Forums

Model X owner feedback

Model X owner feedback

Hi group,

I am a journalist working on a story about the Model X. Would anyone like to share their thoughts about the vehicle quality (suspension, handling, brakes, reliability, gullwing doors, etc.) or overall driving experience of the Model X? Additionally, would anyone like to share their experiences using Autopilot? As Model X owners, your feedback is valuable and appreciated. Thanks!

ericswalz | 5 maggio 2017

Please feel free to post your feedback here. Thanks!

inconel | 5 maggio 2017

When writing the article please note that it is falcon wing door because of the double hinges.

Civilpe | 5 maggio 2017

Hi Eric, I just posted my experience related to my first annual service. I am an engineer and, considering that I am among the early adopters, have been pleasantly surprised by the Model X quality. Have autopilot hardware (AP1) installed but have not yet paid to activate the software.

Brakes and sensors have been working without issues. Earlier this week, the car detected a potential accident and provided an audio and visual alert when the vehicle in front of the vehicle that I was following suddenly slowed down to make an illegal u-turn under a freeway bridge. I was able to stop at the same time as the vehicle in front of me, avoiding an accident that could have occurred due to reaction time. The driver that made the sudden illegal turn had to stop and backed up as his pick up truck did not have the turning radius to make the turn.

This was the second time that this feature worked as intended. The first time was during a rain storm on the freeway. The Model X applied the brakes when traffic suddenly stopped in wet conditions. The car behind me pulled to the shoulder and narrowly avoided a rear end collision. It felt as if the Model X stopped just as fast as it accelerates.

ericswalz | 6 maggio 2017

Thanks. I was impressed by the Autopilot feature which worked well on the busy 101 in California. Brakes are impressive as due to the vehicle utilizing regenerative braking.

speyerj | 7 maggio 2017

Eric, feel free to email me at username speyerj on google's email service. We have a VIN in the 500s and have had it for a year. Happy to share some of the ups and downs.

madodel | 8 maggio 2017

Had my Signature Model X for 15 months now. I live on the east coast in a rural area where EVs including Teslas are very rare. Still get a lot of questions about what I drive every day. Yes, this is my only car and no I have never run out of electricity. I can refuel anywhere there is an electric outlet. Haven't been in a gas station other than once when I was traveling and had a rental. Bizarre having to use a key to start and then remember to turn off and lock a car. And don't get me started about having to open my own door.

I've used AP since the day I picked up my X. Very scary at first trusting that the computer, I mean car, would really follow the road, but it has never failed. Keeps my X in the lane and follows traffic perfectly. But the best feature is the over the air updates. I know of no other car company that does this. I've had several updates since I picked up my X and things get fixed, new features get added and all I have to do it tell it to install the update over the Internet. This is the future. It's not a car, it's a Tesla.

darlin | 9 maggio 2017

madodel +1

preachemail | 10 maggio 2017

I've taught high-speed pursuit and counter terrorism driving for many years in a variety of vehicles. My Model X far surpasses anything I've driven previously. Its handling, acceleration, braking and maneuverability are unsurpassed and in a class above others. Recently I was jarred to a stop when a bicyclist sped out of a blind alley right in front of my vehicle. The sensors and camera prevented what would have been a fatality given the speed of the bicycle and the angles involved.

Tâm | 10 maggio 2017

@ericswalz

I have been one penny pinching cheapo all my life.

A car used to be a means of transportation, nothing more.

I paid for cheapest manual transmission cars with no air conditioners.

I then developed an abhorrent to the petroleum business and was willing to pay more for alternatives to pollution and wars.

I was then able to afford to do that by paying drastically more for Toyota hybrid.

Then at last, I was able to get long-distance-capable all-electric Tesla Model S in 2012. It has been great that there's no gasoline smell from my car any more since now it's zero-emission.

I have now upgraded to Tesla Model X 100D with 5 seater configuration just less than one and a half month ago and 2,000 miles.

First, two complaints:

1) A lack of built-in dash cam option while 2016 GM Cadillac CT6 offers built-in 360 degrees video recordings.

