Forums

Visualizations and HW3

Visualizations and HW3

I have an SR+ built in June, and while I was told during delivery I had HW3, I was not getting the option to see visualizations. I confirmed via chat with service that instead,in fact I have HW2.5.

Also came across this link https://youtu.be/FdRxAcNGPtU and in comments some with build dates as late as October were still getting 2.5. Thought I’d share, in case some of you assumed, or even told like me that you were on HW3 and are wondering why you’re not getting the option for visualizations.

sananpx | 28 dicembre 2019

I got delivery in March 2019 and I learned later that my car is 2018 built. This company is not straight when it comes to what they tell and what the sell.

stingray.don | 28 dicembre 2019

sananpx | December 28, 2019
I got delivery in March 2019 and I learned later that my car is 2018 built. This company is not straight when it comes to what they tell and what the sell.

I’d like to see documentation of that claim. Tesla has had difficulty keeping up with demand with lengthy wait times for delivery of model 3s. Cars do not sit in inventory for weeks let alone months. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but it seems more plausible that you are mistaken on the manufacture date or this was a demo car.

BBarndpt | 28 dicembre 2019

I think it’s entirely plausible that he received older inventory when he purchased. When I ordered my M3 I was matched with my car before I left the showroom. Tesla ships inventory all over the nation and it sits until someone purchases that car. In California and other places, demand is high and inventory is likely constantly changed over. In places like northwest Florida, not so much. Nobody informed me when my car was built at purchase. In fact, I had no clue until I opened the door. I purchased mid-Sept and received a car built in August.

M3phan | 28 dicembre 2019

@ Smalm, do you have fsd purchased?

stingray.don | 28 dicembre 2019

BBarndpt,

6 weeks from production to delivery seems reasonable. However, 3 months and I am skeptical. Even if that were the case, the poster states, "This company is not straight when it comes to what they tell and what the sell." However, there would be no difference between a December '18 through March '19 build as they both would have HW 2.5. His/her story and beef with Tesla just seems a little fishy to me.

Smalm | 28 dicembre 2019

@M3phan, no I did not purchase FSD, but had always considered buying it depending on amount of tax refund this year, which was why I asked for confirmation that it had HW3 prior to delivery. It makes sense maybe they did a calculated decision to equip non-FSD cars with 2.5, but not sure why they would announce all cars made after 4/22 would have HW3. Who knows, not a huge deal for me, and I still may purchase after I do tax returns, just might have to wait in line a while to get the upgrade.

crmedved | 28 dicembre 2019

I purchased a M3 in March 2019 and it was built Dec 2018. It was listed as a 2018 model year on the sales form and I received a discount. I didn't care because a 2019 would be the same (from March anyway). They did tell me in advance though. If you're concerned, the manufacturer date should be listed on the driver door stickers, I think.

Or if you do your own financing, they'll send you your car's birth certificate :)

Smalm | 29 dicembre 2019

@crmedved not sure if was directed at me, if so thanks, and already confirmed mine was a June build. Purpose of thread was to let others know that if they assumed their car has HW3 because build was after 4/22, that they may not. Especially for anyone that may have purchased FSD prior to price increase.

TeslaTap.com | 29 dicembre 2019

Does 2.5 vs. 3.0 matter? If you buy FSD, you get upgraded to the 3.0 AP processor if your car has HW2.5.

Smalm | 29 dicembre 2019

@TeslaTap, I just wanted to see the visualizations haha. But on a more serious note who’s to say? HW3 is a much faster, superior chip. It is certainly conceivable that in the near future any improvements to standard autopilot are only on HW3, heck standard AP may already be better on HW3, I have no way of knowing. At the moment a non-issue for me as I don’t have FSD, just a bit surprised after being told I had HW3 along with Tesla announcement, to find out I don’t. That’s life.

rescuer | 29 dicembre 2019

I took delivery of my model 3 in July 2019, that I ordered with FSD (leased vehicle actually). I do not have visualization. Does anyone know if my vehicle is (at this point at least) incapable of FSD once enabled by Tesla? Manufacture date in door frame shows 6/19

rescuer | 29 dicembre 2019

I took delivery of my model 3 in July 2019, that I ordered with FSD (leased vehicle actually). I do not have visualization. Does anyone know if my vehicle is (at this point at least) incapable of FSD once enabled by Tesla? Manufacture date in door frame shows 6/19

stingray.don | 29 dicembre 2019

rescuer,

Did you enable the functionality as stated in the release notes?

