Forget the CT a P100D beats a Ford 4x4 in a tug-o-war

andy.connor.e | 11 dicembre 2019

this is a bad test. the sun was in his eyes

Joshan | 11 dicembre 2019

he was low on gas!

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 11 dicembre 2019

X started earlier. At least that what it looks like

Joshan | 11 dicembre 2019

@ww_spb ya its more comedic than a real test. Just found it funny.

he was using ethanol

WEST TEX EV | 11 dicembre 2019

Describe fair test.

“Factory stock”?
Same weight?
Identical tires?
Base AWD Model 3 vs F350?

(At least this was a 4WD Ford, that is clear.....)

teslamazing | 11 dicembre 2019

Wow !

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 11 dicembre 2019

Funny indeed

TexasBob | 11 dicembre 2019

"Physics is the law. Everything else is a recommendation."

(ICYMI, Elon Musk quoting Neil deGrasse Tyson when explaining TO Neil deGrasse Tyson why Cyber Truck will win a tug-of-war with the F150.)

M3phan | 11 dicembre 2019

It wasn’t fair, he was driving an ICE vehicle

If anything this is yet another example about how ICE trucks have inferior traction/grip.

WEST TEX EV | 11 dicembre 2019

This should be done longer as clutch/torque converter will get a workout / WEAR OUT!!

coleAK | 11 dicembre 2019

Great video and a legitimately competition unlike the CT video pulling a 2wd truck. Ford didn’t have a chance.

This is all about tires. Probably both are close to same weight, both AWD/4wd, x is running performance “sticky” tires, LT tires run high psi and tend to have a hard compound. That and the f150 has much less weight % over the rear axel.

kevin_rf | 11 dicembre 2019

Now, Elon needs to pit a Cyber Truck against a Model X. My money is on the X.

jordanrichard | 11 dicembre 2019

You know, it’s funny how Elon/Tesla is getting called out for the F150 tug of war, yet no one raised the BS flag on the hyperbole about an EV F150 pulling a million pounds of rail cars. I believe it was back in the 80’s a guy with a harness on, pulled 12 rail cars by himself. Once he got a little momentum going, you could see it was becoming easier for him. So the BS with Ford is the impression they were giving that their truck can pull 1,000,000 pounds.

Bighorn | 11 dicembre 2019

Trimotor will embarrass an X, too.

coleAK | 11 dicembre 2019

@ big horn. Tug o war not necessarily. In asphalt A 3 motor CT on LT AT tires at proper psi vs a X on P metric z rated tires. As long as the two are close to the same weight and the connection point is similar height my money is on the X.

Watching this video the f 150 had an advantage with a higher strap connection point as the x was also pulling his back end down and he was slightly pulling the x up.

Bighorn | 11 dicembre 2019

@cole
Since the Trimotor will have two batteries, the weight advantage of the CT is considerable. It will also have significantly more power available through the 3 motors.

adoh2010 | 11 dicembre 2019

Another thread that's irrelevant to this sub forum about a test that's pointless. Both vehicles have more torque than traction, the heavier vehicle with the stickier tires won.

Ford backed out of the challenge, it was won already when that happened.

Ross1 | 12 dicembre 2019

He was blonde

inconel | 12 dicembre 2019

Conclusion at the end: "I am getting a Cyber Truck"

coleAK | 12 dicembre 2019

@bighorn. In a pull like this power is pointless beyond a point because the one with less traction will spin tires and be pulled backwards like in this video.

And the X would have an even larger advantage if the CT is on the Goodyear wrangler MT/R’s like the current prototype.

WEST TEX EV | 12 dicembre 2019

This may be the fairest way to decide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_pulling

^^^^. If really trying to gauge capability I fully agree with a good ol tractor pull.

lbowroom | 12 dicembre 2019

Speaking of tractor pulls.. If you read the threads on this topic you'll start asking yourself these questions:

Why do they have tractor pulls? They aren't fair. To make them fair all contestants have to use the same tires and same loaded weight otherwise you should just weigh the contestants and give1st place to the heaviest vehicle... Right?

@Lbow. Tractor pulls are different since they are all pulling the same thing a mechanical weighted sled that effectively gets heavier the farther it goes. And they do have weight classes and every vehicle is extremely close to the max weight for their class. Also they all pretty much use the same tires. Just like Slicks or any other specialized tire class every brand is almost the same and each has their theory on why theirs is best.

wiboater4 | 13 dicembre 2019

So Ok I have some friends who have diesel pickups . First thing they brought up was it isn't fair because Tesla is AWD and the trucks are 4 WD so on the 4WD not all wheels are locked in . I did notice on the Raptor against the model X though if you watch the wheels on the ford 3 of them are spinning forwad as he's pulled backwards. .

Joshan | 13 dicembre 2019

So it is Tesla's fault that they have better technology?

jimglas | 13 dicembre 2019

who oiled his wheels?

coleAK | 13 dicembre 2019

There are many variations of 4wd. And I’m 99% sure that isn’t a raptor. I think it’s a f150 with painted wheel flairs and crappy rims/tires: can’t see the blue fox shocks in the wheel wells, lower front bumper and tail gate dont look raptor, Seats don’t look like the Ricaro’s, and no centerline on the steering wheel.

Raptor also has a locking rear diff so with it engaged it forces the rear wheels to spin the same, but it has to be engaged to work. Also he should have had it in low range.

My g wagon was and my 80 series land cruiser are “triple locked” 4wd with lockers on front, center, and rear diffs. With all 3 engaged all 4 wheels will always spin at the same speed.

Ross1 | 13 dicembre 2019

So put your Land Cruiser and G wagons up against The MX P100D. Challenge.

coleAK | 13 dicembre 2019

^^^. I don’t have the G- wagon any more. But I would put my Lx570 or 80 series against one. The 80 would probably do better than the LX

ReD eXiLe ms us | 14 dicembre 2019

Wow. So many excuses for ICE technology...

· The Sun was up.
· It was Tuesday.
· He needed a head start.
· Electric vehicles don't use 'track approved fuels'.
· The Model X should at least have the decency to make it look like the Ford ~*might*~ stand a chance.
· It ain't fair! WAH! I want my Mommy!

Dude. ICE lost. AGAIN. Get over it.

jimglas | 14 dicembre 2019

but the truck looks more manly

Varricks | 14 dicembre 2019

Loved the cameragirl's response: "Holy... craaap...."

The Tesla was also giving the truck a traction advantage by having the tow strap mounted lower, giving more down force to the truck. Which still lost.

I'm just happy that Tesla almost revived the Studebaker Wagonaire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFl23P30bNA

But the evening's still young....

kevin_rf | 15 dicembre 2019

You forgot, the sun has been sunspot free for the longest period of time since the start of the space age. That's most likely the reason the ICE lost, bankwrupcy for sure...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 15 dicembre 2019

Varricks: Hudson, Kaiser, Studebaker... All brands that were just as dead by my youth as Pontiac, Oldsmobile Mercury, and Plymouth are to my youngest Nephew.

Varricks | 17 dicembre 2019

Yeah, bloody "progress". That and the industrial entropists. O well. Or, as John Sebastian said, "our greatest fears will be his cartoons".