Forums

quiet Tesla

quiet Tesla

Hello

Would be a great feature: add "engine" "noise" if someone walking front of the car(outside noise maker)

jordanrichard | 21 ottobre 2016

No.

If I am behind a person walking and they don't realize I am there, I honk the horn. People get hit in parking lots even by ICE cars, because they are zoned out looking at their phones.

This subject ahs been brought up before and how EVs should have noise makers to alert people that you are there. Here is the problem with that idea/logic. Remember back when car alarms were anew thing and when one went off, it got everyone attention...., not anymore. So if you have a bunch of EVs going "beep, beep, beep" while trolling through the parking lot, it won't stand out and you are back to people getting hit because their dumb asses can't pay attention when walking through a parking lot. Darwin, party of 2.......

dsvick | 21 ottobre 2016

No.

When a car is moving that slow it is usually tire noise that people hear first anyway.

dd.micsol | 21 ottobre 2016

my speakers will scare everyone first. Turn up the bass.

dd.micsol | 21 ottobre 2016

Even if they're deaf they will feel my bass which is really useful I might add as ASD in CT.
I get a lot of deaf people dancing around my car.

TeslaTap.com | 21 ottobre 2016

Unneeded and undesired. With AP2 it will detect people and stop the car. Far better than relying on a pedestrian playing Pokemon Go with headphones and oblivious to cars arround them (with noise or not).

EaglesPDX | 21 ottobre 2016

Prius used to do just that when car was in EV mode. Not sure it was that effective. Better to have auto braking that is sensitive enough for people.

jamilworm | 21 ottobre 2016

@TeslaTap and Eagles, I don't think the point of the OP was to avoid hitting the pedestrian. I think it was to alert them so they'd get out of your way and you could keep driving. But as jordanrichard points out a quick horn tap would probably do the trick.

EaglesPDX | 21 ottobre 2016

@jamilworm " I think it was to alert them so they'd get out of your way and you could keep driving."

Beep, beep.

melinda.v | 21 ottobre 2016

I realize laws and driver attitudes are different everywhere (quickly realized that attempting to walk across an intersection WITH a walk signal in Atlantic City), but living in a state and working in another, both with strict yield to pedestrian laws, it is expected the driver will not hit people. It's not the responsibility of the pedestrians to not be hit by the 3000lb+ vehicle. Maybe that's not the case in other places, but you all may want to give it a try ;)

Linemanap | 21 ottobre 2016

It should sound like a horse trotting. Like in the holy grail

jamilworm | 21 ottobre 2016

@melinda I see the problem mostly being in parking lots where people like to walk in the middle of the aisle for some reason and block cars from driving through.

cars | 22 ottobre 2016

My current car (Renault ZOE) has simulated engine noise below 20mph. So does the Nissan Leaf. Funny thing though, it only comes on when accelerating. So if you're cruising along sometimes people don't hear you and it scares them half to death to suddenly see a car in front of them. ;)

Mike83 | 22 ottobre 2016

Deaf people won't hear it and many baby boomers who have limited hearing from attending Rock concerts.
This old idea is useless.

bj | 22 ottobre 2016

@cars - in the interest of facts, the Leaf does not have "simulated engine noise" below 20mph. The "vehicle sound for pedestrians" or VSP as it is called, is a kind of high pitched whine which comes on between 0 and 30 km/h when speeding up and between 25 km/h and 0 when slowing down. If you cruise at any speed below 25 km/h it stays on. When you come to a stop, the sound stays on for a couple of seconds before fading out.

The sound it not very loud and I think pretty ineffective in any event. In most situations tyre noise is louder. I'd prefer a button on the steering wheel which could alert pedestrians with a fast "beep beep beep" sound like on the electric carts they use in airports. I think the horn is too loud and abrupt for that purpose.

cars | 22 ottobre 2016

Ah right, thanks for the correction. I just assumed it would be the same as the ZOE. I was aware it had a simulated engine noise but didn't know the conditions under which it would be active.

jamilworm | 22 ottobre 2016

@bj your suggestion is good. I also remember a while ago when Elon had tweeted about "adding more cowbell" to the Model S someone had speculated that it would be a cowbell sound to alert pedestrians. That would be pretty good too.

jordanrichard | 22 ottobre 2016

That would be too funny if they created a "pedestrian" horn/sound and it was that of a the cow bell from Don't Fear the Reaper.

Red Sage ca us | 22 ottobre 2016

Such a device would win an award for 'Most Defeated Worthless POS of the Year' easily.

gregcropper | 23 ottobre 2016

Our US government is well known for wasting taxpayer money on useless nonsense like this. Actually it kind of reminds me of congress: unnecessary noise that suits no useful purpose except to annoy people and waste money. I hope it never happens.

jamilworm | 23 ottobre 2016

I'm confused how this turned political. I agree with the previous opinion that a full on car horn honk is a bit aggressive for just asking an unaware pedestrian to move out of your way. So to me it is obviously useful, especially when it has been pointed out that other cars have similar features. Did those other cars win "POS of the year" awards?". Or does it only become a POS if the fake engine noise is replaced by a cowbell sound, like somehow that diminishes the usefulness?

Red Sage ca us | 23 ottobre 2016

I can roll down the windows and play DEF LEPPARD.

ccsccs7 | 23 ottobre 2016

I think the point of the fake engine noise is to assist blind persons in recognizing that a potentially moving car is nearby and to not walk in front of or into it.

