Forums

Possible secretary of education???surgeon general???

Possible secretary of education???surgeon general???

brando | 14 novembre 2016

Seems the Bankers pick most of the cabinet.
https://prof77.wordpress DOT com/politics/an-updated-list-of-goldman-sachs-ties-to-the-obama-government-including-elena-kagan/

Perhaps Trump might pick a few on his own?
http://www.politico DOT com/story/2016/11/who-is-in-president-trump-cabinet-231071

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

Could someone possibly tell me the profession on of Hillary's son in law, and the business he was/is working and the background and profession of Hillary's father in law ?

LOL

ROFL

lilbean | 14 novembre 2016

Profession? Crook just like his MIL! Lol!

Chelsea's father-in-law was a convicted felon. No wonder Bilkary was a proud Mama. She probably thinks her daughter married well.

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

In 2001, he was convicted of 31 charges of felony fraud, and served five years in federal prison.[4]

In 2010, he became father-in-law to Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of Hillary and Bill Clinton.

SCCRENDO | 14 novembre 2016

Breaking news. Hillary lost the election. This thread is about Dr Ben Carson who is being considered for Secretary of Education or Surgeon General and doesn't believe in evolution. If he sets the education agenda we will all end up thinking like Van Perley.

For the record Ivanka's father in law also served jail time and was prosecuted by Chris Christie
"In August 2004, he pleaded guilty to 18 felony counts of tax fraud, election violations, and witness tampering. He was sentenced to two years in federal prison in Montgomery. His eldest son, Jared Kushner, flew down to Alabama every Sunday."

RedShift | 14 novembre 2016

@sccrendo

Hate to break it to you, but all the crookedness lies only on one side. The side that lost. Donald Trump is a blemishless businessman, god, messiah....
He will make everything great again. We will all be sick of greatness by the time he leaves us to... Ivanka, who will be equally great.
That's the dynasty politicians we want.
Please, get with the program!

@Redshift +1

Now back to the original post. An evolution denier as secretary of education?? Perhaps we should become Republicans on this one. Rather than Ben Carson dictating education policy, get rid of the department of education and allow the states to decide. At least our kids will be able to get a decent education in California

Because common core has been so good for the children?

@LIlbean. Not an educator so I am not an expert on common core but I hear mixed reviews. But what I do know is that you do not put someone in charge of education who denies evolution. This is not about political opinion. It is fact vs fiction.

@sccrendo, I'm not an professional educator either. I do have small children and I do homework with them. Half the time, I'm like WTF?

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

The next election you win, put your people in charge.

Easy peasey

@vperl. Great insights. But we still live in this country and are entitled to worry how the president elect will impact our futures. He was elected president not emperor.

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

, gee whiz, glad you pointed that out.

Great insight.

Where did you learn that last year or so?

Your self-righteous knowledge is silly.

But, that is fine.

We allowed your entry, you seem to try to school others, you fail.

But, that is Democracy.

For some reason you dislike the U.S. you may join the Hollywood elite in their claimed exit to where ever.

I await action on their public statements to leave the U.S. to be fulfilled .

They talk big, deliver nothing.

And so it goes....

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

, gee whiz, glad you pointed that out.

Great insight.

Where did you learn that last year or so?

Your self-righteous knowledge is silly.

But, that is fine.

We allowed your entry, you seem to try to school others, you fail.

But, that is Democracy.

For some reason you dislike the U.S. you may join the Hollywood elite in their claimed exit to where ever.

I await action on their public statements to leave the U.S. to be fulfilled .

They talk big, deliver nothing.

And so it goes....

We should protest to have those celebrities leave. Lol!

Van Perley I succeed in schooling many. Some I fail with including you. Perhaps you are unschoolable? But please tell me why do wander off point?

The OP is about whether Ben Carson would be an appropriate education secretary??

vperl | 14 novembre 2016

Why are you so anti American, iran, your home is calling you.

bgbythsea | 14 novembre 2016

SCCRENDO: If it is any consolation, I survived Parochial school where all the creation theorist brainwashing attempts didn't work. Evolution won't disappear from academia......Wait a minute, what the hell does Dr. Carson know about educating? He could probably do more harm as Surgeon General by ignoring the concept that gun injuries and deaths are a serious public health issue.

