Forums

Winter tires/Rims

Winter tires/Rims

Model 3 Performance checking in-

I live in a cold, snowy part of Upstate NY. Pulling tires on and off rims every season sucks. My mechanic friend hates it with a passion. I would like to just buy a pair of winter rims with tires for easy switch out every season.

What are my options? I'd preferably like to get Blizzaks or something equally badass in the snow. I'm not sure what rims I should/can fit on my Model 3 Performance though.

Rodark | 19 ottobre 2019

Also would the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 be better since they have low rolling resistance?

howard | 19 ottobre 2019

I bought a second set of 18" wheels from TireRack and a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from Costco. Had Costco mount and balance with nitrogen. Love the setup.

bjrosen | 19 ottobre 2019

Costco.com also sells rims, you have to buy them online and then take them to the store they don't ship them directly to their stores.

Bighorn | 19 ottobre 2019

X-Ice have had twice the tread life of Blizzaks on my Model S. TireRack will show you your options for rims and tires.

coleAK | 19 ottobre 2019

If you have a performance 18” rim options are very limited. MKe sure you getnones that will clear the caliper

howard | 19 ottobre 2019

No so much anymore. Tire rack has the Performance plus option listed so it will show you all the 18” rims that will fit a Tesla M3 with big brakes.

TireRack shows 18 rim options ranging from 165 to 241 bucks a corner. 6 different tire options.

Glenlakehouse | 19 ottobre 2019

I preferred to go the Costco route for purchase and installation, however Costco warehouses (in the Chicago area anyway) will not lift Tesla's. I'd been really happy with Costco tires and service when I owned ICE vehicles. Last year I had the Tesla promoted winter tire package ($2,000) installed at a Tesla SC. These are the Pirelli Sotozero series 2 and I was really happy with the huge improvement in traction and braking vs. the factory installed all-seasons. I know many owners who've installed the Michelin X-Ice (as others have mentioned here) are really happy with those as well. Winter tires (whatever brand you choose) will be a notable improvement over all-seasons.

Joseb | 19 ottobre 2019

I'm still undecided between the Blizzak and the XIce.
@Bighorn, you mentioned you have used both, besides the tread life, any other differences? I want the best possible traction on snowy/icy conditions. :-)

I'd say they're comparable traction and that's the conventional wisdom. The only brand that seems to sit above the usual suspects is Nokian. I happened to run a set of X-Ice 12 months straight which is why I know they lasted me 58k miles before one was taken out by a pothole on a trip. Any other tire, I would have switched out as soon as snow was no longer a likely possibility because dry traction was always wanting. Not so with the X-Ice. I didn't feel like I had to be ginger about not spinning the tires. I'm referencing a RWD P85+. Blizzaks gave around 30k miles and Nokians slightly less, if I had to estimate since I wasn't journaling.

Panevino | 20 ottobre 2019

I've been reading some reviews for PERFORMANCE winter tires, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, from Costco is very good. I'm considering that over the Perelli Sotozero series 2 from Tesla (and saving $700). The Michelins do have a 30K warranty, not so on the Pirelli brand. These are for 20" and they are 20" performance winter tires. Our costo has the certified Telsa lifts to do the tire changes (Glenlakehouse)

Rodark | 21 ottobre 2019

We have a lot of snow and ice every winter. I need something that absolutely performs the best. It has to be a marked improvement though. For example, between the X-ice and Blizzaks, if the Blizzaks edge out winter performance only a little bit that doesn't really count.

I'm glad to hear there are 18" rim options that actually clear the calipers though. That would have sucked if not.

95dawg | 21 ottobre 2019

Worked as a journeyman mechanic while in college and I dreaded fall days when first threat of snow showed up on a weather forecast. Ten hour shifts doing nothing but tire dismount/mount. Your fingers are freezing while trying to pop 285/30 tire while making sure to not damage the (usually expensive) rims. I know tire changer machines have gotten easier to use over the years, but it's still a skilled work.

My advice is definitely look for shops that have good reputation for working on low profile tires.

Joe from Accessories | 5 dicembre 2019

Hey @Rodark! We just launched our 19" winter wheel and tire package for Performance Model 3. It's a great looking wheel, wrapped in exceptional PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZER tires.

Check it out here: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-19_-gemini-wheel-and-winter-tire-...

FISHEV | 5 dicembre 2019

"Pulling tires on and off rims every season sucks."

It does? I pull into LesSchwab, they grab the car, I sit down with iPad and 15 minutes later drive away with my Summer tires in clean plastic bags and easy to transport.

Lugging wheels and tires to and from the garage would be my idea of a sucking.

FISHEV | 5 dicembre 2019

Just put on Xice 245/40/18 on 18" wheels which I had painted Tesla silver.

MoonDog | 6 dicembre 2019

I went with a new set of Tesla Aero wheels (18") so that I could get the slight efficiency benefit once the cover is on. For tires I went with the Continental VikingContact 7 because of winter performance/value (had seen some good reviews). Would've considered the Blizzaks WS90 if they didn't have a lower load index rating than recommended (94 vs 98). For stems I bought pre-programmed from Amazon. Happy so far.

The continental by the way have a rebate offer going on till end of the year.

rgprojectx | 6 dicembre 2019

Joe from Accessories

Please explain to me why this new gemini rim and tire package is only for the performance model with the big brakes. Why can't my standard brakes (smaller diameter) fit inside the rim specified for the larger calipers. Makes no sense...