Forums

Tire rotation during service for Tesla Model X

Tire rotation during service for Tesla Model X

The annual service clear stated that it includes tire rotation. However, the service center wants to charge owner extra for rotating the right and left front tire because it is not consider tire rotation? Can someone explain how is that not a tire rotation. My wife and I loved our Model X, when we turn in our car for annual service, we told the service center that the front tire needs to be rotate because the out side (lateral side) rim of the right tire is already wearing off likely due to turning right most of time on street and freeway. When we pick up the car, there were no tire rotation because the service center told us that switching right front tire to left front side and left front tire to right side is not tired rotation. After paying $625 for the annual service, switching tires from right and left is not tire rotation???? Please what is the proper term of such rotation of tires then. Please if this is not included please have the corp office writing a clear exclusion in the service plan.

en4investment | 21 marzo 2017

The service center should make clear that rotation between the front tires is not include in the service when we first turn in the car. Instead they just told us that it will be done. It is a bad custom service when I pick up the car that the service person told me the tire were rotated when it was not. Because of the wear and tear on the outer rim I told them that the tire was not rotated, then at time the service manger then change their answer that the tire cannot be rotated between front and back because is different tire. And rotating between right and left front tire is not tire rotation that is include in the $625 annual service. Hum, they should told me in the first place when I turn in the car.

en4investment | 21 marzo 2017

The service center should make clear that rotation between the front tires is not include in the service when we first turn in the car. Instead they just told us that it will be done. It is a bad custom service when I pick up the car that the service person told me the tire were rotated when it was not. Because of the wear and tear on the outer rim I told them that the tire was not rotated, then at time the service manger then change their answer that the tire cannot be rotated between front and back because is different tire. And rotating between right and left front tire is not tire rotation that is include in the $625 annual service. Hum, they should told me in the first place when I turn in the car.

xueju1121 | 21 marzo 2017

I'm so sorry but I'm confused.

Tire rotation usually means to rotate between BOTH front and rear tires. And since MX comes with staggered set up, which means BOTH rear tires are actually wider, I'm not sure that's what you want or mean.

Rotation between right and left is NOT tire rotation and I'm not sure it's safe, either. Most of tires are asymmetrical, meaning that the tread pattern on one side is different than the other side. I'm not sure if they can be " switched" between left and right.

And you don't have to post twice.

lilbean | 21 marzo 2017

That was my understanding too, xueju1121.

Yeah Lilbean, something doesn't add up.

lilbean | 21 marzo 2017

I spoke with my service advisor and was told that we cannot rotate the front and rear, xueju1121.

@Lilbean, that is what I expect. I have an 16 X5M with staggered set up and I was told by service those tire can never be rotated. That's a trade off I am willing to take for performance.

OP, if your service did really switch your tires between left and right, stopping driving your car and ask for a tow to service. But I highly doubt they did.

And I am driving a MX P100D with 22s. I will never rotate these tires for the same reason.

lilbean | 21 marzo 2017

My continental silents have to be replaced soon :-( only 8100 miles.

And I am not expecting my pirelli to last more than 10K lol.

lilbean | 21 marzo 2017

Oh well. :)

Model_D | 21 marzo 2017

Tire lesson: Tires with a sidewallmarked Outside or are aysymetric and can only be mounted one way on a wheel. Directional tires are marked with an arrow showing direction of rotation when driving forward or Left/Right. Staggered tires means that a vehicle has different size tires on the front and rear axles.

Currently OE tires on all US bound Model X have staggered tires.

Staggered, aysymetric tires can only be rotated left to right. This rotation has limited benefits for extending tire life. (20" Continnetals)

Staggered, directional tires can be dismounted, turned 180 degrees, remounted and balanced followed by swapping left to right. This is a very effective way to extend tire life.

Staggered, aysymetric, directional tires cannot be rotated.

Vawlkus | 22 marzo 2017

that tire wear is not because of turns, it's because your tires are not aligned properly.

TSammy | 22 marzo 2017

Wow... I am confused... My X60D came with 20 " Continental Crossfits. Rear tires are slightly bigger than front.

All Tires say Outside on the outside as mounted. Discount Tire balances all 4 and rotates my tires side-to-side every 8,000 miles on my Tire protection/Road Hazard plan that I purchased from them.

Are they hurting my tires? Endangering my safety?

Model_D | 22 marzo 2017

Alex, in my opinion what you are doing is safe and smart.

Gary an Rachel | 22 marzo 2017

one other thing on tire wear other than taking off ramps causing tire wear on edge of treads is adjusting your ride height. If you select the lowest setting and drive a few thousand miles you should find the inside of your tires will show excessive wear. This will be a camber problem. Not sure about what happens at full high setting, i never did that.

KMTG | 23 marzo 2017

The owners manual advises against tire rotation and suggest balancing