Frank99 | 14 novembre 2016

lilbean -
That's when I decided to move my kids out of public school and into a charter. When I (an engineer) can't help them with their third grade math there's something seriously wrong.

Silver2K | 14 novembre 2016

I can't believe some of you are attacking @SCC because he's passionate about his country.

pathetic

@Frank99, You are so right. Third grade math is ridiculous. Poor kid is is in tears doing his homework. I have to google to figure it out.

Common core is rough. I know many teachers that are having issues with it

RedShift | 14 novembre 2016

@silver

He has been the target ever since he revealed he is from another country. Some people are after him for that, some others, becuase he defended bb0tin/johndoeeyed a while back. Lots of axes to grind against him eh?

Also, I notice how some of these overtly racist posters are not getting flagged, but just turned a blind eye to.

I wasn't a fan of his defense of BB, but attacking someone is crazy. I was born in Baghdad, Iraq and I attacked on my facebook page by a friend that I helped clean out all his computers of viruses for free. I also lined his pockets with referral money where he worked by sending people I know to work for them and he made $500 per person.

He wrote "You and your cohorts can't burn the American flag anymore". I laughed it off because I know he's low life trash, but I did text him and reminded him not to forget his shopping list for the meeting tonight.

1. wooden cross
2. matches
3. gallon of gasoline

:)

I was attacked

@silverm Wow. That's sad. Sorry to hear that.
I had to take care of a hospital patient for over a week who had a confederate flag tattooed on his chest.

Thanks Silver and Redshift. You have to take things from whence they come. Having grown up in South Africa, I saw the dark side of apartheid. In addition being Jewish where many of my family members where murdered based on their heritage I am very conscious of discrimination of any kind. It is criminal to remain silent where you see it. I am sure Silver who is Iraqui can understand my position.
My critics here are ignorant narrow minded angry people. Many are intimidated because they are encountering a foreigner who is not afraid to stand up for his rights. I would like to ignore many of them but they are pretty incessant and troll sites consistently trying to inhibit free debate. It is impossible to engage them intelligently because they are not very smart and are ideological. I am not really any more bothered by them than I would be if I had a fly that was buzzing around my head. In general the best strategy is just to ignore them but as with the fly you need to swat at them occasionally. My one weakness is that I can never resist mocking them when they say something really dumb.
Silver no apologies for defending John Doe. He is not a friend of mine and i have never approved of his style. However he is smart and is a great contributor on the climate change threads. He flew off the handle a little when his posts starting getting trolled and flagged by climate change deniers. He needed to be defended and also I made many pleas to him to back down a little. Not sure if it was me or anyone else but he remains on this forum contributing particularly in the field of climate change and has calmed down.

lar_lef | 14 novembre 2016

Well at least Guliani (spelling?) a good choice.

@lar_lef. He has lost all his credibility in the US.

Here is a classic summary of the election by comedian John Oliver.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSDUsMwakI

lilbean | 15 novembre 2016

Actually, I think Brittany Hughes answers John Oliver's question, "How did we get here?"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IhRL8OwO4

lilbean | 15 novembre 2016

Here's a something to think about: (since John Oliver brought it up)
Could it just be that a genocide may be taking place today? Aimed at minorities? Yep, it's called abortion and it's happening under the guise of "women's rights". 900 babies a day and we got women believing this is good for them. Genius. Hmmm. I'm fertile myrtle and I don't need an abortion to plan my parenthood. Wake up America!

RedShift | 15 novembre 2016

@lilbean

Wow. Just wow.

Ethan_M | 15 novembre 2016

All righty then... back the OP's topic y'all.

The OP's topic is something that's very much so been on my mind. I've already mentioned elsewhere what I do for a living. It just so happens that I was in the Johns Hopkins surgery residency program while Dr. Carson was Chief of Ped Neurosurgery.

I've been shocked by so many of the things he's said on the campaign trail- very different persona from what I had encountered at Hopkins - granted of course, as a trainee my direct interaction with him was close to nil (never scrubbed in on a case with him).

Many at Hopkins are silent with regards to their opinions of Dr. Carson, primarily because research funding is very political, and funding dollars are becoming exceedingly difficult to come by- hence best not to bite the possible hand that may, if not feed you, perhaps have a major say in your share of the funding pie. Every person I'm in touch with at Hopkins (dept. of surgery) privately feels that Dr. Carson would be a disaster as secretary of education. And surgeon general? Forget about it. Unfortunately, people in the know won't speak up. Especially now.

