Forums

What is Vehicle hold?

What is Vehicle hold?

Still reading the manual but on page 61, I read 3 times but can't understand what Vehicle means. Could someone please explain?
Thanks

PedanticOne | 27 dicembre 2016

If I'm not mistaken, this means that if you are on a hill and stopped, the vehicle hold light will light up and you can actually take your foot off the brake. This allows you to move to the gas pedal to move again without the danger of rolling back.

PedanticOne | 27 dicembre 2016

(you might also need to press firmly on the brake to engage hold)

lilbean | 27 dicembre 2016

Vehicle hold happens at any time you stop when creep mode is off and you press firmly on the brake. You can then lift your foot off the brake. Vehicle hold also occurs when on an incline and a press on the brake may be required to release the hold.

burdogg | 27 dicembre 2016

I think they answered it well enough :)

So if you drive with creep, I assume hold does not happen (as creep will pull the vehicle forward on an incline, so you don't roll backward?) Just be sure when not on Creep and on an incline, that Hold is in fact engaged (H on the dashboard cluster). I had after a stop sign, just on a very slight incline, thought I was on hold, took my foot off the brake and almost rolled into the person behind me (Even though I had put the brake on, it must not have been hard enough to engage Hold).

poloX | 27 dicembre 2016

OK, I am not using creep mode. So there is nothing for me to do, when I am in that situation (incline), VH mode will automatically engaged, right?

I remember one poster posted a warning that he/she was on an incline and the moment he/she move the foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, the car roll back and hit another car behind. So he/she must have been on creep mode? Does not make sense either way. Could you explain this then? The user manual does not do a good job on this topic. Or maybe it's just me. Thank you all for helping. I suspect I won't see VH mode often being in Houston. :o) But it's good to know for out of town trips.

The important thing is to press the brake firmly enough until you see the H with a circle around it on the instrument panel.

Solarman004 | 27 dicembre 2016

lilbean, one correction-- vehicle hold will work even with creep mode on, as long as you firmly press the brake pedal until the VH light comes on.

@solarman, yes, VH worked for me when creep was off only when I was on a steep incline. It didn't work for me at red lights.

Polo - with creep mode off - you will roll backward - the hold does not automatically engage. Like lilbean said - make sure you push firm enough on the brake pedal and that the H with a circle around it is seen on the instrument cluster :)

@solarman, I meant with creep mode on, VH didn't work for me at red lights.

poloX | 27 dicembre 2016

Read this part again in the manual, no mention about firmly press on the brake until the H with circle appears. Thank you all for the answers.

Summary: Creep mode OFF, roll backward if on incline BUT VH will work. Creep mode ON, won't roll backward BUT VH does NOT work. Kind of makes sense now. Did I get it all right?

Last question, on the perfectly flat surface, can I test VH, will it come on? I guess I can go to the garage and test it now but...thanks

I think with creep mode on, it will still roll back. I keep creep mode off. That works for me.

MIDI 1066 | 27 dicembre 2016

On my model x vehicle hold works with creep on whether on an incline or on a flat road On a flat road it is effectively the same as disengaging the creep mode

Yes. This topic has come up before. It seems that I'm the only one who can't get VH to work when creep mode is on. I'm fine with that because I don't use creep mode.

polo - yes Hold will come on even on flat surfaces - because even a very slight incline can cause you to roll backward into the car behind you. It is nice just to press firmly, see the H come on and know i can take my foot of the brake.

MIDI 1066 | 27 dicembre 2016

I had a software update yesterday Will check to confirm vh still works as I reported

poloX | 27 dicembre 2016

...and the Park brake = emergency brake = hand brake = only brake on the rear wheels. Can I assume that VH applies brake on all 4 wheels? Anyone knows?

Solarman004 | 27 dicembre 2016

I see the same as MIDI 1066-- I always have creep mode on, and VH works on any slope if I press the brake hard enough. It also works in reverse.

Triggerplz | 28 dicembre 2016

Vehicle hold, that's when your car is in the shop and they don't have the parts to fix it :-)

poloX | 28 dicembre 2016

:o) Fits that meaning perfectly. Is that happening to you Trig?

