Forums

How much will you ACTUALLY use full autonomy?

How much will you ACTUALLY use full autonomy?

I like to drive, and if the M3 comes out as good as I hope it will, it's going to be a very fun car to drive.

So how often do you think you will actually use full autonomy? Which situations do you think you will use it vs. turn it off?

I'm planning to get the option either way, I'm just curious if others have thought about how their driving habits might change.

KP in NPT | 26 novembre 2016

I will use it regularly on my commute.

I drive 185 miles each way to work. (One round trip a week.) The ride to work is usually 3-3.5hrs not including charging. The ride home is in afternoon rush hour, which is of course after a long work day where I've been awake since usually midnight or 1am local time. That drive regularly takes 4-5 hours. The first time my car drives me all the way home I will probably cry with joy. LOL

greg | 26 novembre 2016

"The ride home is in afternoon rush hour, which is of course after a long work day where I've been awake since usually midnight or 1am local time. That drive regularly takes 4-5 hours. The first time my car drives me all the way home I will probably cry with joy."

As will all the other drivers you share the road with. Mostly for making your, and their lives [even if unknowingly] a bit safer as a result :-)

KP in NPT | 26 novembre 2016

@greg - Autopilot has already taken a considerable amount of stress out of my hell drive. ;)

akgolf | 26 novembre 2016

If it works into the budget I'll definitely get it.

I do enjoy driving, but not so much at night and in heavy congestion. So I could see using it often.

Efontana | 26 novembre 2016

If I own it, about 1/3 of the time.

kaffine | 26 novembre 2016

Every time I can I will use it. I hate driving. The only part of driving I like at all is taking turns fast. No one in my house likes driving it is always a problem when we go someone trying to decide who has to drive. My commute is 85 miles each way.

jamilworm | 26 novembre 2016

Eventually I would probably use it every day for my commute, so I could either eat or sleep while my car drives me to work. It would definitely be nerve racking though to build up the trust. I really can't even imagine how that transition will be.

Frank99 | 26 novembre 2016

I'd use it daily - 40 miles a day on a well-marked freeway, and 20 miles a day on less well-marked surface streets. A couple of times a year a well-marked 350 mile drive to SoCal on I-10. It's a great fit for us here in the great SouthWest.

SamO | 27 novembre 2016

199% self driving
1% fun driving

Why greater than 100%?

Because my car(s) willl also be driving in the Tesla Network. Making me $.

7e7guy | 27 novembre 2016

Wonder how much would the autopilot option cost on a M3. My main reason for a M3

d.r.coursol | 27 novembre 2016

At this point in my life I'd enjoy being chauffeured around... even if my driver is an a narrow form of Ai. Just dawned on me I will need a name for my M3/Chauffeur.

Having a fully Autonomous vehicle may allow us to go to a one car family, overall reducing expenses. Honestly at first I thought not owning a car and just summoning a Tesla via the network would be crazy... the more I think of it the more I love the idea.

chrisamirkhanian | 27 novembre 2016

The biggest reason I ever reserved a M3 before it was even shown to the public was because of full autonomy. I was certain it would be fully autonomous and I am counting seconds (literally) until I get my car and have it drive me around. I'll probably drive 5% of the time. The rest I'll leave up to M3. CAN'T WAIT.

up north | 27 novembre 2016

I was visiting my mother in law the other day and walked by a room with an old guy doing the full Monty with young good looking gal wiping his rear end. Guess there are some things to look forward to. Full auto not so much but nice for when the time comes. Or Maybe I'll like it.

andy.connor.e | 28 novembre 2016

I will use the full autonomy mostly on longer drives. I tend to get very tired when driving on the highway. But more realistically, i will use the full autonomy on highway drives that last longer than 20 minutes. Because i do still enjoy driving.

Derik | 28 novembre 2016

I'd love to be able to use it on my daily commute (45 miles one way). I'd be pretty happy without the advanced autopilot, but I'd most likely spring for the full package. Sitting in traffic sucks. The idea of being able to have some piece of mind that I'm safer for my nearly 3 hours a day in the car makes it worth it.

ftm3 | 28 novembre 2016

Actual use, twice a month for 350-450 miles at a time. Looking forward to it on those runs.

