Forums

Surfer Owned Model X Question

Surfer Owned Model X Question

Hello, all, just got the Model X--with no "valet" key that can be taken in the water what are people doing? Don't want to do the magnetic box, someone's car was just stolen at County Line who was using one.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mrotr565 | 6 gennaio 2020

Just do valet mode or place a code/pin. And put a number/code you remember. Without that code, no one can start your car.

Mrotr565 | 6 gennaio 2020

Just do valet mode or place a code/pin. And put a number/code you remember. Without that code, no one can start your car.

TeslaTap.com | 6 gennaio 2020

I think you'll need to have a waterproof pouch you carry on you. @Ssaleh's suggestion with the PIN will prevent someone from driving away if they get the FOB, but the can still get into the car, and they can steal the FOB, which is $100 to replace.

geoffalexander737 | 7 gennaio 2020

Thanks, the PIN thing is great, but yes it would still mean leaving my wallet, clothing, possibly laptop, etc., in the car so they could be stolen, car could be vandalized, etc..

I may need to get something to carry the key or phone on me, Such a shame, my model 3 has the key card which I just stick in my wetsuit sleeve and works like a charm.

bformato | 8 gennaio 2020

One potential option is to leave your phone in the car and use an app on a Garmin watch or apple watch to unlock the door. I have not tried this yet. As a surfer as well I wear my Garmin Fenix 5+ in the water to track my surfs. I just downloaded a Tesla control widget from the Garmin store that has a lock and unlock function for the car if in range of the phone. I will have to try it and report back.