as 'stardard efficiency'.

Today, I started with 185 miles (80% charge). I've driven 62 miles at 279Wh/m which is 17kWh used. If the battery is 50kWh, that means there is 23kwH capacity left from the 40kWh I would have started with at 80% charge. Divide that by the 217, and I should see a range of 106 miles left. I actually see just 85miles left. Everything I have read says the miles remaining on the battery gauge does NOT take into account how you are actually driving. If it did, the 85 miles would make a bit more sense, as this would seem to assume 270 W/m, which is sort of in line with what I did for the 62 miles.

I've see articles saying normal driving is in the 250-300 w/m range, suggesting todays 60 mile trip would suggested is not crazy in-efficiency. The weather is very mild here too currently. so based on todays trip information, my actual likely range for the car is 180 miles, a good 30% less than the advertised 256 miles!!!!

I'm sure I am not the only new owner trying to get there head around this and finding range is way less than expected. Am I alone in this or are others seeing the same issues? Input appreciated!!!

Passion2Fly | 2 ottobre 2019

Use these numbers for reference, they are very close to reality:
https://teslike.com/range/

Also, I suggest installing a phone App to track your driving habits. I use Stats on my iPhone.
The Model 3 is a very efficient car, much better than the older Model S and X.

My driving efficiency is always above 90% no matter how hard I drive my LR RWD. I can hit 120% sometimes if I drive below 60 mph...

lbowroom | 2 ottobre 2019

You haven't mentioned your cruising speed or altitude changes.

andy | 2 ottobre 2019

I used the EV-database website before making a decision on which model to buy as the ranges it quoted for the Leaf under various conditions matched what I had been getting.

Went for the long range version for UK use based on a requirement for 70% of winter range between charges for motorway driving - this maps to starting each day with 90% and hitting charge points at 20%.

I stick to the speed limits and use autopilot a lot - so real world motorway cruising speed is normally in the 60s. Autopilot always pushes you back as everybody is driving around 68-69 and, if you move into lane 3 or 4 at 70 then you don’t get past the traffic anyway and autopilot also (correctly) won’t undertake.

Have been averaging better than 4 miles per kWh over 4K miles in the last 6 weeks, mostly on motorways, but conscious that winter is coming and range is likely to drop. Also needed to top up the tyres the other day as the morning temp has dropped about 10C on the last couple of weeks.

The car displays a 100% charge of around 310 (long range version). The predicted end charge for the end of a trip is pretty much on the button - if anything it adjusts upward by a couple of percent during trips.

You do lose a lot when stopped if sentry mode is active.

andy | 2 ottobre 2019

Link to EV-database: https://ev-database.uk/

tri_t_to | 2 ottobre 2019

I am averaging around 235 kW/h with my 2018 LR RWD. On my daily trips to drop off and pick up my kids from daycare (~6 miles of inside roads each way) I usually get around 196 kW/h. My tire pressure is 42 psi and I live in Fremont, CA so the temperature is usually between 60-80. I am running the AC at all times.

Bighorn | 2 ottobre 2019

Just breathe and take your time to understand things rather than bury us in extraneous data. Probably a thousand identical threads if you exert some due diligence.

BradPDX | 2 ottobre 2019

This topic has my attention. I live around Portland, Oregon and bought a 2019 M3 SR+ RWD in June. Temperate climate, near sea level. I use the car as my daily driver for commuting and around-town stuff, and occasionally drive to the coast (about a 90 mile one-way drive).

I don't think that I drive aggressively, but I routinely find that my "real" miles fall well short of initial "estimated" miles - almost 20% short. An estimated range of 205 miles (my typical 90% charge level) is really only about 175 real miles. I'd be OK with the rated mileage, but this spooks me a bit. A round trip to and from the coast doesn't seem safe.

The math works - I can see that I'm consuming more than the rated energy. Do I just need to chill my driving habits or, is there something I'm missing? Would Chill Mode help reduce energy usage? Should I drive around the mountains rather than going over them? Inquiring minds want to know.

radean84 | 2 ottobre 2019

I'm in the US with a 2019 SR+ and the other day I took a 100 mile round trip with 208 mile range. When I got back home I only had 75 mile range. The reason it wasn't 108 miles was because I like to floor it, I drive over 80mph, I have my wheel covers removed, lower PSI for comfort, and wheel spacers for good looks. I also keep cabin overheat protection on which burns some power just sitting there. Sentry mode will add to it. The one thing I've come to realize is the car is using some power all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your job or something requires you to run it right down to the wire. You'll get to know the car and its capabilities and how they work with your driving style and trips. Once you know your actual limits, everything will be easy to manage as far as charging, etc. There's always going to be some fluctuation... I don't think I've ever received the true MPG a car should get because my right foot has always been quite heavy!!

