Forums

Weak Wi-fi

Weak Wi-fi

I have a 2016 and a 2019 S but for some reason the 2016 has a weak Wi-Fi signal compared to he 2019 and I can't get the update to run on the 2016

murphyS90D | 24 ottobre 2019

Is the 2019 between the 2016 and the WiFi access point? If it is, move the 2019 and see if it affects the WiFi signal level. Radio waves do not go through metal.

I repurposed an old wireless router as a wireless access point and put it in the garage 10' from the car.

TeslaTap.com | 24 ottobre 2019

The WiFi antenna is in the left side mirror. Any chance your 2016 car is farther away from the router than the newer 2019? Or is 2016 oriented differently? Maybe switch where each car is parked. I'm fairly sure the in-car antenna placement hasn't changed, although 2019 has a better WiFi modem in the car (and supports 5 GHz). Also if you're using 5 GHz on the router, that might stop your 2016 car, which only does 2.4 GHz.

nipper2 | 25 ottobre 2019

The 2016 is in the garage the 2019 is in the driveway but I did switch them and id did not make a difference. Wi-Fi is 4 GHz

EVRider | 25 ottobre 2019

What exactly do you mean by “can’t get the update to run”? Do you mean you see the yellow download icon that tells you to connect to WiFi to download the update but you can’t download? Or that you haven’t received the update yet? Did you get any V10 update for your 2016?

murphyS90D | 25 ottobre 2019

@ nipper2

"The 2016 is in the garage the 2019 is in the driveway but I did switch them and id did not make a difference. Wi-Fi is 4 GHz"

WiFi is either 2.4 GHz or for the latest cars 5 GHz may be possible.

CatTrax | 25 ottobre 2019

If your car's ability to receive other WiFi signals in general is a non-issue . . . problem might be the distance from your router in the house. Our router is on the 3rd floor. Could not get a signal in the car in the garage. Added a WiFi extender and solved the problem quickly and inexpensively.

nipper2 | 25 ottobre 2019

@CatTrax Would mine telling me which one you bought?

jerrykham | 25 ottobre 2019

@TeslaTap - correction - the antenna is supposed to be in the right-side mirror, not the left. Your excellent article does say right-side.

TeslaTap.com | 26 ottobre 2019

@jerrykham - That's what I get for using my memory :) Actually, I know it's the right side, even looked inside it. No idea why I typed left. Thanks for the correction.

CatTrax | 26 ottobre 2019

@nipper2 - purchased a NetGear AC750 dual band WiFi range extender EX6100 (renewed) from Amazon for $34.99. You don't have to have a NetGear router for it to do it's deal. Took me 5 minutes to set up. Good luck!!

nipper2 | 26 ottobre 2019

@CatTrax I ordered the same on where did you locate it ? I have two Modems 1 personal the one for the home and 1 business. Home is the one I use for the house/car/Tesla Power Walls

nipper2 | 26 ottobre 2019

@CatTrax I ordered the same on where did you locate it ? I have two Modems 1 personal the one for the home and 1 business. Home is the one I use for the house/car/Tesla Power Walls

CatTrax | 26 ottobre 2019

@nipper2 - our modem and router is located on 3rd floor of our house. Garage is attached. Placed the WiFi extender on the 2nd floor above the garage area. Doesn't matter how many modems or routers you have . . . you configure the extender for the router who's signal you wish to amplify. The password for the extended signal remains the same as that for the original router. Did the same thing at our cabin that has a detached garage. Works perfectly there too. Handles software updates remarkably well.

Tesla2018 | 26 ottobre 2019

I noticed that my cellphone can pick up a lot of signals when Im parked at a shopping mall but the car doesnt pick up half of them. Is this normal or does the car only pick up really strong signals?

murphyS90D | 27 ottobre 2019

Your phone can see 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals. The car can only see 2.4 GHz signals unless it is really new. I don't remember the date 5 GHz was added.

nipper2 | 27 ottobre 2019

@CatTrax What year is your car?

TeslaTap.com | 27 ottobre 2019

Wifi for 5 GHz is on only on S/X made after 1-March-2018 (i.e. they have MCU2).

CatTrax | 27 ottobre 2019

@nipper2 - 2019. WiFi extender will boost both 2.4 and 5 Ghz signals.

nipper2 | 28 ottobre 2019

@CarTrax So I followed your lead I purchased the same Extender from Amazon and now have full strength on the Wi-Fi in the car. So thank You. nipper2 in NJ

CatTrax | 28 ottobre 2019

Glad to know it successfully worked out for you!!

CatTrax | 28 ottobre 2019

BTW, that's CatTrax of Memphis, TN and the UP of Michigan!! Cheers!!

nipper2 | 28 ottobre 2019

CatTrax again Thanks

dvernier | 4 novembre 2019

I have never been able to connect my P100 DL to my WI-FI. The WI-FI comes from my NetGear router located on a top shelf in the basement approximately 30 feet away from the car. The signal strength showing on the Tesla WI-FI indicator only had about 50% of the signal bars showing. So, I ran an Ethernet, CAT 5, line from the basement router to another router that I put it in the garage, but the Tesla could not connect to it even with maximum WI-FI signal bars showing on its on the indicator. I thought it might be a problem with the Tesla not accepting my routers security settings, so I turned off the security on both routers, and the Tesla could still not connect. I have a good Verizon cell phone signal at the garage and I understand why Tesla mandated the delivered the GPS map updates by WI-FI, but it seems they could go back to also using cell phone connection, for those of us who have Tesla's with poor WI-FI receive capability.

EVRider | 6 novembre 2019

@dvernier: It’s possible there’s a problem with the WiFi antenna in your car, but see if any of the troubleshooting tips in this article help: https://teslatap.com/articles/wifi-guide-and-troubleshooter-for-tesla-ve...