Forums

More Model 3 pics

More Model 3 pics

EVino | 15 aprile 2016
sbeggs | 15 aprile 2016

@EVino,
Thanks! Model 3 doesn't look that much shorter!

EVino | 15 aprile 2016
Hi_Tech | 15 aprile 2016

Looks like it's not much shorter either. Might be slightly narrower, but can't tell.

Hi_Tech | 15 aprile 2016

*shorter = height and length.

sbeggs | 15 aprile 2016

@Hi Tech,
Good point. I mean to say Model 3's length does not look much less than Model S.

Height, about the same.

EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
EVino | 15 aprile 2016
Octagondd | 15 aprile 2016

Shots of the Silver look great

apeter1972 | 15 aprile 2016

I love the front !

yongliangzhu68 | 15 aprile 2016

Wish that little Tesla birdie would sneak us a few interior pics too. :)

Chunky Jr. | 15 aprile 2016

Were those taken at Mtn View supercharger?

EVino | 15 aprile 2016
Filipe Portugal | 15 aprile 2016

Great :)

yongliangzhu68 | 15 aprile 2016

@EVino: Sill would love to see some post event/daylight full on interior shots. Especially the silver with white to see details the best.

Red Sage ca us | 15 aprile 2016

Heh. Found it.

"'It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me out,' said Zaphod, whose love affair with the ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight. 'Every time you try and operate these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you’ve done it.'" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' by Douglas Adams

geekdad.604 | 15 aprile 2016

The Model 3 is smaller than the Model S, especially in the back seats but the pano glass helps with headroom. They stretched the cabin over the wheelbase to keep interior roominess.

Shopaholic | 15 aprile 2016

The more I look at the "nose", the better it looks!

ram1901 | 15 aprile 2016

What a gorgeous design. Hope Tesla is able to beat expectations this time and get the car on the street to buyers well before the end of 2017. Can't wait to buy one for my wife.

oneill.mike9 | 15 aprile 2016

Wish there were more pics of the inside. I have no idea why but I am a sucker for interior pics.

hcwhy | 16 aprile 2016

The nose needs refinement IMO. Reminds me of a Disney character. It needs to be simpler, rounder and more flowing.

hcwhy | 16 aprile 2016

The rest of the car is a home run.

jarrodskrehot | 16 aprile 2016

Well, that answers everyones question regarding Super Charger use, it's included, ha!!!!

Red Sage ca us | 16 aprile 2016

hcwhy: Think in terms of how stealth fighters are designed... Then take another look.

kristian.hesselberg | 16 aprile 2016

The only thing I'm not particularly pleased with is the rather bulky rear of the car. I'd easily sacrifice some head room for passengers in order to have the car even more streamlined.

yongliangzhu68 | 16 aprile 2016

@kristian.hesselberg: Hopefully a future coup will 'correct' this. However with M3 preorders going from impressive to sensational to ridiculous to unmanageable the coup looks to be a while (or 2 or 3 whiles:) ).

dachuyn | 16 aprile 2016

The front bumper looks suprisingly great! It can be difficult to make it to look better...

carlk | 16 aprile 2016

Another nice thing about these pictures is there are many real cars running around. Remember not too long ago some people even speculated that Elon would only have pictures to show?

And I agree with @dachuyn the front just look so good. Some say it looks like a Porsche or an Aston Martin or an Ferrari but I think the look is unique and the best that could be done on a car like this. Please Franz and Elon don't let the commitee to change this design for you.

cephellow | 16 aprile 2016

@wj, here is a 3D video taken at the reveal that allows you to indulge yourself at looking at the model 3 interior. Just pause and pan around (works pretty well on an iPhone)
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/b7s60cwlX-U

@cephellow, Thanks cool works well on my iPhone but is useless on my Mac. The guy making the video was sure distracting. Wonder when he held his phone up like he was talking the whole time? I would want to be full on sensory intake of all M3 details I could digest. Still can't tell as much as I would like (but give me the inch I asked for and now I want 2 more inches :) .

Also I thought the windshield extended to the B-pillar as one pano glass like the MX (looks like it exterior pics too). In the video it clearly shows a full across headliner about 6" to 10" wide.

wj: I believe that in TeslaSpeak 'SOON' means 18-to-24 months, maybe... and 'A WHILE' is about five years, give or take. A 'LONG TIME' is more like 15-to-20 years, more or less.

;-)

carlk: I agree. The car just plain looks GOOD. All my prior concerns have been fully alleviated. Though, given the latest iteration of the Model S...? I would not doubt that the 'mustache' that so many despise from the Model X will come to Model ☰ as well. I believe I would like it either way. Beautiful.

wj: The glass does go all the way to the B-Pillar. There are only two pieces of glass on the roof. The forward one, and the rear one. Both are fixed.

I believe the support at the 'A-Pillar' position is for crash/rollover protection. The singular support in the center of the rooftop would not have been enough to achieve their crash safety goals, I guess. It's sort of a reverse of the Model X, because there are multiple cross-member supports behind the driver's seat. Here, the cross-members are forward of the rear seats.

But since both supports are there, I guess that is why they are going to offer an opening panoramic sunroof/moonroof for the front seat passengers. As much as I like those, I will open a window when I need fresh air. Just having the two huge panes of glass will satisfy my need to see the sky.

It would be nice if when you post a picture, let us know where and when the picture was posted. I would love to hunt one of these prototypes down, with tape measure in hand.

@Red Sage ca us: Got it and thought that might be the case. However it does seem a little odd to use 1 pano that cost more, when Tesla could have used 2 smaller panes that would have worked and looked the same on the inside. Of course everyone LOVES large glass and add Musk's obsession to the mix and.........bet Jobs would have approved it too.

Wj,
I'm don't think 1 pane costs more than 2; it probably costs less when you add up labor, fit tolerance and component count, and that is why they did it. Glass is cheap, handling it is expensive.

Haggy | 16 aprile 2016

The top pictures look like the chargers at Fremont, but that doesn't mean going there would do much good. They weren't there this morning.

wj: I like the 'big glass' look too (the aerodynamic efficiency benefits are nice as well). That's why I so often post photos of the Pontiac Banshee and TransSport concept cars from the late 1980s. Those were the first concepts I saw with the feature that actually looked like 'real cars'. So, I was rather surprised that the Banshee was never built -- beyond some plastic accessories or the Firebird... And the TransSport was subjected to corporate sterilization by committee by the time it came to market.

Tesla-David | 16 aprile 2016

Thanks for posting. The Model ≡ is one great looking car. Love the silver! Can't wait until they start deliveies.

@Red Sage ca us: I thought at the time a still wish GM would have keep Pontiac over Buick. Buick's high popularity in China seems to have been the big swig in it's favor.

Chunky Jr. | 16 aprile 2016

It seems like the Model 3 is much further along 18 months from production target date than the Model X was.

EVino | 16 aprile 2016

So what's up with the driver's side mirror on the dark grey M3 in the 3rd picture in this post- (the witness protection photo)? Is it reflections, or is the area masked out?
(speculation-its where they may put a rear view camera/display module).

cephellow: Look more closely. It is indeed a reflection of a white wall, that just looks slightly gray in the tinted windows. Looks like it is a shaded outer corner wall, so that's why the room brightens up in the reflection beyond that point, around the corner.

Pages