Bighorn | 15 novembre 2016

@Ethan M +1
From another Carson era Hopkins alum

Captain_Zap | 15 novembre 2016

Other than the disturbing things that he said in the last several months, this is what I remember Giuliani for:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/16/nyregion/affronted-by-nude-last-supper...

Wow.

Hadn't read that piece before.

Disturbingly tumultuous times ahead...

J.T. | 15 novembre 2016

@Ethan_M >>>>Many at Hopkins are silent with regards to their opinions of Dr. Carson, primarily because research funding is very political, and funding dollars are becoming exceedingly difficult to come by- hence best not to bite the possible hand that may, if not feed you, perhaps have a major say in your share of the funding pie.

This doesn't speak well for the medical research community.

lar_lef | 15 novembre 2016

Giulani was extreme re his actions re paintings, but his artisitc taste i agree with, (Old fashioned).

@J.T. - not sure if a reply is necessary from me, but my statement I hope does not come as a surprise to anyone.

As a matter of fact, it has been the status quo for as far back as I can remember for academia/academic medicine to be as politically charged an arena as public/ governmental politics.

It is downright vicious- in case your professional background does not delve into academia, perhaps you should look up the term "publish or perish".

SCCRENDO | 15 novembre 2016

@Ethan. Thanks for the great insight. Unfortunately many on the right are blind to reality and censor themselves by only reading and seeing what they want to see. We have all agreed to wait and see and give Trump a chance. But things are not looking good so far. I would also encourage you to continue giving the Muslim perspective. Some need a reminder that you are one of us.

@JT. Not all physicians are prepared to speak up. However physicians are often activists. I am ashamed to say that Assad is a London trained opthalmologist and there is a Syrian Endocrinologist in my area who trained with him and said he was a good physician. What a tragic turnaround.

@SCCRENDO - tis a pleasure.

I totally hear you.

"Unfortunately many on the right are blind to reality and censor themselves by only reading and seeing what they want to see."
- I really couldn't agree more with this.

"We have all agreed to wait and see and give Trump a chance. But things are not looking good so far. "
- And this.

"I would also encourage you to continue giving the Muslim perspective."
And this as well. It is an uphill battle. Regrettably for example, many state officials haven't accepted my repeated and years-old invitation to visit and break bread at the local mosque. They'll gladly take my vote, tax and donation money, but couldn't be bothered to have a visit. One state official's loved one ended up on my operating table- the official thanked me over and over again at the hospital, got me chocolates, flowers, offered gift cards (which I declined), but would not grant me a visit to my local mosque. I persevere nonetheless.

SCCRENDO | 15 novembre 2016

@Ethan. You are a wonderful man. Keep it up. Where are you located? If I am in the area at any point I would love to break bread with you in your Mosque

ckcland2 | 15 novembre 2016

I vote @Silver for Sect of Education. He sure is good at correcting his own spelling/grammar :)

sect = Secretary

good = repetitive

Bighorn | 15 novembre 2016

Carson has disavowed any interest in serving in the cabinet. Says he has no government experience. Hmmmm.

dsvick | 15 novembre 2016

@Bighorn - "Carson has disavowed any interest in serving in the cabinet. Says he has no government experience"

So he doesn't have enough government experience to be a cabinet member, but he was fine with wanting to be president? I think that explains what he thinks about the job of the president.

J.T. | 15 novembre 2016

@Ethan_M I meant no personal affront to you, it was just a comment based on the very repeated caveat that the only thing evil needs to take hold is for the good people to do nothing. It's been repeated so often lately that it's unfortunately beginning to sound trite.

I don't think the publish or perish analogy is apt because, as you said it is a long held widely accepted state of affairs in academia. Therefore, those who enter that realm should be prepared to deal with the demands.

My good friend SCCRENDO, I feel, would not hesitate to speak out strongly against global warming deniers even if it meant he might be at risk financially. And, should that ever happen and I was made aware of it I would do my best to ease his situation because though I find him close minded and irritating he has shown himself to be a warrior for his cause. Much like Don Quixote but still deserving of respect. :-)

As Bh points out the matter is moot because Dr. Carson is wise enough to know what he doesn't know. More people should follow his example.

SNL Weekend Update mentioned that being 70 with no experience couldn't even get you a job at Target.

Pages