Bighorn | 2 ottobre 2019

@Brad
You can easily achieve rated miles if you emulate EPA conditions. Obviously you’re not.

BradPDX | 2 ottobre 2019

Well, alrighty then. I'll be more mindful of my evidently lead foot.

lbowroom | 2 ottobre 2019

It's mostly about average speed, why doesn't anyone quote how fast they are driving?

aptwo | 2 ottobre 2019

@RADEAN84 is your regen set to standard yet? or still keeping it low? lol

andy | 2 ottobre 2019

We’ve hit normal UK Autumn to Spring temperatures this morning. Set off at 5C and the temp soon dropped to 4C - notice the roads have also been gritted (usual UK salt mix, won’t impact range, but will soon see what 4-5 months of salt does).

Having got used to the car doing 4 miles per kWh that has dropped to below 3. Trying a trick at the moment of a quick supercharge as the car has been wanting the battery for the last 35 miles to get ready for it. Will be interested to see what happens when I set off again.

Light traffic this morning so far so standard motorway cruising speed of 65-70mph.

HighlandPony | 3 ottobre 2019

Andy, how much are you using the cabin heat with the chilly autumn temperatures setting in?

real-scalextric | 3 ottobre 2019

Thanks all for the comments everyone. Bighorn my post seems to have annoyed you. I actually have read a fair amount, and I shared data, which isn't extraneous. Just saying range seems poor without data isn't very helpful. While I realise there are lots of variables, the maths should still make sense, and I included as it don't seem to add up!

andy | 3 ottobre 2019

@highlandpony - this morning was the first "cold" morning and I pre-heated the cabin. It did occur that I could cut the battery use down by leaving the passenger side cooler and dropping the driver side temp to 19C (which is better for an early morning anyway) - so did that.

The trick of dialling in a supercharger stop at the start fo the journey (35 miles in) worked really well. After the battery had warmed up the next 100 miles were at summer usage. On the way back I nipped into another supercharger that was 7 miles from my start point and gave it a quick blast there. Got 222wh/mile on the 135 miles back after that, although there was also congestion which kept the speed down and the day had warmed up to 12C - so not far below cabin temp.

Could do with a timer for when you want to set out in the morning so hat the car can precondition the battery while on mains.

Bighorn | 3 ottobre 2019

Sorry. I’m pretty versed on these issues and felt buried by numbers to the point of giving up. The UK efficiency ratings didn’t help that perception. Hope you figure it out.

andy | 3 ottobre 2019

@bighorn think my post may have contributed as I posted additional details and also used miles per kWh - not really a UK thing, it’s just the way my Leaf displayed so I find it useful to covert.

Appreciate your view and experience on the stats. I spent a lot of time looking into things before buying. Suspect a lot of owners are quite analytical leading to repeat questions. The table that got linked in this thread was useful. Hadn’t seen that before.

The web site I used a lot before buying had a good simple stats summary for a range of conditions, but I wouldn’t have known the importance and relevance if I hadn’t had a year of driving a Leaf.

Bighorn | 3 ottobre 2019

@andy
No worries. I’m pretty facile with reciprocal expressions. My actual rule of thumb on the road is to allow 2 miles per %SOC and calculate a buffer on top of that. So if I were driving 100 miles, I’d probably leave at 65% SOC to allow a 15% buffer. This will handle most conditions outside of winter.

FISHEV | 3 ottobre 2019

“Bighorn my post seems to have annoyed you.”@Bighorn

He’s annoyed by all new owner posts so don’t feel you need to apologize for the rude responses.

This video may explain your range issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX21N4H8H0

Magic 8 Ball | 4 ottobre 2019

Popcorn, a personal attack on Bighorn.

Where is Fish's buddy stepping up to defend Bighorn on this personal attack?

Crickets

spuzzz123 | 4 ottobre 2019

He hasn’t logged out of his other ID yet.

derotam | 4 ottobre 2019

@real-scalextric

I think the only thing you should look at is battery capacity. If the battery is 50kWh, then you should be able to get 50kWh out of it right? Your numbers seem to support that you do have the correct capacity available to you. The Rated Miles indicator just isn't a good gauge as it seems it is prone to errors being induced that mess up what is SHOWN.

Yes having that number be off is annoying, but as long as your data supports that you are getting the correct pack capacity available to you then there really isn't anything to worry about at this point.

If you are worried about getting the same driven miles as the WLTP or EPA rating, well that is just a matter of your driving efficiency.