Patricktarbard | 28 novembre 2016

I love the idea of autopilot, and I would definitely be using it on freeways/motorways. However, there are some sketchy drivers in the UK and I don't really expect the Tesla to know what to do at mini-roundabouts or large roundabouts in fact.

charles_gingras | 29 novembre 2016

If it works as announced I'm going to use it whenever possible.

CraigW | 29 novembre 2016

IMO, plan on purchasing TACC & Autopilot, but hold off on the self-driving features. You can always activate them later and you won't get them initially until states make this all legal. Spend an extra $1000 later and save the early activation - which you won't get - fees.

Having owned a very early S and one with Autopilot 1.0, I would never by another car without Autopilot. It reduces the stress of heavy freeway driving and long distance trips tremendously. You have to stay alert, but at least the car has your back.

Frank99 | 29 novembre 2016

Patrick -
Ooohh, an autonomous vehicle in a crowded roundabout. That could either be spectacularly uneventful, or there could be several interesting failures. I'd love to sit in the middle and watch them testing those scenarios...

cpmarino | 29 novembre 2016

If it gets to the point where it is good enough to truly drive itself, then I could see myself using it here and there locally and just like regular old cruise control on longer trips. But, as it stands, if you have to keep your hands on the wheel, what the hell is so hard about steering that you can't do it yourself? Personally, it doesn't excite me all that much other than being cool ... driving is my time to unwind or mentally prepare for the day ahead ... so, no thank you, I don't want to bust out the laptop and do work on my commute. Driving relaxes me. I enjoy it. A good car, a good road, some good tunes ... not sure I'd pay the extra for fully autonomous driving but realistically we're going to have a good five years before we need to think about it. I'm just hoping to get my new M3 before 2020.

PhillyGal | 29 novembre 2016

Some additional if slightly adjacent answers:

http://www.teslarati.com/forego-car-ownership-tesla-ride-sharing/

jtshaw | 29 novembre 2016

I'd guess I'd end up using autonomous driving about 95% of the time. I love to drive when it is fun. Unfortunately much of the driving I do isn't fun, it's driving at slow speeds in traffic to and from my office. I'd love to be able to crack out my Kindle and read a book instead of sitting in stop and go traffic.

topher | 29 novembre 2016

"I don't really expect the Tesla to know what to do at mini-roundabouts or large roundabouts in fact."

Presumably UK drivers DO, and they will teach the AI. The thought that confuses me is 'priority change ahead'. From the little I could see when I was over there, this is essentially magic. Two cars that can't detect each other decide who will drive on the single lane road. :-)

Thank you kindly.

Haggy | 29 novembre 2016

I have no idea. I expect the car to be fun to drive. I expect long stretches of freeway to be less fun to drive, but autopilot can handle those. That leaves full self driving for when I don't feel like driving, but I still have to be there for legal reasons and must be fully able to drive. I don't know when that will be. Self driving will be decidedly non-aggressive and anybody considering the more performance oriented options will gain no benefit from them when self driving. I suppose that will cover city driving when there's more than enough traffic that it would be more relaxing if I don't have to drive.

I think the feature will make it like having two different cars where I decide which one I want to use, knowing that they are dissimilar. They will just happen to be the same car. I'm almost definitely getting it, but I can't say why it's needed. It might be a good feature for my 80 year old mother if she wants to drive it. I might enjoy the novelty of it. If it can truly go away and find a parking space on its own, and then come get me, that would be useful. But most of all I'll be getting it because I want it, not because I wouldn't enjoy the car without it. I expect that I would enjoy the car just as much without it on most occasions, and might end up driving less than I should. I don't want to find myself unable to drive on my own 20 years from now.

mazinyen129267 | 29 novembre 2016

If the law allows driver-less self driving car, then all the time. No need to have two cars in the family, wife should be able to summon the car when she needs it, or it can go back home after dropping me at work.

shellyandbillroman | 29 novembre 2016

Plan to use it every day when commuting in rush hour stop-n-go traffic. Probably on long highway trips as well.

tedirelan | 30 novembre 2016

Always. I mean, we're talking about a machine that is safer than myself. It can see in all the way around itself constantly and react in milliseconds. To not only make my family safer, but all other drivers on the road, I will be using Auto-pilot all the time.

