Forums

Have 123 volts, 12 amps, won’t add miles

Have 123 volts, 12 amps, won’t add miles

I am at a different location for work. I plugged into a wall outlet and the charger is green, have volts and amps but it isn’t adding miles. It’s rather cold out, like 15 degrees, might play a role. Any thoughts?

jdcollins5 | 15 novembre 2019

All of the energy is apparently going to heat the cabin. It will be hard to gain any charging in cold weather with that source.

jlm001243 | 15 novembre 2019

It tries to heat the cabin while charging automatically?

hokiegir1 | 15 novembre 2019

Likely using wall power to warm the battery. It may start charging in a little while (once it's been warmed), but it likely won't be the normal 5mph added -- will probably be a little slower, as it will still need to maintain the temp to add range.

SnowZA | 15 novembre 2019

I have 230 volts here in Europe. It normally charges up at around 20km added per hour. When it is cold out, (it has been around freezing here), the charge rate drops to around 2-3km added per hour with the cabin heater on. Turning off climate bumps that back up to 20km, and climbing out of the car and letting it do its thing without climate running keeps it at around that. I have noticed that in the morning, preconditioning the car can take so much energy that even plugged in to the wall, I see a couple of km range drop just from the heating cycle.
TLDR: turn off your cabin heater if you want to gain any range at all in cold weather.

Bighorn | 15 novembre 2019

It’s the cold. Same as it ever was. The battery can’t charge when it’s under 25F. Energy is going to warming the battery

So, it’s odd. Says 0 or 1 per hour but it’s been plugged in for about 45 minutes and added 4 miles.

Bighorn | 15 novembre 2019

The battery will show more miles as it warms. It doesn’t mean they’ve been added, but more like recovered from the cold. A snowflake should appear showing what percent of the battery charge is inaccessible.

Ohhhhh that makes more sense now. Thanks everyone. Only had it two months.