Forums

New to the Forum - Have my Model S Test Drive booked for Tuesday night

New to the Forum - Have my Model S Test Drive booked for Tuesday night

Hey folks,

Been lurking on the forums for awhile, but decided to Register today. I'm an IT guy living in Calgary, Alberta and as such, a huge fan of technology! Needless to say, I've become a big fan of Tesla and SpaceX over the last few years. Seriously considering a Model 3 as our next vehicle - but realistically it'll be a few years before I can fit it into our budget, so no doubt something newer and nicer will be available by then. haha

Anyways, after reading a post on here about "being a fan of Tesla will get you a test drive" - I decided to test that theory out. I have my test drive booked for this coming Tuesday evening, the 27th, and I'm super excited! I told the gentleman that called me straight up: "I CANNOT afford a Model S or X, but i'm very interested in the 3", and his reply was basically: "I appreciate your honesty. No worries.. being a fan of Tesla is enough for us to give you a test drive!". So theory confirmed. I'm going to have to get my wife to get some pics and video, because I KNOW I'll be the "kid in the candy store" and forget all about it until I get home. lol I'll do my best to "post the results" afterwards.

KP in NPT | 22 giugno 2017

Be prepared to justify your upcoming Model S purchase. ;-)

Have fun!

Frank99 | 22 giugno 2017

Friends don't let friends test drive Teslas. Said friends will end up borrowing money from you to feed the Tesla habit they acquired on the test drive - you know, the old "the first hit's free" come-on.

I have not taken an S test drive, because my credit worthiness is sufficient to walk out the door with one.
My Ego knows that my Super-Ego wouldn't be able to stop my Id.

If I were to give you a word of advice - Don't let the Tesla guy give you a hit of "Ludicrous". One is all it takes to hook you for a lifetime, I've heard.

SUN 2 DRV | 22 giugno 2017

KP & Frank: +100 each

That's Sooooo true....

Birchy: Make sure you and your wife agree on a SAFE word that you can use during the test drive. Agree ahead of time that you'll use it as you're approaching the limit of your ability to resist buying a Model S immediately. And she's instructed to insist that the demo end immediately and safely, unless she also agrees that you should just let loose and go for it!!!

reed_lewis | 23 giugno 2017

Once you drive one, you will want one now. I did the same thing. I drove a Model S thinking I would perhaps someday purchase a 3. Well, the Model S sold me, and I bought an inventory car that night.

stevew737 | 23 giugno 2017

As I tell people...if you go take one for a test drive, be sure to take your check-book along because you will definitely want to buy it.

NKYTA | 23 giugno 2017

Do post the results and let us know which CPO S model you've fallen into.

Welcome!! Grin! :-) :-)

SO | 23 giugno 2017

I had originally planned on waiting a couple more years before I purchased a Model S. After test driving, I purchased one 6 months later.

Buy a used Model S. I bought new but that's because I wanted AP2 hardware and free supercharging to stay with the car.

PhillyGal | 23 giugno 2017

I do you hope you have exceptional self control because as others have said, you will feel an immediate desire to purchase the car.

If you do already own a car though, especially one with a monthly payment, the math to justify a used Model S without autopilot hardware, with a 5-6 year loan and very real fuel savings might be there. More so if you can swap one family vacation (road trip or plane) with a free-juice road trip on the super charger network.

Rocky_H | 23 giugno 2017

Heh, well, unlike all of these other people with no self control, I managed to hold out for 9 months after my test drive! :)

My wife actually skipped out on the test drive and stayed at home because she "didn't really care to test drive a car we weren't going to buy". We were going to wait for the Model 3. I did my test drive and enjoyed it, but was content to wait. Then it was several months later, our daughter's car died, and we were going to pass one of ours down to her, and we were accidentally in the market for a car too soon with the Model 3 not out yet. So we went for it then.

carlk | 23 giugno 2017

When I took my test drive I already have decided of buying one. I took wife because I needed her blessing to do it. And it worked.

