Forums

Beware of Indio Supercharger issues.

Beware of Indio Supercharger issues.

Stopped in Indio to charge. First charger would only charge at 214 miles per hour, not shared, moved to another one, it went to 500 mph. Then started stopping and restarting. Eventually wouldn't restart. Moved to the next one, only 14 miles per hour rate on that one. Plug is beat up on that one. Take five, another one at 214 miles per hour max. Had to live with that, but charge time estimate was double. I guess there's a chance it could be an issue with my car, but odd that each one was different results if it is my car. And plugged in and re-plugged in at each one with the same results from each charger each time. Don't think it's the car.

ADD-ON TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE: 01/18/2020
Tried again tonight. Same thing, maybe worse. Plugged in, forgot to check the speed, just saw that it was charging. Went to Jack in the Box for 20 minutes and came back to see it had only added about 40 miles in range in that time. Was charging at less than 30 kw and under 100 MPH charge rate and the battery was near empty. Tried three other chargers and gave up. Had just enough to make it to Cabazon. Cabazon, no problem. 138 kw, 500+ miles per hour charge rate. In the same 20 minutes, had over 225 miles in range and was on my way.

I'm done with Indio. Forgot to note, the onboard ETA for charge time was over 2 1/2 hours to 80%, after the 20 minutes already charged.

I tried to contact Tesla last time and their message comes up with basically "don't bother reporting it, we already know if a charger is bad" If they know, why haven't they fixed it? Been quite some time and it's a busy charger. But, maybe it's only busy because people have to wait so long for their cars to charge, causing common stack ups.

NKYTA | 4 gennaio 2020

meh,

2015P90DI | 5 gennaio 2020

@NKYTA, gotta stop saying so much! Sorry to bother you apparently with my sharing that at least 5 of the 6 superchargers at this location don't work properly and trying to save people time with the hassle and extra long charge time I hadn't planned for. Tried to offers something productive, You response, well......

Darthamerica | 5 gennaio 2020

Redondo Beach is like this often. Also the last SC stall near the hedge bush in Hawthorne.

inconel | 5 gennaio 2020

Is it with the new Raven S that you can get to 500mph?

txakoli | 5 gennaio 2020

@2015P90DI

I think it would be beneficial if you post issues like this on the TMC forum. Specifically:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-indio.26868/

mcIary | 5 gennaio 2020

201590DI..

You’ve been served!

Idiot!!!

Flagged!

sentabo | 5 gennaio 2020

^^
LOL

2015P90DI, it's a badge of honor.

sbeggs | 5 gennaio 2020

@mclary!

Your services are needed over on many other threads, relating to Taycan.

Happy New Year!

2015P90DI | 18 gennaio 2020

ADD-ON TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE: 01/18/2020
Tried again tonight. Same thing, maybe worse. Plugged in, forgot to check the speed, just saw that it was charging. Went to Jack in the Box for 20 minutes and came back to see it had only added about 40 miles in range in that time. Was charging at less than 30 kw and under 100 MPH charge rate and the battery was near empty. Tried three other chargers and gave up. Had just enough to make it to Cabazon. Cabazon, no problem. 138 kw, 500+ miles per hour charge rate. In the same 20 minutes, had over 225 miles in range and was on my way.

I'm done with Indio. Forgot to note, the onboard ETA for charge time was over 2 1/2 hours to 80%, after the 20 minutes already charged.

I tried to contact Tesla last time and their message comes up with basically "don't bother reporting it, we already know if a charger is bad" If they know, why haven't they fixed it? Been quite some time and it's a busy charger. But, maybe it's only busy because people have to wait so long for their cars to charge, causing common stack ups.

tes-s | 19 gennaio 2020

Maybe they have a different expectation of "up to 120kW" than we do. Least they could do is mark it as limited service.

2015P90DI | 19 gennaio 2020

The in car nav shows Indio as 150kw. But, In 7 years of supercharging, I've come across some slow chargers before, but never anything remotely close to as bad as experienced at Indio. I've seen time estimates to full charge at close to 2 hours. Most of the time, it's 1 hour, maybe 1 hour 10 minutes. This one at 2 1/2 hours, after nearly a half hour already charged. If its working within Tesla's "acceptable tolerances", then that's pretty sad. You're better off with a 50kw Blink or Chargepoint charger. I hope it's something they can fix. It already is an inconvenience to charge compared with 5 minutes to fill a gas tank. Tesla has made it at least reasonable with the Supercharger Network cutting the charge time, but 2 1/2 to 3 hours to charge, if that were the case at all of them, would set back the EV movement. Fortunately it's not. But for those that use Indio as their necessary location, could be a turn off.

plusplusjames | 27 gennaio 2020

Some SCs suffer from superchargus interuptus. I am not persuaded that Tesla has been remediating this promptly.

NKYTA | 27 gennaio 2020

@plusplus, expound or level.