2) A lack of Magnetorheological Suspension: BMW call it “MagneRide”.

But otherwise, I have been happy with it.

The delivery was flawless: no scratches, no quality problems, everything works.

It accelerates and handles better than my older 2012 Model S. It’s quieter with less road and wind noise. There’s more headroom too. And I love the very big windshield that pulls all the way back above my head.

The suspension is satisfactory but Air Technology is not as smooth as Magnetorheological one.

Like the S’, the X’s brakes work well too. When AP2 fails, I could effectively manually brake with no problem:

https://youtu.be/_QSgbG1dWCU

I love the gullwing doors because it’s roomy for passengers and it is easier for me to load luggage and other things.

For the past 2,000 miles, there has been absolutely no problems.

I have driven almost exclusively in AP2 and I am very happy with it.

It is not perfect and I still need to intervene as needed especially, on local roads.

But on freeway and stop-and-go traffic, it has been really great!

I used to go over speed limit with my classic gasoline cars as well as 2012 Model S for they didn't come with Autopilot.

However, since I got AP2, I do observe posted speed limit signs and manually adjust the cruise stick according and AP2 has had no problem with even sharpest curves.

AP2 is a great driving aid for me and I no longer feel I have to drive in a hurry any more.

In summary, I am really happy with Tesla Model X.

CriticalFan | 10 maggio 2017

I am waiting to submit my order for a Model X after having a close friend let me use his AP1 frequently.

The biggest negatives holding me back include:

1) Model X Cabin at highway speeds is way too noisy, both road and wind noise. Clearly there is no to little sound-proofing, the door seals are inadequate, and the windshield is massive for wind noise.

2) The A/C airflow in a 5-seater is very weak for the 2nd row passengers, and living in a hot climate requires a solid A/C for all passengers. Probably a bad idea to remove the rear fan for such a large cabin.

3) The 2nd row seats in the 6 or 7 seater configs do not fold flat or recline, only tilt which is not as comfortable, actually lifts my kids feet off the ground.

4) Despite having Air suspension, there is no way to adjust the suspension ride, like I have in my prior lexus, current porsche and Mercedes vehicles. This was a foolish oversight that would have cost little to include.

5) I really look forward to an autonomous car, but the lack of LIDAR or an additional radar sensor may have been a mistake by Tesla, who does not offer hardware upgrades. I have a friend who got their Model X delivered in September, just before the upgrade was announced. They feel completely deserted with their Gen 1 Auto-pilot system. I don't want the same experience when the 3rd generation is announced.

6) It seems Tesla is really slow getting the HW2 vehicles just to be on par with the HW2 Autopilot.

While there are so many spectacular things about owning a Tesla and the Model X (handling, acceleration, cool factor), having to put up with these issues after spending over $100K seems unsavory to me.

Maybe real feedback will "kick" Tesla going again, but not gonna hold my breath, or rush to put down a non-refundable deposit.

burdogg | 11 maggio 2017

Great to hear from a non-owner who knows nothing about owning this car.

COrich | 11 maggio 2017

@CriticalFan

As with any vehicle, there are those who like it and those who don't. There is nothing wrong with that. You are looking for something different than those of us who are very pleased with our purchase.

I have to say that the X is the first vehicle I have owned that my wife and I could have a normal conversation without raising our voices while driving at highway speeds.

lilbean | 11 maggio 2017

Yep! I love the speed limit sign that pops up on the instrument panel.

Saxman | 11 maggio 2017

CriticalFan

Good luck with your Non Tesla vehicle.
We'll miss your incites on the Forum.

sean949494 | 11 maggio 2017

I think the Model X is the best thing on the road right now I have driven many luxury cars and driving the X is really a great experience. I love the design and the features of the car to me its grade A. With that being said I don't like Tesla's management style in the way they do things they constantly make changes to thee cars and not always for the better. How they handle the autopilot change was ridiculous I ordered a model x 75 D in July of 2016 took delivery sep 30 and three weeks later they changed the autopilot with no prior warning then on top of that they told me the only way to upgrade the hardware was to buy a new car and my car was not a month old. So I sold it and was about to make a order for a P100D and now they have discontinued the active spoiler for the P series with no prior warning and that is one of the main features that made me want that vehicle over the rest of the X line up I am so disappointed it has really made me think about Tesla in a negative light as a company there management style makes me not trust them as a company.