Realure | 30 novembre 2016

My wife tried it once and was so terrified that she never did it again having it since the introduction. When the machines inevitably turn on us fleshbags, she will survive (see Terminator and Battlestar Galactica for this basic plot line).

I use it for bump-to-bump traffic and long distance freeway travel without weather. I am a L5 skeptic, but believe these two use cases will be the near term uses for most folks. Basically adaptive cruise control and lane keeping just like the Chevy Bolt I am getting has.

charles_gingras | 2 dicembre 2016

@tedirelan: excellent point, I'll definitly enjoy a safer ride too.

There is way too much narcissism from people thinking "AP may be better than the average driver but hey! I'm way better than the average driver so I'll be (much) better than AP".

Badbot | 2 dicembre 2016

Study's show that the very bad drivers are the ones that think that they are the BEST drivers bar none.

carlos | 2 dicembre 2016

None,,,, I cancelled my reservation. Peace out!!

Laird | 2 dicembre 2016

I'm very excited about autonomous driving. Estimates are that it should result in a 90% reduction in collisions, and saving my kids' lives is very high on my list of priorities.

That being said, there are times when driving is fun, and I'd hope that I can get a semi-autonomous mode where I'm driving, but the auto-pilot is standing by to save my life in case something happens around me that I don't see.

noleaf4me | 2 dicembre 2016

As much as possible!!!

SUN 2 DRV | 2 dicembre 2016

Depends on how close to 100% reliable it becomes. It is were to be 100% reliable then I'd let it handle the 3.5 hour chore of daily commuting, and I'd read or catch up on email. But I'd still like to drive myself on weekends.

However unless I can trust it 100% of the time (accepting the fact that it will eventually fail anyway) I will drive myself most of the time. There's no way I'll train myself to effectively MONITOR what the AP is doing. I believe in either TRUSTING or DRIVING, but not MONITORING. Humans just don't do well at monitoring, too easy to get bored and distracted. So it's all or nothing for me....

Haggy | 2 dicembre 2016

If the law allows self driving cars, that doesn't necessarily mean it will allow one without a licensed driver or that it will allow one to drive unattended.

Red Sage ca us | 3 dicembre 2016

SUN 2 DRV: Elon Musk has said the goal they are going for is to be 10 times as safe as a human driver. I'm not sure if he has stated whether that is ten times less likely to have an accident as a good driver, or a bad driver. I would hope the former, rather than the latter. Idea being, if there are likely to be 100 accidents of a certain type in a certain place without Autonomy engaged, then there would only be 10 accidents in a similar situation with Autonomy engaged. Not 100%, but 900% 'better' from a certain perspective.

SUN 2 DRV | 3 dicembre 2016

Haggy: Yes exactly. If I'm required to Monitor, I'd just as soon do the driving myself so that I'm actively in the control loop...

Red: The key question is how much human engagement is also concurrently required to achieve that safety improvement. I'm a big believer in "task ownership", and there should be a single entity responsible for achieving that task. "Split responsibilty" introduces too many ambiguities, especially if the machine is handling the easy stuff and then abruptly needs the "sleepy" human to take over for the exceptional stuff.

topher | 3 dicembre 2016

"I'm not sure if he has stated whether that is ten times less likely to have an accident as a good driver, or a bad driver."

Average drivers. MTBF.

Thank you kindly.

topher | 3 dicembre 2016

oops.

MTBF of 1,000,000 Miles.

Thank you kindly.

SUN 2 DRV: The classification of LEVEL 5 AUTONOMY is in and of itself defined by 0% human engagement for safe self driving vehicles. No one will have to use Autopilot 2.0 or even Autopilot 3.0 features for that to happen some day. The sensors on the car will gather data and send it back to Tesla Motors. There it will be analyzed and used to create the software that will run the L5 systems, and by some definitions, Autopilot 2.0 already meets most of the requirements of L4, and all of those for L3. Pretty much everyone else is toying with someday thinking about offering L2, eventually.