EVRider | 29 dicembre 2019

Can someone provide actual evidence that a Tesla (any model) built after April 2019 has HW2.5 rather than HW3? I'm not buying that without proof.

Why would Tesla continue to use HW2.5 after they started producing HW3, since it would cost them more down the road to replace the HW2.5 processor for people who bought FSD?

Some people aren't getting the new visualizations because they don't realize you have to enable FSD Preview under Controls > Autopilot to see them (or they don't have the correct software version). Some people using third-party utilities like TeslaFi might think they have HW2.5 instead of HW3 because those utilities are unable to determine the correct HW version.

Smalm | 29 dicembre 2019

@EVRider, my build date was 6/19 (on my door) chat with service indicated / confirmed I am on 2.5. Good question as to why they would announce it as of April but continue to roll out 2.5 as it is a built in service visit, unless they are banking on a bunch of people never paying for FSD

Lonestar10_1999 | 29 dicembre 2019

@smalm - I agree. Tesla must figure that the inventory of 2.5 would need to be either installed or scrapped. I guess it makes sense to install the 2.5 rather than take the write off. For most companies, the bean counters dictate policy.

Pg3ibew | 29 dicembre 2019

@sanapax, How could you not know the build date until later? The Monroney report states the build date. You get that the day you buy the car.

TeslaTap.com | 29 dicembre 2019

According to Tesla, the HW3 AP hardware is cheaper to make than HW2.x. I can't see any reason they would continue to ship HW2.5 months after they said every car has HW3, but I guess it could be possible. If you have FSD and the .50 release and have the features enabled, you can confirm HW3 by seeing stop signs, stop lights and traffic cones in the visualization. Without FSD and the latest software, you can't easily tell if you have HW2.x or HW3.0.

Smalm | 29 dicembre 2019

@Lonestar, too true about the bean counters. Wish they would have shipped the remaining 2.5 boards to China, and gave us the HW3 as announced ;)

jebinc | 30 dicembre 2019

Could be limited supplies of HW3 as HW3 chips might have been constrained due to smaller die size or something. I would guess this is the reason for installing 2.5 into June built cars. They wanted to ship cars but where short HW3 computers.... Luckily, I got a HW3 late June build LR AWD.

Scrannel | 30 dicembre 2019

Honestly, though cool, the new visualizations are not that wow. Although noticed yesterday as I pulled into our driveway, that the car mistook our pumpkin for a traffic cone. Maybe it sees orange?

EVRider | 30 dicembre 2019

@Smalm: Service has been known to give incorrect information, so I still wouldn’t rule out that you actually have HW3. I don’t know if the new traffic light and stop sign visualizations only appear if you have FSD, or if anyone with HW3 sees them — does anyone else know? I assumed anyone with HW3 would see them, but I don’t know.

If Tesla continued producing cars with HW2.5 after they publicly announced that all Tesla cars had HW3, in my opinion they would need to provide free upgrades to the affected owners even if they didn’t purchase FSD. People didn’t get what they thought they were paying for.

Smalm | 30 dicembre 2019

@EVRider - yes I’ve seen some posts of people that have seen visualizations that do not own FSD. I’m pretty certain it’s true I have 2.5, as I did the codec test on sentry clips and it indicates AVC, whereas HW3 should be HEVC.

Kary993 | 30 dicembre 2019

@sananpx - I agree took delivery March 2019 and the car was a December 2018 M3P.....no one bothered to mention that until I looked at paperwork after they left the home delivery. I don't think they are being dishonest I think they are just not very organized.....

Smalm | 30 dicembre 2019

Well just found some info debunking the codec as a way to tell which HW you have so disregard prior post. Fact remains have not seen cones and do not have a toggle though.

