Forums

Sterilizing a Model 3

Sterilizing a Model 3

Both my wife and I presumably have Covid-19 and seem to be on the mend. Contrary to what many believe, the virus is NOT mild -- unless one considers a fever of 103, vomiting, etc "mild" We have had to use our Model 3 while sick so I was wondering if anyone has experience with cleaning materials that kill viruses for the interior of the Model 3?

Be safe, Be healthy, Practice social distancing!

Sparky | 23 marzo 2020

Glad to hear you're on the good side of the curve. A cleaning spray or solution with at least 65% alcohol content will kill it.

sheldon.mike1010 | 23 marzo 2020

My vet refuses to sterilize my M3...

TeslaTap.com | 23 marzo 2020

I'd expect just letting the car sit unused for a couple of days would also kill it off. From what I've read, it's not long-lived on non-human surfaces.

bjrosen | 23 marzo 2020

You can clean all of the surfaces with alcohol but the best solution is time.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200320192755.htm

The virus can only survive for a few days on surfaces. I've seen different numbers, but I'd keep other people out of your car for a couple of weeks.

howard | 23 marzo 2020

Very happy to hear you have come thru it. Alcohol seems hard to come by. I have been able to buy bathroom cleaner with Clorox bleach. Clean washcloth spray liberally and then I wipe surfaces down. Doing this at home, at the office and the car. Any potential damage is outweighed by protecting my family and others.

Magic 8 Ball | 23 marzo 2020

If you were not tested you don't know.

andy.connor.e | 23 marzo 2020

yep i'd let it sit for days, then go in and wipe it down.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

howard | March 23, 2020
Very happy to hear you have come thru it. Alcohol seems hard to come by. I have been able to buy bathroom cleaner with Clorox bleach.

Be VERY careful wiping bleach and other chemicals on anything and always test small areas for effects. You do NOT want to ruin your cars interior.

rxlawdude | 23 marzo 2020

@Joshan +10000

adoh2010 | 23 marzo 2020

Buy an ozone machine online. Turn it on for 1 hr and let the ozone sit overnight then air it out. Try not to breathe any of it

andy.connor.e | 23 marzo 2020

Some air filters have a sanitizer setting, which is just an ozone generator. Can plug an inverter into your cars 12V socket and run it for an hour or so as @adoh2010 suggested.

Wilber | 23 marzo 2020

I agree with TeslaTap and Andy. the sources i am reading say the virus dies after 72 hours on hard/plastic/vinyl surfaces. AND, if you can assume neither you or wife are still shedding COVID-19 you could just continue using the car every day. Just dont let anyone else inside until you are confident COVID-19 has died off. Of course, i realize that today you might get hands reinfected with COVID-19 just by gripping the steering wheel. this is where glove come in handy. You might use plastic gloves while in the car the next few days and just remove them when you get out so your hands stay ok. I have gotten used to carrying gloves in the car so i can use the gloves at public chargers.

FISHEV | 23 marzo 2020

"Both my wife and I presumably have Covid-19.."

Dude! Get tested. You need to know. If you act like you had it and it was something else and you weak from something else, dangerous. Plus trackers need to know in order to stop it. Report and get tested.

As for how long until you are save, how to clean etc. Stick to the CDC and other reliable sources. All the info you need is here. If you think you had follow the CDC rules on going back out in public.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

Bighorn | 23 marzo 2020

For people who don’t touch their face and do wash their hands, how are gloves helping anything? If there’s a shortage in hospitals, maybe don’t obsess.

Bighorn | 23 marzo 2020

Friend in New Orleans who is very sick could not get tested because her fever hadn’t hit the 104F threshold.

FISHEV | 23 marzo 2020

Now to inter nitpicking

It's disinfect. Sterilizing the car would require a really big autoclave and not sure the car would survive.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

Love people who say "get tested" also.... uhhh YOU CANT!! They won't test anyone, I know multiple people with all the symptoms including my son and they refuse to test him and say to just self quarantine.

Atoms | 23 marzo 2020

The safest approach is to wait about 5 days and the virus will not be viable. Do make sure the AC has been running on heat to fully dry out the AC unit. A nice wipe down with a Tesla recommended cleaning solution is good too if you have been sneezing. That will get the yucky spots off the display and windows. Plenty of good microfibers and products out there.

Can anyone explain why cruise ship passengers quarantined at Travis AFB are being allowed to refuse testing and then "released" into the general population?

Atoms | 23 marzo 2020

UV sterilization is not good for the plastics. E-beam and nuclear radiation sources are not good for the electronics. Time is best in this case.

FISHEV | 23 marzo 2020

Friend in New Orleans who is very sick could not get tested because her fever hadn’t hit the 104F threshold."

Lack testing was Trump's biggest blunder stemming from his denial of the problem. That Trump is trying to make the Trump Flu the Chinese Flu when we need all our medical supply logistics pipeline from China is part of the madness at the top. Korea can also help.

