Forums

What does the blue tint at the top of the screen mean

What does the blue tint at the top of the screen mean

I just turned on Navigate on Autopilot on my drive back on a very curvy road. Been a while since I last tried it. Have to say it's much better, handled this road very well. There are no straight lines on the road, it's nothing but curves but the car had no trouble following it. One thing that happened that confused me is that the top of the screen flashed blue for an instant, what does that mean?

Joshan | 8 aprile 2020

it means you need to put your hands on the wheel. It was not recognizing you.

bjrosen | 8 aprile 2020

Thanks.

My hands were on the wheel, are there any tricks for making sure that it knows I'm paying attention?

sheldon.mike1010 | 8 aprile 2020

Does that until you steer slightly left or right to let it know. And if you wait longer, it will scream at you.
Go a little longer after that, and it will cancel Nav until the next time you put it in Park.

Joshan | 8 aprile 2020

I rest my right hand towards the bottom and let all my arm weight sit on the wheel. Thats enough for my car to recognize me without taking it out of FSD. It is also pretty comfortable so I can leave it like that for a long time.

vmulla | 8 aprile 2020

Joshan | April 8, 2020
I rest my right hand towards the bottom and let all my arm weight sit on the wheel. Thats enough for my car to recognize me without taking it out of FSD. It is also pretty comfortable so I can leave it like that for a long time.
----
+1

bjrosen | 8 aprile 2020

Joshan@ Thanks, will give that a try

M3phan | 8 aprile 2020

Don’t rest 2 hands equally on the wheel though, they will cancel each other out.

Frank99 | 8 aprile 2020

The car wants to see a little torque on the wheel - too much torque and it'll cancel AP; too little and it'll complain by flashing the screen blue.
I put my left elbow on the armrest, and rest my hand on the left side of the wheel. That provides enough torque to make the car happy most of the time.

Daryl | 9 aprile 2020

I remember in the early days ("in the before times") people would occasionally complain that no matter how hard they squeezed the steering wheel the car didn't recognize that their hands were on the wheel.

That's when Tesla changed the warning from something like "apply pressure on the steering wheel" to something like "apply slight turning force on the wheel".

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 9 aprile 2020

I usually just toggle the volume up or down one position. That cancels the warning.

ty613toy | 9 aprile 2020

I use the volume up and down to get rid of the blue screen

ronjolley | 9 aprile 2020

Volume wheel - just one click up or down rocks. I do this even when listening to music.

vmulla | 9 aprile 2020

Turning the steering wheel or moving the volume wheel is just fine, that is basically reacting to the blue tint alert. If you get used to letting the weight of your hand do the trick then you're not going to see the blue tint alert in the first place.

I set my NOAP feedback to vibrate on the steering wheel, so letting my hand hang on the steering wheel is even more helpful to me. I'm avoiding blue alerts and getting NOAP notifications.

bddaughe | 9 aprile 2020

Volume works, but ever since doing what @joshan mentioned above, I never even get warnings. So it's no extra effort for me and the lack of warnings is awesome! It's very comfortable on a longer drive even. Just allows me to watch the road and enjoy the surroundings.

bddaughe | 9 aprile 2020

Haha @vmulla...we posted at the same time. Great minds think alike!

Seth2020 | 9 aprile 2020

I like to hook my thumb and forefinger of my right hand around the steering wheel ABOVE the "spoke". Then just let the weight of my arm rest there like everyone else. Guess I just have long arms. Also this gives me a good position to actually take control of the wheel if I need to.