Forums

Model 3, Excellent Motor Trend Review - Same option pricing as Model S & X

Model 3, Excellent Motor Trend Review - Same option pricing as Model S & X

Have read and seen various videos from the reveal. Assuming the information to be true. Motor Trend has a very detailed review of the car based on a drive test with great photos. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-...

Other than $9,000 for the "long range" version and apparently $1,500 for the larger wheels (no brainer at that price), the rest of the options available (not many) are priced exactly the same as the Model S or X.

$5,000 for the "premium package", seems pretty high as I assume it won't contain as much as the premium package of the Model S or X.
$5,000 for Enhanced Auto Pilot
$3,000 for Full Self Driving capability (whenever that comes)

And $1,000 for any of the paint upgrades (smaller car, shouldn't it be cheaper to paint?).

$9,000 for 310 miles sounds good. Guess it depends on how much larger the battery actually is. Despite battery costs coming way down to under $150 per kWh, Tesla is still charging $1,000 per kWh on the S & X. Pretty pricey considering the cost. Guessing the low range version is a 55? & long range around a 75? If that's the case, then they're only charging $450 per kWh, which isn't bad.

$1,500 compared to $5,500 for the Model S wheel upgrade is a bargain.

Relative to the price of the car, the others are pretty excessive. They were already excessive on the Model S. Half priced car, so they're going to make their money on AP & Premium package. All cars already have AP hardware, so it's still $8,000 to "flip the switch".

My math, assuming the articles and videos I read (all posted today after the event from people that were at the event)...

$35,000 Base model
$9,000 long range option
$1,000 any color other than black or white
$1,500 wheels
$5,000 premium package
$8,000 AP2
-----------------
$58,500
This does not include: All Wheel Drive, Performance Package. Air Suspension.
If Tesla follows the model for the premium options matching the S & X, that would be $5,000 for AWD, $20,000 Performance & $2,500 for Air Suspension, adding another $27,500 to bring the eventual price for the top Performance Model in at around $86,000. Yikes!! I guess that's still half of what a fully loaded P100D is at $175,000 +/-.

The biggest turnoff I heard is that the $5,000 premium package includes Tinted Glass on the ceiling, thus if you don't fork over $5,000, you get clear glass and basically get baked anywhere the sun rises in the East and sets in West. I imagine that could be one thing MANY will complain about and Tesla will have to change. Clear glass just isn't going to work, even if it has UV protection.

freeform1999 | 29 luglio 2017

It won't be clear glass but will be metal

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

Premium package seems much more comprehensive than the S's. Don't assume you get clear glass ceiling without it unless it's been stated explicitly.

kencarrell21 | 29 luglio 2017

There's no air suspension option and I haven't heard anything about a performance option. From the event last night, it sounds like the battery options are just standard and long range.

carlk | 29 luglio 2017

Tinted glass comes with the premium package. Otherwise it's solid roof. No one wants to bake your sorrow dumb ass.

Abrahavt | 29 luglio 2017

Even though it states everywhere that the Long Range Option is $9,000 the My Tesla Delivery Estimator shows the 310 mile range with RWD as 49,000 as opposed to 35,000 for 220 mile with RWD. What gives? That is a difference of $14,000.

akgolf | 29 luglio 2017

Here's a link to the FAQ on the Model 3 that explains the $49,000 price.

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq

KP in NPT | 29 luglio 2017

The first production cars also include the premium package, along with the bigger battery. That is why it's 49K.

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

@Abrahavt
The premium package at $5k is also tacked on.

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

@KP
Hope you're happy:)

@bighorn - it's putting me over my budget by the time I add paint, non black interior and wheels. But oh well. ;-)

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

I meant that you beat me to the enter button answering the last question:)
I saw that Franz's car spec'ed out at $59.5k, so there's no doubt that a nice one is spendy esp when dual motors and performance packages arrive, concomitant with vanishing tax credits.

Btw has anyone seen what wheels come with the premium package? I hope it's th slipstream or whatever they call them now but I haven't heard officially.

Ha!! I missed that. Sporadic inflight wifi and ADD. ;-)

Shock | 29 luglio 2017

$8k for the full self driving is a really tough pill to swallow on a so-called $35k car.

Mike83 | 29 luglio 2017

A lot cheaper than $135k for a P100D

akgolf | 29 luglio 2017

@Shock - The full self driving is an option, you don't have to swallow it.

eric.whang | 29 luglio 2017

Expensive as 5hit and the supercharging fee for the m3 is unknown still.

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

What's the saying, "You've got to pay to play?" Achieving the $35k entry point is remarkable, but people can't expect top end features on the stripper models. It's also remarkable that the hardware will be included for future activation at no additional cost. We've always known the price would probably be double for the upper end. "Sell me a spaceship, but I won't spend more than what's in my wallet." Not happening.

elephant in a bottle | 29 luglio 2017

yea, the $9k long range battery option seems super cheap.. I hope TM gets decent profit out of these.

PhillyGal | 29 luglio 2017

@KP - I should have set a budget. I didn't. I'll probably waffle every day until I click confirm.

Ross1 | 29 luglio 2017

So how does the pricing work?
Arent all the M3s including high end, set below the entry level S and X?

Bighorn | 29 luglio 2017

@Ross
I think the high end 3 will just touch or surpass the entry level S when all options are out there, low 70s.

sgnatiuk | 29 luglio 2017

A little disappointed I will have to "settle" for RWD version to get the full tax credit. I get snowly hell of winters and have always preferred AWD.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 luglio 2017

2015P90DI: I haven't really bothered to price out a Custom Model S for months. So I have no idea how accurate your $175,000 number is as its maxed out price point. But I still say that is a bargain compared to the fact there is a Porsche New Panamera that starts (yes, STARTS) at $194,800. And if the Model 3 has a maxed out price point of ~$70,000 to even as much as ~$85,000 as you suggest, that will still be a bargain compared to a fully decked out Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Cadillac ATS-V, BMW M3, Jaguar XE S, Mercedes-AMG C63 S, and its other performance trim contemporaries.

In other news...

Bighorn is always right.