CDC hopes US test kits will START producing in WEEKS.

"Trump Resists Pressure to Use Wartime Law to Mobilize Industry in Virus Response"https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-supplie...

"U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/us-intelligence-reports...

@Joshan Why are you generalizing and spreading falsehoods?

https://abc7news.com/health/hayward-opening-free-covid-19-testing-center...

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

my personal experience with my son is a falsehood and the media is a better source? OK than...

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

you obviously have zero idea what you are talking about M8B, but not the first time and it wont be the last

I am speaking from real world experience right now, not a BS news story.

My son has a 104 temp and has every sympton of covid they refused to test him. His wife is 8 months pregnant. She made the mistake of admitting the situation to her doctor. The response?.... The told her she os no longer allow to come in for baby doc visits until he is tested but he CANT GET TESTED.

So now they have a 8 month old baby who cannot get care. But hey your link says all is good, so obviously I am lying.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

8 month old fetus I should say

RES IPSA | 23 marzo 2020

UV light kills it... Park the car in the sun for a day or two... then wipe it with isopropyl alcohol (70%).

Joshan GFY, you and yours is not the world. I am sorry your son is sick but lying to detract from what is ACTUALLY going on is you being an asshole.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

yes one area has drive thru testing the country is saved. ass...

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

my son and my grandson are my world you cold hearted fuck and you would feel the same way if you were such a dick.

Your hyperbole is BULLSHIT Joshan, you are in a panic. No one said free testing in Hayward is going to save the world. GFY.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

yes posting my real story is panic... you really need to get a grip.

Your participation in the YouTube thread and your snark about reading is hard (for you it appears) tells me you are unhinged (I have always known that about you but now you are spreading false information).

NorthValley | 23 marzo 2020

Right now to assume does not make an ass out of u an me. If you or a family member have the symptoms then ASSUME you have COVID-19 and act accordingly! If you become very ill then call emergency services! As 80% of cases (commonly used number right now) will not require hospitalization, then you don't need to overburden the network. It's all about flattening the curve. Confirming I have it or not, through a test wont a) make me feel better or b) mean, if negative, I can mix it up with other people. STAY AT HOME as long as possible! Help society not just yourself!

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

the unhinged lol,,, ok now you are entering FISHEV level of stupidity. Karma is a bitch....

Keep it up Joshan the EVIL LIAR.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

wow... i just gotta shake my head and walk away. I thought FISH was the cancer on this forum. Maybe I havew been wrong

tew ms us | 23 marzo 2020

@Bighorn "For people who don’t touch their face and do wash their hands, how are gloves helping anything?"

Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ayCIrnvBLw

As i told a postman who insisted he never touched his face between hand washings, if you see a big blue hand approaching your face, you'll know something ain't right.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

Glad you enjoy poking jobs at a 8 month baby being refused prenatal care, yes the stuff of jokes! Thats even worse than what you did to Tanya that got you suspended...

FISHEV | 23 marzo 2020

"So now they have a 8 month old baby who cannot get care. But hey your link says all is good, so obviously I am lying."

No. You are confusing CDC site on topic when you are safe after infectio and how to disinfect with local situation on testing.

Test kits have been the problem from day one and are still the main problem as you are finding out. Sorry for kids and the fear . It's scary. If you feel your MD is not responding, call state public health dept. Go on their website for contact info.

Every MD office, every hospital is going to be different depending on how few test kits they have and how they are triaging the usage.

We have sent screening teams to local clinics and are using them but asking people call first.//

Joshan | March 23, 2020
Love people who say "get tested" also.... uhhh YOU CANT!!

https://www.ktvu.com/news/hayward-opening-free-covid-19-testing-facility...

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

@fish yep agree with all of that, he is being told no as there is a shortage and he is only 22. That I am fine with and agree with. The real issue is the idiot baby doc telling his wife she can no longer have care based on him getting a test.

FISHEV | 23 marzo 2020

"Love people who say "get tested" also.... uhhh YOU CANT!!"

You know. Maybe it is time for you to STFU and listen to people who are there vs. a TV story.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

why you quoting me and talking to M8B or am I confused again?

People are actually in Hayward CA offering testing at the fire station.

Jumping to saying that I am saying is all is well or that there are plenty of tests (I never said anything of the sort) is a lie as it the original claim that I cannot get tested is a lie.

Liars flock together it seems.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

I forgot that California is the entire world, my bad.

I never said anything about the world, you are flailing in your attempt to say testing is not available to anyone.

Learn to read, your participation in the YouTube thread is embarrassing enough, keep digging.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

LOL, you really are delusional aren't you? get some help...

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 23 marzo 2020

He was quoting M8B quoting you, I believe.

Joshan | 23 marzo 2020

Gotcha, thanks MAB that actually does make sense when read like that.

Pages