This accessibility issue has me conflicted about it's presence. If we're going to mandate it, I'd want it to be a cool sound, not the sound of an ICE.

andy.connor.e | 23 ottobre 2016

If you really put it into perspective, you dont even really hear the engine outside of the car. The most amount of noise is coming from the tires on the road.

bj | 23 ottobre 2016

@jamilworm - thanks for that, obviously I agree. In some markets, these kinds of pedestrian warning sounds are mandatory for EVs so declaring the idea a "POS" would mean Tesla could not sell into those markets.

Situations where I feel I need to alert pedestrians to my EV presence do not arise often, but on those occasions where it does happens, a cow-bell or some other non-threatening sound that I could trigger at the tap of a button would be totally cool.

I might not want to wind my window down (it might be raining), calling out to the person could be considered rude &/or aggressive, and simply tapping my steering wheel showing the patience of Job waiting for them to move loses its Zen after a while.

All IMHO.

Red Sage ca us | 23 ottobre 2016

OK, Black Sabbath, then.

jordanrichard | 24 ottobre 2016

Mandating a pedestrian warning sound is just another example of "fell good" legislation. Something horrific happens and a local law maker to make themselves seem as if they are doing something about it, creates/pass a law that on the surface seems like it will prevent that accident/problem from happening again.

Where is the outcry and regulatory solution to those that were getting hit in parking lots BEFORE there were EVs/hybrids.....?

Haggy | 24 ottobre 2016

With the Model S at low speeds, pedestrians won't hear tire noise, but I'd have plenty of time to stop. The problem is that the horn is so loud that honking it to let somebody know I'm passing would come across as rude and possibly as arrogant or even angry.

I've seen pedestrians get startled when they are facing their car and turn around and see a car passing by. I assume they would have jumped as high had I honked.

I think a good solution would be a softer horn for a quick tap and release, and a louder one when the horn is held.

bj | 24 ottobre 2016

@jordanrichard - so are you saying that there has never been a situation, ever, where you wanted to gently alert a pedestrian to your presence? I've been driving an EV for 2 years and as I said, while such situations are not common when they do arise I find the horn too aggressive a solution and would like a gentler warning sound which can be optionally triggered by the driver.

This has nothing to do with "fell good" legislation, whatever that is.

bj | 24 ottobre 2016

Sorry that came out in all bold, wasn't meant to...

bj | 24 ottobre 2016

... although it demonstrates my point, that was the forum equivalent of honking the horn and it looks rude, loud and aggressive. Not bold is the gentle cow-bell or whatever! :)

Red Sage ca us | 24 ottobre 2016

DEF [MICKEY FICKEY] LEPPARD.

KP in NPT | 24 ottobre 2016

I live in a town with lots of pedestrians who regularly walk out in front of traffic jaywalking (damn tourists!) and I learned quickly with the Tesla to be extra careful when driving because they couldn't hear me. But I don't want any outside noise to alert them - one of my favorite things about driving an EV is that it's quiet. Plus I think it would be annoying for everyone, not just me. Imagine the day when EVs are the majority of cars...nice, quiet streets. Not annoying engine OR "pedestrian alert" noises.

I'll just be extra aware.

bj | 24 ottobre 2016

@mp1156 - my suggestion is that the pedestrian alert sound is triggered at the discretion of the driver, not that it is on all the time at slow speeds. Big difference. If you never want to alert pedestrians with a noise that is not the horn, your choice. But there have been times when I have needed to alert pedestrians and didn't have the right tool at my disposal to do so.

Cowbell | 24 ottobre 2016

I like the artificial noisemaker on the 2016 Volt. It sounds like a UFO. You can't hear it from inside the car.

jamilworm | 24 ottobre 2016

Also I don't think the issue is unique to EVs. I have never owned one, but even in my ICE sometimes people are walking down a parking lot aisle right in the middle and I find myself just cruising behind them for a minute until they finally turn their head around and look startled. It's those times I wish I had a non-aggressive alert. And as bj mentioned it's not something that I would want all of the time at slow speeds, just some button I could tap to trigger it.

melinda.v | 24 ottobre 2016

Both my Ford and GM car's horns will honk softly if not fully pressed down. I guess I assumed most all would do that.

dsvick | 25 ottobre 2016

@bj - "Not bold is the gentle cow-bell.."

A cowbell sound for when you're near pedestrians would be awesome - I wonder if they would get the innuendo.

Red Sage ca us | 25 ottobre 2016

DEF LEPPARD comes with MORE COWBELL!!!

b8schris | 25 ottobre 2016

I think a pedestrian horn or some sort of sound.. on demand would be great.. as others have suggested.. I do a lot of bike riding and I have a bell on that .. so I don't creep up behind someone and scare the crap out of the... although it all depends on when you ding that bell.

b8schris | 25 ottobre 2016

or maybe have some music.. like an ice cream truck ... lol

Ice cream truck? "Ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding-ding..."

That could work!

Except for people wearing headphones and staring at their mobile phone or tablets...

Badbot | 25 ottobre 2016

There is a how to out on the web about modifying a bike bell and installing it on an S

dsvick | 25 ottobre 2016

@Red Sage - "Except for people wearing headphones and staring at their mobile phone or tablets"

And all the kids running right at you waving money in the air

"...Ding, ding-ding, ding-ding, ding-ding-DING!"

Gimme yer money kids!

Nexxus | 26 ottobre 2016

No Red, then that last one would be a ker-CHING!

jordanrichard | 26 ottobre 2016

bj, no I am not saying that. I am commenting about the fact that to mandate it be on all EVs is not the solution that lawmakers make it out to be.

"Feel good legislation" is just that. It makes people who just experienced a tragic event in their town/state, etc, feel better, even though in the big picture that law/regulation isn't solving anything or addressing the route problem.

Yes, there have been situations when I would liked to have softer/quieter horn, but as you said, at the driver's discretion.