georgehawley.fl.us | 12 maggio 2017

The Model X is one of the goofiest cars ever built with falcon wing doors, motorized front doors and roving rear seats. I have the 7 seat, 90D version. It is also, by far, the most fun car I have ever owned. It drives great. The Mobileye AP1 TACC and Autosteering work pretty well with some refinement needed.

But what other car can put on a holiday show for gathered friends, flapping its wings, flashing its lights and rotating its mirrors in time to the beat of music while I pretend to be giving it verbal cues?

I feel safe in the car and depend on its safety features when hauling precious cargo like grandchildren.

Saxman | 12 maggio 2017

Burdogg +1

Especially when they're giving advice on other threads, "speaking" as an expect.

Gwgan | 12 maggio 2017

madodel+1, CriticalFan-1
14 month old Sig X with some noticeable panel gaps but every other early-release issue has been corrected by Service with a smile—except for the acceleration shudder which I'm confident will be repaired once there is a durable solution available. I wish it were a little quieter at high-speed but this is really only noticeable because it is so quiet otherwise. It is a comfortable car to handle and surprisingly nimble for its size and weight. The FWDs are both a treat and practical. Any mixed feelings I have about non-folding seats arise from my expectations, not from the car itself.

teslas3xy | 12 maggio 2017
ken | 13 maggio 2017

@ericswalz, I am a SigX owner, picked up my X on 3/16/16. Had a few initial problems all of which were resolved immediately and with a Service Smile. I couldn't be happier with my X. I have approximately 17,000+ miles on it and have traveled all over the Western part of the US with no problems that weren't taken care of immediately. Planning ahead gets rid of the anxiety of running out of battery at the wrong time. Honestly, I have owned several MB's, Lexus vehicles, and Cadillac's, etc. and this is the very best car that I have ever owned and I have yet to have to pay a dime for gasoline. I have yet to have a single problem with the falcon winged doors. My golf clubs fit in the Frunk, all the luggage that we need in the trunk, and the rest is petro-free travel. And since most of my charging is done through my home solar system our carbon footprint is very, very small and will be getting even smaller in the future. I only wish everybody could enjoy bypassing those gasoline stations as much as we do. ZERO Emissions is our goal and the Model X and Solar is helping us work toward that goal. Now on to the Solar Shingles and Power Walls and we will be nearly off the grid. Great car, great company!

drdavelynch | 14 maggio 2017

We just ordered and are now waiting for the delivery of our Model X 100D with trailer package. I appreciate all of the comments thus far, and can't wait!

Does anyone out there have experience pulling a trailer? My loaded boat is just about at the 5,000 lb limit. We will not need to pull very far, but will be using the Model X to launch and retrieve the boat several times throughout the year in salt water. I would appreciate hearing from others with experience and advice! Thanks!

rdfbsmith | 15 maggio 2017

We have driven our Model X 90D from San Antonio to Norfolk Virginia and I must say it was a blast set the MX to range mode and enjoy. We met some great people at the Super charger stations but when you stop at a gas station to get some snacks you come out and find people taking pictures of the vehicle and videoing when you open the Falcon doors. besides that AWESOME. Super Charger stations or placed just right. Driving a Tesla that far and adding charge time it added a total of 4.5 hours there and 5 hours back. But over all wonderful we or headed to Florida in 3 weeks. Round trip plus driving around when we got to VA 4K miles cost of (FUEL) zero.

ken | 18 maggio 2017

drdavelynch, I have the hitch setup and have pulled several smaller trailers than what you are talking about. If you haven't tried the trailer hitch setup I suggest that you do so before it comes time to use it. The hitch setup is a little tricky and the first few times the hitch would not disengage and I had to take it in to the SC where they used a rubber hammer and gave it a good bang and the hitch came right off. It clearly takes some getting use to but I can't imagine that you will have a problem once you get used to it. BTW my trailer pulled like a champ. It does take a little extra battery power while pulling the trailer but that is to be expected. You will not have any issues with the power, more than enough. Be sure that you use the trailer mode when towing. Good luck, and enjoy!

