Forums

Battery Warranty replacement leads to major problems

Battery Warranty replacement leads to major problems

About 2 weeks ago, I had to take my 2013 Model S to get serviced for what turned out to be a battery fault issue. The battery replacement was covered under warranty but they gave me an option to upgrade to a 70kwh battery for $2000 more. So I agreed to that. After waiting for the battery to come in, it was installed and was then discovered that another component had to be replaced, the ELECTRIC BATTERY HEATER (Part #1038901-00G) at a cost of $630. I had to technician explain what the issue was and why it was only discovered after the battery replacement. I was given an explanation that the error code was showing an external fault, rather than an internal fault after the battery was replacement. It was a bit suspicious, but I didn't press the issue too much as I thought I was still getting a decent deal with the battery upgrade. That original invoice after labor and taxes came out to $2969.

When I picked up my car earlier this week, from the moment I sat inside, was that suddenly my MCU display has a bunch of water bubbles formed at the top. After bringing it up to the Service Adviser, I was told that the technician said the bubbles were there when the car came in. It absolutely was not like this when the car first arrived. Unfortunately, I had no recourse because there is no way I could say that a person could have created that problem and I know that these MCUs suffer from 3 common issues (water bubbles, eMMC chip failure, yellow tinting) from reading forums. I was told the repair for the screen would be $1600 plus tax and labor.

Turns out this wasn't the only bad news. After I took the car home, the next morning I found out the car did not charge overnight as per its scheduled time. I tried to charge it manually, but after a few seconds the instrument cluster would show 2 messages "Unable to charge" and "Maximum AC charge rate reduced". After contacting Tesla, I took the car back to the center, and they confirmed that although the supercharging worked, the regular charger did not. Today, I was told that the Master 10kW Charger (Part #6009278-00F) needs to be replaced. No explanation was given (I'm awaiting a response). The replacement would cost $2703 for yet another issue that did not exist prior to my service appointment.

At this point, I am highly suspicious that the need to replace the charger is directly related to the battery upgrade as the 2 components are directly related. They are claiming that it is not covered under warranty, but I can't help but think there is liability on Tesla's part for creating new problems that did not exist prior to the initial battery upgrade.

Anyone considering doing a battery upgrade may want to be aware of subsequent problems that might arise.

I think Tesla should be liable for this issue, as it directly relates to the battery upgrade that was covered under warranty. Does anyone have any advice on any possible recourse I should explore? Someone has told me to take the service center to small claims court over the issue, but I am a fan of the company and a longer time investor, so I don't wish to engage in anything that would hurt the company's reputation. I just want my car back in working condition after already agreeing to nearly $3k in upgrades and repairs.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

starojam | 6 novembre 2019

Look into https://www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/ once your car is stable again.

pwwatson | 7 novembre 2019

Sorry you are going through this. I had battery failure on my 2015 P90D just last month. They replaced it at no charge under the warranty. Other than a two-week wait, no complaints or hassles. So far it is working fine.

TeslaTap.com | 7 novembre 2019

Sorry for all your problems.

I can't answer about the charger failure, although it has little to do with the battery replacement. They are not in physical contact, nor should the charger be touched when replacing the battery.

On the MCU bubbles are not water, but air due to a broken seal. Often people don't see it until they become large enough. They slowly form over time, if the seal has failed. I watched mine grow over several months before I bothered to replace it. Displays that have some risk of the bubbles do not have the yellow issue - that was in a later generation display. You might wait and see if there could be an MCU2 retrofit. It might cost more, but you get the current generation and some new features. The bubbles will not affect the display function - just doesn't' look nice.

Bighorn | 7 novembre 2019

I'd also agree that a lot of this does not seem causative. I thought I responded to the same thread a couple days ago.