Forums

Brake dust and grime on wheels, am I breaking hard/too much or its normal?

Brake dust and grime on wheels, am I breaking hard/too much or its normal?

Recently I've been seeing a lot of brake dust/grime/black soot on the wheels (spoke), so much so that I've to take it for car wash every other week. Anyone else out there seeing same issue as me? Also does EAP brake harder than lets say for example driver controller the brakes? I drive a lot with EAP enabled, is that bad for the brakes in long run?

lilbean | 2 novembre 2017

I get a lot of brake dust on my front driver’s side wheel. I’m guessing it has something to do with the direction of spokes. The passenger side doesn’t get much at all.

RealToast | 3 novembre 2017

Hmm. In EAP, the car only brakes hard if I've not adjusted my distance for speed and conditions. For instance, if the car in front abruptly halts due to a road hazard. Otherwise, I hardly brake at all. My new problem is forgetting that my ICE car does not have regen!

Redmiata98 | 3 novembre 2017

You have performance brakes on your car. One of the tradeoffs with removing asbestos from brakes was the drop-in replacement physical characteristics. Friction slows you down, this requires the shedding of particles and they must land somewhere. The replacement material is harder than the softer asbestos. This causes more dust. Unfortunately they tend to accumulate on the wheels. Fortunately, the particles are easily removed with car soap. You should notice more on the front two wheels than the rear.

Tropopause | 4 novembre 2017

Disc brakes drag a little during cruise. I believe EAP brakes harder than necessary thus engaging the hydraulic brakes more than a good driver would allow. Even if you only ever used regen to slow, the disc brakes would still emit dust. It's normal.

girishfall2010 | 4 novembre 2017

thanks all, I do believe EAP brakes harder and often than for e.g. I would, but overall I think its just getting used to it I guess over time.

MXBlack | 4 novembre 2017

@lilbean, me too; I get a lot of brake dust on my front driver's side wheel but almost none at all on the front passenger side. I wonder why this is. It is the same case with my old Lexus so I guess it's not just on a Tesla. Could it be that the weight of the driver is causing that corner of the car to brake more than the rest.

lilbean | 4 novembre 2017

@MXBlack, I think it is the direction of tilt of the spokes. I think the brake dust spins away from the wheel on the passenger side and the brake dust is driven into the rim on the driver’s side. I’m pretty sure it’s not the weight of the driver. I don’t weigh much. :)

Triggerplz | 5 novembre 2017

"When you see a lot of brake dust on just one side, it can mean that the caliper is acting up. The general term for this is “frozen caliper.” It means that the caliper is able to pinch but not let go when you stop pushing the brake pedal. The result, and the clue, of trouble is the brake dust you see on just that wheel."

EternalChampion | 5 novembre 2017

Getting rid of asbestos in our brake pads and lead in our gas and paint for that matter has made all these millennials weak. I hope they enjoy their intact neurological systems and their non-fibrotic lungs.

nickivieru1991 | 26 febbraio 2020

in fact asbestos is dangerous thing as it may cause mesothelioma...
My friend was diagnosed with mesothelioma recently due to the fact that he worked with asbestos

dangolfy777 | 26 febbraio 2020

Hey, friend. I would recommend you to get rid of that asbestos as soon as possible, because it is very dangerous. It can cause mesothelioma, which is a rare type of cancer. It is better to get rid of this thing now, until it's not too late. Otherwise, you are going to get sick, and you will need a lot of money for its treatment. One of my friends was working at a factory with asbestos got mesothelioma, and he has spent a lot of money on a good mesothelioma lawyer from https://mesotheliomalawyers.com/mesothelioma-lawyer/ . Be careful, it's a very dangerous disease.