Forums

West Coast Deliveries

West Coast Deliveries

Which states will be included in the first deliveries. Would Arizona be included?

Tropopause | 24 aprile 2016

Only if Arizona embraces Daylight Savings. ;)

Bighorn | 24 aprile 2016

It's probably based on distance from Fremont, not state borders.

SCCRENDO | 24 aprile 2016

If they help Trump build his wall, then no.

jordanrichard | 25 aprile 2016

Well, I am going to imagine that a majority of them will be delivered to those in CA. I am sure many of them will be to employees who obviously live in the area of the factory.

Haggy | 25 aprile 2016

I'm going to imagine that I get mine first. Maybe after the employees.

Sweetride | 25 aprile 2016

Wonder if employees will need to order fully optioned M3s to get early delivery

israndy | 25 aprile 2016

I wonder if those of us near SF will get delivery the same time as those in San Jose. Will the extra 20 miles make a difference vs time of placing order? Also curious as I was in the first wave who put down my money right at 10 am, how many others were done by 10:02 and will those of us in the very first round have an advantage over those who were 6 minutes later, or 30 minutes, or a few hours that it seemed to take getting thru the initial line. And will those who waited in line be better served than those who just walked in after lunch that day vs those who signed up at 7 pm? I have to imagine those who didn't sign up before the launch will not be getting it the whole first year.

But really why am I still obsessing a month on, over something that I have no control over and is a year and a half out?

AlMc | 25 aprile 2016

If I set up a PO Box 'address' in Fremont I wonder if that will help this east coaster move up in line? :)

Badbot | 25 aprile 2016

those in SF can pick them up during their lunch break saving delivery charges

Haggy | 26 aprile 2016

Destination charges will be the same regardless of where you live in the US, per federal law.

TeslaTap.com | 26 aprile 2016

To add to Haggy's comment - even if you pick the car up at the Factory, which I did, there is no shipping at all. Tesla is still are required to slap on that $1000 destination charge.

Here's a good article on destination charges: http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/why-do-we-still-have-the-ridiculous-destinat...

Red Sage ca us | 28 aprile 2016

TeslaTap: Uhm... A pretty good article... But it didn’t get down to the bottom line. Automobile manufacturers and ‘independent franchised dealerships’ are required by Federal law to list the Destination Charges/Delivery Fee separately for the sake of transparency. Because certain unscrupulous businesses at some point used variable Destination Charges to make up the difference between a negotiated price point and what they actually wanted to sell the car for... So now, all other such up-charges are listed separately as well, typically as ‘Documentation Fees’ or ‘Dealer Prep’ or ‘Shop Supplies’ or whatever the marketing department comes up with that week to cover ‘What the Market Can Bear’. But the Destination Fee must be stated up front, and the same for every single car of a particular Make and Model, regardless of where it is Delivered in the US.

dd.micsol | 28 aprile 2016

Question: If the car and deliver itself-AP to buyers home there shouldn't be a delivery charge.
No person or persons is involved in the transport of the car.
There has been major robotic improvements of the auto charging system.
You park and without need to get out of the car the robot will insert the charger to the car to charge it.
Now they are working on how to undo that process so the car can continue to it's destination.
We call it Autodelivery with tracking or AWT. Just something that's being worked on.
After thinking things over and over-It's possible that destination charge will be waived by Elon himself for those that stood in line at the stores on the 31st. That would be a nice gift.

dd.micsol | 28 aprile 2016

Error: If the car 'can' and not 'and' -wish I could edit it.

TeslaTap.com | 28 aprile 2016

@Red - I agree it is good to have clarity for a fee from all the other crap dealers tack on, but I don't see why it should be forced to the the same everywhere. If it was the actual cost to deliver it to some region or location, that would be fair.

As far as I can tell, the destination fee is required no matter how it's delivered. It's annoying that you can pick your car up at the factory today and still get hit with $1000 delivery charge. I don't blame Tesla as I suspect this scam was created many years ago by the intrenched car makers under pressure from regulators. Again the consumer gets screwed in the end.

@dd.micsol - Cool idea - Seeing thousands of cars driving out of the factory each week driverless going to their new owners would be amazing! Maybe by 2020 it will happen!

Haggy | 28 aprile 2016

The argument that the charge should be itemized because it's an actual expense that the auto manufacturer has to pay is a weak one. Even if you accept the argument that we need cars to be as affordable in Hawaii as they are in Detroit, (and ironically, California would have been a big beneficiary at the time but it's the opposite now) which would make it appear as if the average price of transportation is legitimately something that manufacturers have to pay and pass on to consumers, it's ultimately a business expense. They also have to pay sheet metal workers, but you don't have the government making that a line item on the grounds that it's something the manufacturer has to pay and thus pass onto the consumer with no room for negotiation.

The problem is that if the law were changed, and people could save money picking up the car in Fremont, then Tesla would have to raise prices elsewhere to recover actual delivery charges. Right now, people who pick up the car in Fremont are subsidizing the shipping expense for those who live far from Fremont. Since half of US deliveries are in California, that means the actual shipping cost to many places could easily be more than double what Tesla currently charges.

TeslaTap: It's sort of like how tipping is handled for gratuities in the hospitality industry. There are those who don't tip at all, no matter what. There are those who tip very generously no matter what. There are those that tip 20% automatically. And those who only tip between 10% and 15% if they are satisfied with service.

Well, there are some businesses that have instituted a 'no tipping' policy. They feel it is on the one hand rather unwieldy that service personnel effectively have to cater to 10,000 different 'bosses'... And on the other hand, their employees should be able to have a living wage without jumping through hoops unnecessarily -- while still being loyal to their actual boss.

