60000 total
10000 refund
---------
50000 smackers

billlake2000 | 19 agosto 2017

Gahhhh.
Forgot the delivery charge.

Carl Thompson | 20 agosto 2017

Remember if you're in CA the $2,500 state rebate now is no longer available to those with higher incomes. So if you can afford a Tesla you probably make too much to get the CA rebate.

Carl

Itrnhds | 20 agosto 2017

anyone know what the max income limit is for the ca rebate?

randylee3 | 20 agosto 2017

November 1 2016 – Present
$150,000 for single filers
$204,000 for head-of-household filers
$300,000 for joint filers

Taken from website:
https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/income-eligibility

dd.micsol | 20 agosto 2017

@billlake-forgot the deposit? It's a wash.

mntlvr23 | 20 agosto 2017

@Carl - "Remember if you're in CA the $2,500 state rebate now is no longer available to those with higher incomes. So if you can afford a Tesla you probably make too much to get the CA rebate"

You are saying that a couple needs to make $300K to be able to afford a Model 3.

@mntlvr23:
"You are saying that a couple needs to make $300K to be able to afford a Model 3."

In the Bay Area and parts of SoCal a couple making less than $300k is _poor_! OK, that is a slight exaggeration but not much. You have to remember that a halfway decent house here will cost you close to a million dollars at least. And everything is more expensive too. So that leaves a lot less money for other things like cars.

But I was talking more about the individual limit of $150k.

Carl

billlake2000 | 20 agosto 2017

@dd.micsol, yay, thanks for reminding me I forked out one large.
@carl, true that, except you forgot that I get five cents for each one of them beer cans I been collecting.

Now I didn't add in FSD, because I'm on the fence. I also figgered I can live without AWD.
Somewhere in there is the fack that I really want to get my three in a hurry, so I'm going first production.

@Carl - so you are now saying that people who have $1M houses have to skimp so that they cannot afford a $35K car. Yet another opinion posted just to fill space.

rxlawdude | 20 agosto 2017

@Carl is a wealth of unsubstantiated opinion.

What he lacks in quality is made up in quantity

ebiggs | 20 agosto 2017

"so you are now saying that people who have $1M houses have to skimp so that they cannot afford a $35K car. Yet another opinion posted just to fill space."

I know for a fact that this situation is common. I live in a neighborhood where most houses are a million plus and many of my neighbors drive jalopies. Being in a million dollar house might sound like you're balling, but spread out over a 30 year mortgage, each payment takes a serious chunk of your take home.

JMobs | 20 agosto 2017

"But I was talking more about the individual limit of $150k."

A single person making a little less than $150k, but still six figures can't afford a Model 3? Someone has serious money management issues if this is the case...whew.

Thanks, @ebiggs. Those guys just have a hard time understanding things that are not in their direct experience.

@JMobs:
"A single person making a little less than $150k, but still six figures can't afford a Model 3?"

You'd e surprised. That really is reality for many people here. Think about what it would be like if your mortgage were $5k - $6k per month _after_ taxes, state income tax was also very high, sales tax as high as 10% in some counties, food and energy costs twice what they are in some other states, schools all suck so you have to send your kids to private school, etc.

I am not kidding when I say there are people in the Bay Area making $80k+ who live in their vehicles because with their expenses they can afford an apartment too. That's how it is in some parts of CA now.

Carl

That should be: "..._can't_ afford an aparment too."

rgrant | 20 agosto 2017

@carl - no wonder people are interested in whether you can sleep in a M3!

Shesmyne2 | 20 agosto 2017

Not just high mortgage in Bay Area, average rents for >$3500 for a closet.
I wouldn't pay for my place what I could sell it for.
But..lucky me.

Still Grinning ;-)

Oh and just in case people here don't believe me about people with good jobs in the Bay Area resorting to living in their cars because they can't afford to rent an apartment here ya go:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/in-pricey-bay-area-some-turn-t...

https://qz.com/524138/rent-is-so-high-in-san-francisco-that-im-a-softwar...

http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-silicon-valley-van-dwellers-re...

Carl

@Shesmyne2:
"I wouldn't pay for my place what I could sell it for."

Yeah, me too! I was "lucky" and bought at exactly the right time I guess.

Carl

@Carl - I am sure that is the case, but pointing out a sub-segment of the population living out of their cars does nothing to prove your statement "So if you can afford a Tesla you probably make too much to get the CA rebate".

I have a 26 yr old niece living in SF, making much less than $150K, sharing an apartment for $4K a month - and easily affords her BMW (which costs quite a bit more than a Model 3). Some people buying Teslas are two income families, some are young graduates living at home, others are people of various professions sharing apartments with friends. There are all types out there.

If your point is that California real estate and rent is expensive as crap - no argument here.
If your point is that a large percentage of Californian professionals live out of their cars - I don't think so.

Enough for me on this topic. Peace / Out

@mntlvr23:
"I have a 26 yr old niece living in SF, making much less than $150K, sharing an apartment for $4K a month - and easily affords her BMW (which costs quite a bit more than a Model 3)."

It sounds like your niece is spending more money on frivolous things than she should given her situation.

I too have a 22 year old niece who makes 6 figures here in the Bay Area. She too shares an apartment. But she doesn't drive at all; she just takes public transit.

Which do you think is doing a better job saving money and preparing for her future?

Carl

@Carl - you are:
off topic, anecdotal, judgmental .... so
par for the course

ebiggs | 20 agosto 2017

It should be noted that even if you make under 150k single or 300k joint, you're still probably not going to qualify. It looks like the state's funding for the program is running out and they're now prioritizing lower income applicants which is defined as 300% of the Federal Poverty Level. This means 36k if you're a household of one and 73k if you're a household of 4.

Taken from the "Important Info" window on the main page at cleanvehiclerebate.org

"As of June 30, 2017, only qualified lower-income applicants, as described here, will receive rebates. CVRP reserved $8 million for qualified lower-income applicants, thereby prioritizing payments to low- and moderate-income applicants in accordance with program requirements. All other applicants will be placed on a rebate waitlist. Qualified applicants on the rebate waitlist will receive payment if the project receives more funding from the State of California."

ST70 | 20 agosto 2017

mntlvr23- "What he lacks in quality is made up in quantity" ha! now that's funny!

JMobs | 20 agosto 2017

@Carl, I live in West Hollywood. Have lived in Boston and many other high cost areas in this country. I'm aware of the high cost of living. I also made deliberate decisions to not have children at this point in my life.

It's all about what we elect to do with the resources we have is all I'm saying. $150k is a lot of money. Divvy it up however you like...its still a lot.

lilbean | 20 agosto 2017

+1JMobs My brother made three times my salary and worked twice as long. He saved zero and I had lots of money saved.

@JMobs . @lilbean

Agreed.

Sorry, everyone, for letting @mntlvr23 draw me into a silly conversation.

Carl