Forums

Petro-Canada EV fast charge

Petro-Canada EV fast charge

Hi everyone,

I drive by a Petro Canada everyday with their new EV fast charge. According to their website "Our chargers will provide you with two universal standard connectors – CCS & CHAdeMO" can I plug my Model 3 into any of these connectors? I know the CHAdeMO adaptor on Tesla Canada's website is $602, so this isn't an option. I don't see anything for CCS, and I know the J1772 comes with the car.

More Information:
https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/personal/fuel/ev-fast-charge-network

Thanks in advance.

paulsurette71 | 15 ottobre 2019

UPDATE: Thanks to the PlugShare iPhone app, the location close to me has one Level 2 J1772 station installed, even though this isn't listed on the Petro Canada website. I'll test it out tonight to see how it goes and what speeds I'll get...

Iwantmy3 | 15 ottobre 2019

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter will work at these stations but is limited to 50kW. What we really need is a Tesla CCS adapter capable of charging at full model 3 charging capacity (150kW- 250kW). These do not yet exist.

Iwantmy3 | 15 ottobre 2019

The Level 2 J1772 is good for overnight charging. It is mostly useless on a long trip unless you are desperate or willing to stay there for several hours.

donharvey2323 | 15 ottobre 2019

They have a CCS adapter for S and X in Europe so I would guess it will come to the 3 in the US at some point. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/CCS/CCS_Combo_2_Adapter_en.pdf

FISHEV | 15 ottobre 2019

Tesla did say it would provide the CCS adapter to Model 3 owners by 2019 "if necessary". This came out when Tesla promised (and delivered) the Chademo adapter for Model 3's in US.

I got it and totally worth it if you are limited to public charging. It gives you access to the 50kW/200mph chargers from Blink, EVgo, EA and others which can be a lifesaver when you pull into Vancouver or Tigard high usage SC's and they are full. You can zip over to the Blink or EA sites for a 200mph charge.

The CCS adapter for the S and X in EU is sold for about $100. Should be even less for the Model 3 since all EU Model 3's have CCS ports not Tesla proprietary ports. All the engineering is done and just the cost of the adapter.

With Tesla charger's dramatic increase in usage (a lot of crabby S and X owners with the Model 3 riff raff crowding the formerly unused SC's) and the issues of chargers going down due to high usage, every alternative public charging opportunity is important. CCS's around here offers 250kW charging vs. Tesla's 150kW and that's if there is no crowd and chargers are working. So quick full charges if Model 3 can handle the 250kW CCS which Tesla says it can.

rxlawdude | 15 ottobre 2019

@donharvey, "Note: Vehicles built before May 1, 2019 are not equipped with CCS charging capability. To install
this capability, please contact Tesla service."

FISHEV | 15 ottobre 2019

What is the physical setup of the CCS chargers? Is it setup for front or rear charger port @paulsurette71?

donharvey2323 | 15 ottobre 2019

@rxlawdude This is written for S and X. The 3 had more updated tech than S and X. For example, the V3 supercharger works with the LR 3 and not S or X.

paulsurette71 | 15 ottobre 2019

@fishev Here is a pic. I'm not sure if this is what your asking for:

https://www.pumptalk.ca/images/pumptalk-evchargers-night-sm.jpg

FISHEV | 15 ottobre 2019

Nice pic...nice EV charger with both CCS and Chademo. You can use it now with the Chademo.

The chargers in the pic are pull in chargers. Some like the ones in this pick are pull through chargers. These are Electrify America fast charger bank a mile from the Vancouver WA SC. These have 1 x Chademo at 50kW that I can user and 7 x CCS at up to 350kW chargers I can't use...yet.

https://imgur.com/53ZYG15

paulsurette71 | 16 ottobre 2019

I tested the Petro-Canada charger last night as just a test. It's nice to know where the chargers are on your route. I was able to plug in with the J1772 adapter and got 43 km/hr. For comparison, I get 53 km/h at home with my Tesla Wall Charger.

calvin940 | 16 ottobre 2019

@paulsurette71
"I get 53 km/h at home with my Tesla Wall Charger"
-----------------
I have a NEMA 14-50 at home and charging is max at 32A / 240V and charges at 47km/hr max. What setup do you have where you are getting 53?

Iwantmy3 | 16 ottobre 2019

calvin940,
My Tesla home charger is on a 50 amp circuit and pulls 40 amps continuous power. I get 64 km/h. It looks like these are giving 30 amps continuous power. Your home charger would be limited to 25.6 amp continuous power.

paulsurette71 | 16 ottobre 2019

@calvin940 My screen reads 53 km/hr 237 V 32/32 A, I'm using the Tesla Wall Charger on a 50A breaker...