Smalm | 31 dicembre 2019
greg.a.hills | 31 dicembre 2019

I have a may 2019 build and a June 2019 delivery. I definitely have hardware 2.5. I didn’t purchase fsd as of yet. But was expecting my car to have hwd 3.0. That’s what I expected to get when I bought my car. So I do hope Tesla updates my car to hwd 3.0 for free as that is the car hardware I paid for at the time. Not sure that would happen but I at least hope I can pay a small fee to get 3.0 without fsd to have the new chip

CharleyBC | 31 dicembre 2019

It sounds like at some point after the big April 2019 cut-over to HW3, they discovered a closet full of HW2.5 computers and figured they might as well use them. So we have the folks above with more recent build dates with HW2.5.

As for the visualizations, I saw a post either here or at TMC when 40.50 was rolling out that Elon said the visualizations would only be on HW3 since they ran out of time. That would seem to say that time rather than computational power is the limiting factor for visualizations on HW2.5. That in turn seems to imply that those of us on 2.5 may see the visualizations one of these days.

stingray.don | 31 dicembre 2019

greg.a.hills,

The free upgrades to HW3 only apply to those that purchase FSD. There’s really not much benefit to having HW3 without FSD.

jrweiss98020 | 31 dicembre 2019

Is there a display on/in the car that gives the HW version?

Smalm | 31 dicembre 2019

@jrweiss98020 - nope there isn’t. There are YouTube vids out there (referenced in link I posted above) that show how to remove a panel below the glove box to see pet number of the computer.

EVRider | 31 dicembre 2019

@stingray.don: Since Tesla apparently shipped cars with HW2.5 after they said they had transitioned to HW3, I don't think it's going to be easy for them to deny upgrades to owners without FSD, because they didn't get what they thought they were buying. What if Tesla continued to produce AP1 cars after they had said they had transitioned to EAP? I think the reason this hasn't gotten more attention is because not many people know about it.

HW3 already adds new visualizations even if you don't have FSD, and chances are regular Autopilot benefits from the faster processor, so even people without FSD can get benefits from HW3.

Note that my Teslas (both of them) were produced before the transition to HW3, so this issue doesn't impact me personally. I also have FSD in both cars so I'll be getting the upgrade.

Scrannel | 1 gennaio 2020

Well, the car must see Orange. My pumpkin appears as a traffic cone. A fallen piece of orange plastic at the market, again, seen as a cone. Then, going through a traffic light that was transitioning from green to red -- suddenly saw the center, orange, light on the stop light. Does not appear to see yellow, not sure about red.

FISHEV | 1 gennaio 2020

"I have a may 2019 build and a June 2019 delivery. I definitely have hardware 2.5."

Picked up my LR AWD on May 16, 2019 and it has HW3, sees the lights, signs and cones. Tesla plays loose with the features like HW3, MCU2, range so that customers don't really know what they are buying. I think I researched it pretty well but I wasn't looking HW3, MCU2 etc when I purchased yet upgrading to them is a roughly $5k-$7k proposition.

jimglas | 1 gennaio 2020

Happy new year fish!
Nice to see you are still wrong

apodbdrs | 2 gennaio 2020

@FISHEV, you don't make zero sense? Do you honestly expect the specs, paperwork or salesperson to tell your car has or doesn't have HW3. You are paying for FSD, a feature that remains to be finalized. In addition, you will know if HW3 is installed, otherwise FSD settings won't be available. I am surprised your aren't complaining about what software version was going to be in the car at time of delivery????

Why did you buy FSD when you have stated you have never even used AP.

FISH you certainly are known for spreading FUD regarding Tesla, even if you say own one!

@FISHEV, you don't make zero sense? Do you honestly expect the specs, paperwork or salesperson to tell your car has or doesn't have HW3. You are paying for FSD, a feature that remains to be finalized. In addition, you will know if HW3 is installed, otherwise FSD settings won't be available. I am surprised your aren't complaining about what software version was going to be in the car at time of delivery????

Why did you buy FSD when you have stated you have never even used AP.

FISH you certainly are known for spreading FUD regarding Tesla, even if you say own one!

travisimo18 | 23 gennaio 2020

Designed my own Model 3 in July 2019 WITH FSD purchase and my door shows 05/19 manufacture date. Chat told me the same thing today, I have 2.5 and will need to update to HW 3.0 to gain the new FSD preview visualizations. My hope is that situations like this will be able to get priority in doing the upgrade as I paid for FSD and was under the impression that all new vehicles after 04/19 would have HW 3.0.