Forums

Red hand incident

Red hand incident

Was using autopilot on a long over pass that connects to a highway. (410 in San Antonio). It was stop and go traffic due to an accident that was miles up the road. When the over pass connected to the highway, I got the red hands so I quickly pulled my lever up to disengage autopilot and when I pressed the gas, I went in reverse and almost hit other car. So red hands automatically disengages autopilot. Lesson learned.

Ps. I went back today and did the same thing and I did not get the red hands so it probably got confused with all the traffic merging.

M3phan | 14 febbraio 2020

May have not been confused as much as accurately requesting intervention because of what it saw.

lbowroom | 14 febbraio 2020

Won’t shift into reverse unless you’re under 5mph

DiminishedSeventh | 14 febbraio 2020

@lbowroom OP was probably stopped as they said they were in heavy traffic and didn’t notice the vehicle was in R until they hit the accelerator again.

Is there a lower limit for the AP nag? It seems there is more time between nags the slower you go.

Shesmyne2 | 14 febbraio 2020

What the heck is red hands?

Still Grinning ;-)

rxlawdude | 14 febbraio 2020

@Shesmyne2, Red hands are what you get caught with.

rxlawdude | 14 febbraio 2020

@Shesmyne2, Red hands are what you get caught with.

nolasco1974 | 14 febbraio 2020

Red hands are scary because you also get a loud sound. Yea it was stop and go traffic probably going less than 5mph.

roger.klurfeld | 15 febbraio 2020

Red hands show up when the car wants you to take control immediately.

Big_Ed | 15 febbraio 2020

Light press (stop at detent) will not put you in R.

Also gotta have your foot on brake to shift into R. Which turns off AP.

DiminishedSeventh | 15 febbraio 2020

@Big_Ed you can shift to R from D or vice versa without your foot on the brake under 5 mph, I do it at least twice a day.

OP’s point was that he went to disengage AP with the stalk but it had already disengaged and so he inadvertently shifted into R. You’re right about the light press though, but sometimes it’s hard to judge how hard you’re pressing the stalk when you’re moving quick or under stress. Even under normal circumstances once in a while I’ll engage the full turn signal when I only mean to do the three blink lane change.