SO | 23 giugno 2017

Heck....even my mom who is "not techy" and totally against paying that kind of money for a car, now loves getting a ride in it. She talks more about the car to people than I do. She even recently said she was wrong about not buying the vehicle and can now understand why I did. Wow! She admitted that!!!

SbMD | 23 giugno 2017

Enjoy the ride. As said above, you will be hooked. Although I held out for a year, waiting for the "D" models to be released at the time. It is the only car I've owned that can surprise me every day with how fun it is to drive.

You may find yourself looking at CPO's :)

Silver2K | 23 giugno 2017

book an appointment with your psychiatrist if you don't buy one. You're definitely going to need it!

KP in NPT | 23 giugno 2017

+1 Rocky. We also were going to wait for the Model 3 - but a year before it was even revealed hubby decided to go on a test drive. oops.

He's the practical one in our relationship. When he told me he wanted me to test drive it before we bought, I told him to just do it! (I did go through the exercise but it was pointless.)

And we are still getting a model 3. :)

Haggy | 23 giugno 2017

First of all, you need to make sure that you can't afford the car now. You need to make sure that if you take out an eight year auto loan and drop cable TV and stop buying coffee at Starbucks, you still won't be able to afford it. You could also stick to test driving a P model and refuse to drive a non-performance car so you are certain that you won't be able to afford anything you drive.

If you don't do that, you will find yourself doing it later, and then if you come up with a way to swing it, you might buy it. Or you might decide that if you consider a CPO, it's far less expensive, and then when you factor in what you spend per month on petrol, and that your car payment would replace a payment on a different car and most of your petrol bill, there's a way to justify it. If you can save $2000/year in fuel and plan to keep the car for 10 years, there's $20,000 right there. I have no idea what tax incentives there might be there. But don't be so sure that you can't afford it. Maybe after reading this, you'll want to cancel your test drive. You've been warned.

sbeggs | 24 giugno 2017

@birchy,
Enjoy every moment of your test drive.
In 2013, we weren't planning to buy a Model S, but then we took one for a little spin.
Tried for two months to find potential technical issues that could head off the mounting desire that we were both feeling.
In the end, resistance is futile..with amps times volts winning out, LOL!

hateToShift | 24 giugno 2017

Cancel the test drive if you've got more than 6 figures in your 401k. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pull that out. That's what happened to me, I was a victim of Tesla's free test drive ploy. Now I zip off to work every day with a giant grin on my face thinking how dumb I was, and that I'll never be able to retire.

(Kidding of course, but can't wait for the 3)

sharpe222 | 25 giugno 2017

don't know what the pre owed market is in Canada but it's at least worth looking into if saving 15-30 K makes a huge difference in a decision

Sleepydoc1 | 26 giugno 2017

Just enjoy the ride. Let's just say Screamin' California at Disneyland's California Adventure is 0-60 in 2-5 to 3 seconds.

Frank99 | 26 giugno 2017

According to Wikipedia, California Screamin' accelerates from 0 to 55 in 4 seconds. That puts it about the same as a standard S100D (0-60 in 4.2 seconds). A Ludicrous launch at 0-60 in 2.5 seconds has got to be a completely different animal.

Tropopause | 26 giugno 2017

If Tesla's get any faster, you'll need to pass a physical before test driving.

Silver2K | 26 giugno 2017

hah! you'll need to pass the nasa space program physical before you can test drive a tesla :)

SUN 2 DRV | 27 giugno 2017

Birchy, I guess today's the big day... make sure you and and your wife chose a Safe Word!

Enjoy your test drive and welcome to the Tesla Owner's club. :-)

sbeggs | 27 giugno 2017

@Birchy,
You at least have some idea of what you will experience tonight.
We just didn't see it coming!

David N | 27 giugno 2017

Birchy, how'd things go tuesday nite?

KP in NPT | 27 giugno 2017

Birchy is in a fight with his wife. hehe

Silver2K | 27 giugno 2017

.....while doing the math!

