Forums

Another release candidate - Hi Res and BLUE

Another release candidate - Hi Res and BLUE

PhillyGal | 6 aprile 2017

Thanks for sharing!
I'm not in love with the rear. It reminds me too much of the gag-inducing Audi A7's rear.
But I'll live.

KP in NPT | 6 aprile 2017

I like it but I also don't mind the Audi rear end. Just keep reminding yourself of that drag coefficient. ;-)

Nice to see it in blue....I wonder how many they have.

topher | 6 aprile 2017

Makes that BMW look like the dumpy sibling...

Looks like that rear spoiler got big.
The front change is subtle, and I like it.
Is there no retro-reflector in the charge port cover? That looks a bit weird.

Thank you kindly.

@Topher I'm guessing they just haven't manufactured the charge port cover. I can't imagine it will stay that way.

hsuru4u | 6 aprile 2017

front end is very porche panarama looking which is cool....My mr2 spider has similar headlights.But the rear end looks stunted and lame to me.

jordanrichard | 6 aprile 2017

Perhaps it will look better in person, but that rear "duck tail" is a bit much. It looks like it sticks out a good 3 inches from the vertical part of the trunk. It certain pictures it looks fine, but the profile picture makes it look like something that cut you if you got too close to it.

Ehninger1212 | 6 aprile 2017

The A7 is one of my favorite cars on road, also i love the Porsche-ish front end. the flat nose reminds me of a modern take of the earlier Air cooled vehicles. So excited for this car, i cant say it enough. I feel like this is one of those vehicles i will make excuses to go places just to drive.

Carl Thompson | 6 aprile 2017

The speedometer box is missing from the screen in these photos.

Carl

This is what it looked like at the first reveal. Definitely no speedometer box on the screen on this one.

http://images.frandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/tesla-model-3-tab...

Carl

And what's up with that red glow under the dash?

Carl

@Carl

I was wondering about the red glow as well. Maybe just some simple interior lighting feature in the Tesla signature color?

Maybe its a glare on the window? seems out of place actually.

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

I'm wondering if the red glow in front of the passenger is either a climate indicator, or a touch strip for adjusting temperature for the passenger. It looks to me like part of the car, and not a reflection (unless the passenger is shining a red flashlight at the dash).

The nose looks much more subtle in these than it did in the reveal cars - but most of the images I saw of those were from a different angle. Looks fine here, didn't like the reveal nose at all. Maybe it's all just context...

@Frank

I see what you are talking about now, in the two different angled photos the red light appears in the same spot on the dash, so probably not a glare. Also the red lights down the center console. could that be some "Space Ship" controls?

Well, I'm going to assume the removal of the speed from the center screen means there's some other speedometer display hidden somewhere! A dreamer can dream, right?

Carl

EaglesPDX | 6 aprile 2017

"'m wondering if the red glow in front of the passenger is either a climate indicator, or a touch strip for adjusting temperature for the passenger."

It looks more like the reflection on the shiny dash strip from the brighter red glow from the center console below.

I thought the red lights were glare on the window. The center console seems an odd place for lights. But I suppose I just think that because I don't know the whole picture.

I wonder if the car is in park and that is why there is no speed indicated. The photog walked up to it presumably not while moving?

Some of the UI looks similar to the S/X (air con controls.)

EaglesPDX | 6 aprile 2017

Might just be some test instrument the passenger has going.. Its very bright in daylight for a car indicator light but I think for sure the dash red is a reflection from the red light in the console area.

hsuru4u | 6 aprile 2017

you guys are funny about the whole needing a spedometer gauge in front of you on the dash ect. Whats the big deal? Do you actally sit and stare at your mph?? Its sweet with everything on the 1 screen that may have tilting ability. Clean lines and futuristic. Its an EV not a gas car. the whole need of front gauges is old hat in an ev.

Faustic | 6 aprile 2017

The red light under the dash is from the big red stop button underneath the car; evidently common in test cars.

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/tesla-model-3-spy-photos...

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

I think the string of lights is a reflection in the window - they flow over the passenger seat backrest. The first interior shot shows what might be an interior lighted strip on the driver side of what looks like a center console. This also shows what looks to be a giant kill button down below the display (http://www.thinkgeek com/product/15a5/).

hsuru4u:
"you guys are funny about the whole needing a spedometer gauge in front of you on the dash"

I don't need it there. But I do prefer it there. And there are other needed indicators that have to be _somewhere_.

Carl

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

Ooops, that's not the passenger seat backrest - it's the passengers arm.

Faustic | 6 aprile 2017

And actually the speedometer is more of a third of the way down on the left side of the screen (if you look closely, you can make out a big ole zero). It seems like they're still figuring out its placement (along with all the other info they'd want us to view). I'd hazard a guess that the left 1/3rd of the screen will be dedicated to speedo, indicators, energy information, and/or auto-pilot.

4fishtankz | 6 aprile 2017

LOL, car controlled by hand gestures. I can just see it, when feeling road rage and making a certain jesture, the car honks incessantly. When your passenger white knuckles, what? slows down or?

I see the blue looks like the same on the S

Sandy’s 3 | 6 aprile 2017

Red Kill button. Most likely a battery disconnect.

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

It's supposed to be hinged. People have said it works pretty naturally to push a corner with your thumb,grab the handle and pull. I'm witholding comment 'til I get to try one.

csmith476 | 6 aprile 2017

@Eagles "The door handles look flush with no way to grab them. How do you grab the door handle?"

