Forums

Warning about Model X in extreme heat.

Warning about Model X in extreme heat.

Just a little FYI that I experienced this past weekend while staying out in Palm Springs. Temperature hit 116 F. During the middle of the day, I decided to show off the MDX to a few friends and decided to give them a little test ride. I loaded up 6 passengers and proceeded to find a long, straight stretch of road to ludicrously launch them (I'm patenting that phrase by the way...lol). Anyways, for those who don't know, in order to activate launch mode, you have to turn on max battery power. This results in the battery heating up to optimum temperature to give the ideal power discharge to the motors. Well, problem is that when it is 116F outside and you activate max battery, the car actually has to COOL the batteries to get optimum power. This in turn cuts off your ability to use the air conditioning. There actually is a warning message that pops up on the console to let you know that the air conditioning function had been reduced while the batteries are cooled. So while I was able to launch them to 60 mph in 3 secs, we were all sweating balls off. So...just a word of advice, be aware that in extreme temperatures, activating max battery power will result in losing your ability to keep the interior cool. Safe ludicrous launching peeps!

feniks05 | 15 agosto 2016

I attempted another demo this past weekend, again in very hot weather. however, I did not have the air conditioning problem as I did before. The only difference was that it was not quite as hot outside (it was maybe 105F). So....got me thinking as to exactly what the cutoff/threshold temperature would be that would require the batteries to actually have to be cooled rather than heated when using max battery power. I did some quick searching and could not find anything about this. does anyone know roughly what the optimum temperature of the batteries is to achieve "max battery"? would be nice to know this....especially if planning on using the max battery feature in this hot Southern California weather. any knowledgeable info would be appreciated.

carlk | 15 agosto 2016

MDX is made by Honda.

finman100 | 16 agosto 2016

Under the Acura nameplate.

aesculus | 17 agosto 2016

I have a Mazda B3000 pickup truck. Once you open the hood all you see is Ford labels. :-)

carlk | 17 agosto 2016

A coworker wanted a Tesla for years but could not get his wife's OK to buy a model X. They recently bought an MDX and we joked he spent half the money and got half a MoDle X.

andrewket | 18 agosto 2016

You could leave the A/C on and just stop on the accelerator. The difference between that and using launch control is probably .1/sec 0-60.

andrewket | 18 agosto 2016

You could leave the A/C on and just stomp on the accelerator. The difference between that and using launch control is probably .1/sec 0-60.