Elon's striving for that 10:1 ratio will be to convince insurance companies and regulatory agencies. Because when their fully autonomous vehicles are demonstrably and statistically superior to human drivers, no one will have a leg to stand on in opposition. If it was GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, AUDI, Jaguar, Honda, Toyota, or Nissan...? Regulators would probably be fine with 1:1 capabilities between Man and Machine. Tesla's cars will be very much capable of self driving, with no human control, monitoring, or engagement long before regulators will allow, or insurance companies mandate its use.

bryan.whitton | 3 dicembre 2016

We have two M3 on reservation. I know I will drive it in AP nearly 100% of the time. My commute is 46 miles round trip and it is shear boredom. HOV all the way, average speed about 13 MPH. Why would I want to do that every day when the car could do it on its own. I could spend that time reading email and getting my day started.
I don't find driving all that much fun. I ride Motorcycles for fun. I have raced nearly all my life motocross, roadracing, flat track, enduros and cross country. No car can compare to that. But I have to drive. Public transportation is out of the question. Spending 5 hours a day on a train isn't an option. AP is a great option.

Haggy | 3 dicembre 2016

Getting it to 100% will be very difficult. The car would have to know things such as whether it can use a carpool lane, whether it needs to stop at a toll booth or whether I have a transponder, and if I stop at a tollbooth, has my receipt been handed to me? If I am visiting a gated community, do I have a gate opener or do I need to stop at the guard station, and would it know where the guard station is, especially if I needed a different lane for that? If it sees blue flashing lights in the rear view camera, will it know to pull over?

Some situations are referred to as 'the last mile'. I think others will be debated beyond 'the last 1/4 inch'. As it stands today, I would not use Autopilot in any situation where I would not use Cruise Control. I have seen video of people on YouTube using Autopilot rather successfully in situations I would not be personally comfortable with. But I'm certain that the time will come when situations such as a crowded parking lot after a football game or concert, negotiating the streets around a public school as students are let out of class, dealing with a construction site with flagmen using hand signals and inadequate signage, or driving through snow and ice while crawling through a crash site will be something that a proper Autonomous system can handle the deed at least as well as I can, and possibly far better.

topher | 4 dicembre 2016

"Getting it to 100% will be very difficult. ... use a carpool lane, ... stop at a toll booth or whether I have a transponder, ...If I am visiting a gated community, do I have a gate opener or do I need to stop at the guard station...If it sees blue flashing lights in the rear view camera, will it know to pull over?"

Not sure why you think any of those are hard. You will be able to tell it which toll transponder you have, then it will know more than you do about which lanes it can use. HOV lanes? The car does know how many seats are occupied, and if you have a sticker, it can be told that as well. Gated communities, it will do the same as you do, drive up and see if the gate opens. Blue lights? sure.

No, I hard parts I see are ones that genuinely require human - human interaction. Will the car pause to let some other car out of a side street? How will it communicate that to the other driver? Knowing the difference between a human standing by the side of the road, and one about to jump across it. All those times you say, "I just knew that guy was going to do that" without being able to explain (to an AI) how you knew that.

Thank you kindly.

CKarp | 4 dicembre 2016

My question is... HOW fully autonomous is it in terms of GPS destination. Will it make all of the turns and stuff itself?

Really stupid question that I should have had answered during my Test drive. But I was so in awe that it escaped me.

So I had my test drive autopilot itself on a semi-busy road w/ a 50mph speed limit. And it went great. I felt like Michael Knight. Though I realize I still need to keep on eye on stuff, especially intersections.

But my question is... if I plug in an address.. will it automatically make all of the turns and stuff to get me from point A to B?

CKarp | 4 dicembre 2016

EDIT: I just want to add that my "understanding" was that it doesn't do a full route and is mostly just a really really good "cruise control" But someone was saying that it DID do that.

Red Sage ca us | 4 dicembre 2016

CKarp: A fully AUTONOMOUS vehicle will do all of that. A car with Autopilot will not. Autopilot is currently meant to be an onramp to offramp system used on divided highways without cross traffic or street lights.

Haggy | 6 dicembre 2016

So topher,

How will it know if I'm finished paying the toll collector? How will it know if I need to stop to talk to the guard at the gated community? How will it know when he tells me to go ahead? How will it know that I needed to get in that lane in the first place or where the door is that it needs to stop next to?

SamO | 6 dicembre 2016

1. The toll arm will rise.

2. The gate arm won't rise.

3. The gate arm will rise.

4. It will have been there before and mapped the route OR it will give you a terminus other than your desired destination (say the guard gate rather than your final destination). But next time it will know what to do.

Pages