Forums

Trunk size

Trunk size

The combined trunk size (inc frunk) of the Model 3 is shown to be 14 cu ft, or 396 litres (according to data published by Teslarati). This is less than half of the Model S at 30 cu ft, and, as it's a sedan rather than a lift back, or hatch back, it seems small for a car that sits in size between an Audi A3 sedan and Audi A4 sedan. The A4 sedan has 17 cu ft of cargo space. The A3 sedan has 15 cu ft of trunk space.
I anticipated the Model 3 to equal or exceed the A3 sedan, so I'm disappointed by the lack of cargo space in the Model 3, which is more inaccessible when compared to the Model S as it has no hatch/lift back.
I understand the Model 3 is not a version 3 car, and is more basic than a Model S, but generating more usable cargo space is not a luxury item.
And with the small frunk space taken up by charging cables, only the rear trunk is usable and it will be less than 14 cu ft.
This makes it difficult for domestic vacations and a roof box will be inevitable, but that will cause drag and decrease range. I can only hope for clever internal packaging solutions, such as Honda's magic [rear] seats. But I doubt this will happen because it's a feature that the Model S does not have.
I am disappointed. Everything's else I have accepted, but cargo space is something that can't be found, or added after the purchase without reducing range and causing additional expense and inconvenience.
I've not cancelled my reservation, but I will be waiting for the car to arrive so I can have a thorough look before I make my mind up.