Sleepydoc1 | 27 giugno 2017

Thanks Frank. That is one of those "fine" corrections. Heck, that means my X90D is screaming. No lines and all day long.

birchy | 29 giugno 2017

Man! I almost forgot I posted this!!

The test drive was amazing!! Even cooler than I expected. We took out a Model S 90D (no P), but still, what a cool experience! The fella that took us out had no qualms about letting me stomp the pedal once in awhile.. in fact, he was encouraging me to do it. haha.

Yeah, I'm definitely sold. I got a kick out of reading all your replies, because yes, if I had the room in our budget I think we would have bought one right then and there. But we definitely need to save up for awhile. I think it's pretty much a given that our next vehicle will be a Tesla though.. we were both blown away by the features.. autopilot probably being the coolest of them! The Tesla store our test drive was based out of was in the local shopping mall, so the vehicles were parked in the underground parkade. My wife was a bit "meh" about coming along at first, but in the end she came because she thought it would be something nice to do as a family. She was driving on the way back and the salesman asked her if she was comfortable parking it herself, or if she wanted him to do it. At first, she was going to get him to do it, but then he showed her that when she shifts into reverse, the backup camera comes up on the big screen with the parking "guide lines" and everything.. so she did it herself and parked it perfectly centered in the lines, between two other Tesla's.. one of which was their P100D they only use for events and such. Pretty cool to watch her eyes light up after seeing and doing that! haha Needless to say, after getting behind the wheel herself, we walked away with her wanting one more than I did!! Which may have been part of the master plan... muahahaha.

We talked about it the whole way home. In hindsight, I forgot to ask him to show us the 'auto summon' and 'auto park' features.. but c'est la vie. That can wait for the Model 3 test drive I suppose. We had some interesting chat about the Model Y too, because when my wife saw the Model X, she was super impressed by it. The salesman was saying that noone knows for sure yet, but they're thinking the Model Y will probably end up being a smaller SUV - so my wife was all over that when she heard it. Time will tell I guess....!!!

And thanks for the welcome everyone!!!

rxlawdude | 29 giugno 2017

Glad you're hooked. Join us Tesla addicts. :-)

Seriously, welcome to the fam.

KP in NPT | 29 giugno 2017

+1 on AP! My favorite thing about our Tesla.

Glad you had fun and not surprised at all you loved it. The model 3 will be an amazing car too - we're getting one to finally be rid of ICE. And if you really can't wait...there are always CPO cars. ;)

Silver2K | 29 giugno 2017

that damn AP has me thinking about trading my P85+ in for a P85D :(

I refuse! I will not get less than a P90D I tell ya!! (with ludicrous of course :))

Silver2K | 29 giugno 2017

We still love you @birchy! Now you know why we love the cars so much!

as the lawman said, welcome to the family!

Frank99 | 29 giugno 2017

Just relax everyone. He's not off the hook yet. Let the experience soak in for him. In a couple of days, he and his wife will realize they haven't talked about anything other than Tesla. In a couple more, they'll be looking at their 401(k)'s. I give him a week, and he'll be back crowing about his new-to-him CPO.

It's inevitable. He will be assimilated.

vp09 | 29 giugno 2017

Birchy, welcome aboard.

SamO | 30 giugno 2017

Model S: I will haunt your dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w03Iq_IpgVM

SUN 2 DRV | 30 giugno 2017

Frank: +1

I think you called it exactly right!

I stil think he and his wife need to agree on a Safe Word in case either one gets too close to the edge...

Tropopause | 30 giugno 2017

Imagine what that S will look like parked in your garage or parking stall? ;)

TM21 | 1 luglio 2017

It took us 5 test drives over a 12 month period before we couldn't resist any longer.
Go back and drive a model X. Then go back and drive a P100D.
You'll find some reason to do it unless it is going to ruin your nest egg. Nest egg comes first, don't mess with that.

Uncle Paul | 2 luglio 2017

For many, purchasing a Tesla is a life altering event.

Tesla...it drives like no other