peter | 15 dicembre 2018

Last week my Tesla X received a automatic software update. Part of the update was a complete re-design of the screen appearance and functionality. Given the high standard of aesthetics at Tesla the new design is shocking bad.
Buttons or icons for control a miniscule in size and float around in a vaast white/empty field;
Seeing and then getting your finger on the right spot to operate (example, the “play” button) requires some concentration which is not a desirable situation while…driving.
No tutorial arrived with the ‘upgrade’ so I don’t really understand the functionality of some items;
Example: The navigation map is always ON display and at the top of the screen which is distracting (previously you could have no map displayed or locate it at the top of the bottom of the screen.
The “look” of the screen is simply mediocre, on par with the graphic design quality of, I don’t know, a Russian Volta.
You get the idea….I cannot believe that there was even 10 minutes of market-testing this design with any current Tesla X drivers.
thanks for passing on my unsolicited commentary…of course I love my Tesla…but today a little less.

peter | 15 dicembre 2018

Last week my Tesla X received a automatic software update. Part of the update was a complete re-design of the screen appearance and functionality. Given the high standard of aesthetics at Tesla the new design is shocking bad.
Buttons or icons for control a miniscule in size and float around in a vaast white/empty field;
Seeing and then getting your finger on the right spot to operate (example, the “play” button) requires some concentration which is not a desirable situation while…driving.
No tutorial arrived with the ‘upgrade’ so I don’t really understand the functionality of some items;
Example: The navigation map is always ON display and at the top of the screen which is distracting (previously you could have no map displayed or locate it at the top of the bottom of the screen.
The “look” of the screen is simply mediocre, on par with the graphic design quality of, I don’t know, a Russian Volta.
You get the idea….I cannot believe that there was even 10 minutes of market-testing this design with any current Tesla X drivers.
thanks for passing on my unsolicited commentary…of course I love my Tesla…but today a little less.

peter | 15 dicembre 2018

peter | 15 dicembre 2018

wmyers | 17 dicembre 2018

Most articles on Tesla are pure fanboi articles about whatever Elon is promising instead of what exists today. But assuming you want real information I'll throw in the following comments.

1) If you're on the interstate and other cars are behaving and the sun isn't low in the sky, AP works well. If the sun is blazing and low in the sky...AP will do a lot of phantom breaking.
2) Merging has gotten better, but a car sliding in at an angle is still difficult for AP to "see". Same if a car is misbehaving and cuts you off. You will likely have to brake because the Tesla will not see it in time.
3) AP likes to do phantom hard breaking when it sees overpass shadows or sometimes wide loads in the next lane. (Not wide loads in your way, just encroaching on your lane.) The "shadow" issue has improved over the last 6 months however.
4) The dashcam feature apparently is leaving a lot of video files corrupt as Windows has to "fix" the thumb drive each time it's inserted into my PC. I've lost key videos because of that. It's not reliable at the moment.
5) Connectivity to the car from the phone is sporadic. Somedays it's fine. Most days it doesn't connect at all. (My garage has both cell and wifi connectivity so there's zero reason for that.)
6) Similar to the above the "Summon" feature is hit and miss. I can be standing outside my garage in the same spot each day and about 60% of the time it says I need to be closer (that 6 feet?) to the car and other days it's fine.
7) When in AP or just adaptive cruise control, it is better now about easing up to speed and braking in advance. It used to over accelerate and over brake. It's still not great, but it's moved from the driving skills of a 16 year old to maybe an 18 year old in that department.

As an aside, I realized the other day that instead of fully-self-driving cars Tesla should focus first on fully automated braking and acceleration. It already does this, but I have to turn it on. If the car is going to be smart enough to drive around town someday including braking and acceleration, I'll do the steering on my own and it can do the rest - all the time.