The presumption is that a manufacturer has some idea of how many of a vehicle they intend to produce, and where they will be sent, and how much that will cost them on average. That average amount, or something close to it, is chosen as the flat rate as a Destination Charge. Once again, the reason it is listed separately is so that it is a specific amount that is called out separately -- it would be the same amount even if it were included in MSRP, there's no way around the fact there is a cost that must be accounted for -- but listing it separately as a specific amount prevents 'independent franchised dealerships' in particular from using variable amounts that fit their whims. If it makes you feel better, you can simply consider it part of the MSRP -- that is just called out separately. Should the time come where 99.999% of cars for the US market are Delivered at the factory, perhaps Tesla Motors could lobby government regulators for a change. I doubt that is a likely occurrence, though.

Haggy wrote, "The problem is that if the law were changed, and people could save money picking up the car in Fremont, then Tesla would have to raise prices elsewhere to recover actual delivery charges."

Correct. And, for those poor souls still buying from 'independent franchised dealerships', no matter the actual cost to the manufacturer on average or cumulatively, consumers would end up paying many multiples more to the stealerships.

"Honey, you know we had to fly this one in special straight from Stuttgart... But I like you, so I'm gonna knock $500 off the Destination Charge... That makes it only $4,000... How do ya like that?" -- Three Finger Monty of Billy Bob Bleuhardt's Big Blue World of Cars

mntlvr23 | 28 aprile 2016

That is going to be one of the weirdest things for me. I love the negotiation for cars - and I actually don't negotiate. I come in with a price, and it has been traditionally several percent below dealer invoice. And they hem and they haw and say it cant be done, but eventually, I always get my price. (I actually negotiate cars for friends as well) It will be very unsettling that I will pay full price for the first time in my life - But in this case I will be very happy to do it.

mntlvr23: It helps considerably to know that 'full price' for a Tesla Motors product is both a bargain compared to other vehicles in class, as well as being gazillions less than you'd have to pay at an 'independent franchised dealership' that added 'Dealer Prep' and other charges to 'What the Market Can Bear'.

agreed.
"Dealer prep" reminds me of my last new car. It was a 2001 Vovlo S60. It was end of year, and I wanted a manual, of which they had several left. I came in with a really lowball offer and stuck to it. After an hour or two, wehre I worked my way to the top without budging, the manager belly-ached about how much time it took them to prep the car. I told them I wasn't interested and I would take the car as is. They ended up matching my original price and left the plastic on the car and left me with fumes. It was a great day.

@red sage - being new here, and after reading your posts, I assume that you are retired - but am very curious about your line of previous work - as you remind me of a number of people. If it is not too much to ask.

Badbot | 28 aprile 2016

delivery in California 400 miles away.
of the 60 k ordered in Cal. I think I am about 45k deep.
overall somewhere about 280,000 to 290,000 4/3/16 10:36 Pm

Anyone think I have a chance at 2018?

tommyalexandersb | 28 aprile 2016

@ed I hope so!

I also live about 400 miles away. I ordered around 11PM on April 1st. I'm planning on getting mine fully loaded which should help.

I'm hoping/thinking they will ramp up production enough that, I and hopefully you will get it in 2018, but who knows.

(This is all just guessing/wishful thinking)

Where did you get the 60k figure for CA reservations?

mntlvr23: Not only am I not 'retired', many people would be hard pressed to guess I ~*might*~ be in my early thirties because I have a 'youthful appearance' and seem 'wise for my age' and stuff.

I used to say that I was older than I look, but younger than I seem. But that isn't the case anymore. I'll turn 49 in July, I have First Cousins who are already Great Grandparents and younger relatives who are already Grandparents. I remember what I looked like in my late twenties and early thirties, and I don't look like that anymore.

Strange thing is...? From the time I was 14 until I was 21, people always thought I was OLDER. I never got carded for anything, anywhere, for any reason until I was OVER 21. So it seems that at some point I started to age backward, at least in the eyes of everyone else in the world.

Anyway, I went to school for Engineering, ended up working in Architecture, but have held lots of other positions as well. Whenever I go to a public event, people always assume that I am 'In the Band'. One of these days, I'll be smart enough to say, "Yes. Yes, I am." I have been drawing all my life and have a natural affinity for computers, so computer aided drafting and computer graphics were easy for me. I also enjoy singing and attempting to play music. I probably should have picked up a guitar 20 years sooner -- but I can make sounds come out of one that are not entirely unpleasant. I'm a bit better with piano/keyboards. Oh, and I love to write about technology and other subjects I am passionate about.

mntlvr23 | 29 aprile 2016

@red sage - lol, that explains it. As a structural engineer, architects are simultaneously my bread and butter and my bane. I guessed retired - since the longer and more thought out post suggested a lot of free time (and I had thought that you might have written that at some point - but I probably confused you with a few others). Buildings? what type?

Red Sage ca us | 30 aprile 2016

mntlvr23: The fun thing about architecture, is that no matter how much 'free reign' a client gives you with design, in the end, after all the revisions they request, it always ends up looking like a box. People really don't have much imagination at all. I worked on buildings for hospitals, schools, and data centers, along with space planning for a chain of weight loss centers. The seismic retrofits for buildings at UCLA and USC were interesting, as were the lengthy Facility Development Plans for various Veterans Administration Campuses.

melinda.v | 30 aprile 2016

@RedSage
VE seems to count for more than imagination with most clients

mntlvr23 | 30 aprile 2016

@red sage - yep, true for all but the most high profile, well funded clients. Some of my coolest buildings have not been built (either died a pricey death or are about to be VE'd to hell)

mntlvr23 | 30 aprile 2016

@red sage - yep, true for all but the most high profile, well funded clients. Some of my coolest buildings have not been built (either died a pricey death or are about to be VE'd to hell)