@poloX no I have mine but I do have to take it next week to the SC to replace the sensor in my FWD I think all that Easter Egg wing flapping must have pulled a muscle :-)

poloX | 28 dicembre 2016

I am going to try my Easter Egg tonight. Hope your is fixed soon. Happy New Year!!!

@PoloX Thanks and a happy New Year to you and your family

SolidWhite60DX | 28 dicembre 2016

Maybe I'm used to pressing the brakes too hard but I see the hold pretty much every time I stop (with creep off).

It is actually very nice to be able to release the brake and relax knowing that the car won't move (after checking that the H has appeared).

poloX | 28 dicembre 2016

Just experienced it now. Nothing special at all, I stopped at the light and VH engaged. I did;t even press the brake pedal that hard at all. Very light indeed. Interesting. Also just played the Ester Egg thing. way too cool. Will do it again tomorrow, with volume cranked up louder tomorrow.

1 Question please: My driver door if it is wide open, it will close easily. But if it only crack open about 2-3 inches, it won't close. Is this normal or I should have it fixed?
Thanks

poloX | 28 dicembre 2016

Just experienced it now. Nothing special at all, I stopped at the light and VH engaged. I did;t even press the brake pedal that hard at all. Very light indeed. Interesting. Also just played the Ester Egg thing. way too cool. Will do it again tomorrow, with volume cranked up louder tomorrow.

1 Question please: My driver door if it is wide open, it will close easily. But if it only crack open about 2-3 inches, it won't close. Is this normal or I should have it fixed?
Thanks

lilbean | 28 dicembre 2016

It should close even if open just two inches.

poloX | 28 dicembre 2016

OK, Thanks much lilbean. I have a door problem then. Thanks again.

Try this. It may work.
Thanks to ohmman on TMC
Front Door Calibration
From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.

Sometimes if my door doesn't open wide enough, I give it a slight push in and then pull the door open. At least with the way my door works, if I pull the door before pushing it in a bit, it feels like I'm forcing the mechanism. Then auto close with the brake if you're inside or with the fob if you're outside the car.

poloX | 29 dicembre 2016

Thanks lilbean, I will try it now. But the first step is not too clear: From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset." scroll wheel reset is to press both on the steering wheel. But what is "touchscreen"?

I don't have a problem if the door does not open all the way, no problem pushing the door a bit here. But if the door only opens a bit and I walk away thinking it can be closed with the key fob and it does not, that is my concern. Thanks

lilbean | 29 dicembre 2016

The touchscreen is the 17" screen.
I will say the door can be buggy and there is no rhyme or reason for the behavior. I like to press the fob once when I walk away to make sure it closes. Does that work if the door is open just a little bit?

poloX | 29 dicembre 2016

No, it only works when the door is wide open. If it crack open just a few inches, it won't close. The Pass side door is OK. Just tested and it works even 2" open.

I know the touch screen, I know the scroll wheels, I don't understand the 2 of them in one sentence. What does "do a scroll wheel (touch screen) reset mean? Or the press on the 2 scroll wheels reset the 17" screen. How does that closes the door? I will give it a try now anyway. Thanks lilbean for all your help.

Yes. That's what I meant. Pressing and holding the scroll wheels resets the 17" screen and pressing and holding the buttons above the scroll wheels resets the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Sorry for the confusion. Happy to help. I hope I'm actually helping. :-)

poloX | 29 dicembre 2016

Thanks lilbean. No problem at all if it does not work. Actually, I think it needs some adjustment but I will give it a try anyway. No harm no fault. Thanks

:-)

poloX | 29 dicembre 2016

and...it does not work as expected. :o) Ohwell. Not a huge problem. Just push it out further and then it will close. Or push it a big closer till where it latches and it will then closes on its own too.
Thanks

These cars have minds of their own. Hopefully it will just work itself out.

jRoGville | 29 dicembre 2016

polo, you might put it on your list for the next time you go the SC. The behavior doesn't seem right, especially when the problem doesn't occur with the passenger side.