I thought I remembered that you need to push one side in (left), which protrudes the other side (right), but I would need to rewatch old videos.

Randkthorn | 6 aprile 2017

Front, rear and the rest looks great to me. I change my color preference daily. The door handles do tip out when thumb depresses opposite end (hockey stick head) at least that what I thought I saw at initial reveal.

burdogg | 6 aprile 2017

"I'll be on Autopilot watching Harry Potter" - Show some respect please, unless you have facts.

Faustic:
"And actually the speedometer is more of a third of the way down on the left side of the screen"

Yes, I think you're right. If you look at this photo

- http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/tesla-model-3-spy-photos...

it looks like it's an analog0-style speedometer displayed on the screen with a digital number in the middle.

Carl

Frank99:
"It's supposed to be hinged. People have said it works pretty naturally to push a corner with your thumb,grab the handle and pull. I'm witholding comment 'til I get to try one."

Yeah. I suspect I'll have to explain how the door handle works most of the time I give someone a lift!

Carl

hsuru4u | 6 aprile 2017

well....i like the look of nothing on the dash.....hud can be distracting anyhow. Its not an airplane....the clean lines on the dash area are excellent and less issues to deal with. Even old gas cars were a pain if a dash light went out to remove the dash and get to it or replace a gauge. Its the future people embrace it!

I like it too. But I'm also used to the clean look with our Model S, and have never been a fan of cockpits that light up like Christmas trees. I liked it in the prototype, actually. I really hope they offer it in the white like they did then. And they offer the white vegan seats. That's what I'd get - it looks very modern.

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

I think the clean dashboard s a startling look. I'd never seen a car with a drivers seat that wasn't surrounded by knobs, buttons, toggles, indicator lights, gauges, etc., and the obvious incongruity was shocking and I didn't know whether I liked it or hated it.
But, I like it now. My mind has gotten past the "that doesn't look right phase", and into the "Why didn't anybody do it this way before?" phase. I think it'll be seen as a revolutionary change - 5 years from now, the cluttered dash is going to look as hopelessly out of date as comparing a 1960's IBM 360 (complete with toggles and 10 bazillion flashy blinky lights) to a Mac Mini.

That's a great analogy, Frank. So true.

I remember a couple of years ago when we first started thinking about replacing my car - husband was advocating no NAV, because with phones today we don't use it. But I didn't want separate stereo/aircon controls (among other things) because I like them integrated into the screen of my Lexus. The S took it a step further and now I would never want to go back.

So I think I figured out why the new release candidates don't look as good to me. The area on the doors in between the top and bottom creases has changed. On the prototype version it was somewhat flat:

- http://st.motortrend .com/uploads/sites/5/2016/05/2017-Tesla-Model-3-front-three-quarter-03.jpg
- https://electrek.files.wordpress .com/2016/04/model-3-wild-e1459564570677.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&strip=all&w=1600&h=1000
- https://cleantechnica .com/files/2016/04/model3_quarter_mod2-1.png

But on the new release candidates is a soft concave shape:

- http://insideevs .com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/tesla-model-3-spy-photos-2.jpg

This seems to significantly take away from the "sharpness" and makes it look cheaper to me.

Carl

I also like the clean look of the dash. Model 3 is still "winning!"

Carl

EVMan | 6 aprile 2017

Did anyone notice that there is no Tesla emblem on the front?

Ken

krdenault there is no badging at all on the car - front or back.

sbeggs | 6 aprile 2017

Thanks, @KP.

Looking good!

akgolf | 6 aprile 2017

I likey!

Haggy | 6 aprile 2017

Both cars have the redesigned trunk hatch with the split on the side part of the lamp housing, which presumably now opens with the trunk.

efodix | 6 aprile 2017

Just looking at those red lights...some of them are glare, but some seem to follow the curve of the central console. So they're pretty much a part of the car, it's just a question of whether they're here just for testing or whether they'll have an actual purpose on cars released to the public.

Hmmm, since this car is supposed to go head to head with BMW, does anybody else think that they sent the 2 cars out together as a teaser and to be seen together for comparison? Don't get me wrong, I like the pictures of the sitings and all, but wonder if it's planted to get us worked up (and working LOL). Otherwise why not just send it out with an S? Makes me want to take a drive out there and see if I can find one in the wild myself :).

Frank99 | 6 aprile 2017

In the initial spotting, the drivers of the Model 3 and the BMW were switching places. There was speculation that it was a way to directly compare the two - drive the 3 for awhile, drive the BMW for awhile, etc. But, I like your speculation better.

Pick me, Pick me, I want to volunteer for comparing the two! :).

foxinthebox | 6 aprile 2017

What if the lights resemble speed, green =within limit and red is over etc. that way you don't need a speedometer

ColoDriver | 6 aprile 2017

Haggy,

Take a close look at the side view of the blue car. The tail light has a small piece that curves under what is presumably the charging port. That makes me thing the trunk opening hasn't been enlarged to include the tail lights.

I hope it does include the lights because loading a bike "no problem" is one of my few make or break criteria for the Model 3.

Jerrylooney | 6 aprile 2017

Blue looks nicer in the photo that it does in the reservation render - leaning towards that as my choice now.

Pages