Coincedence or Intentional - Feb 19th Date

Coincedence or Intentional - Feb 19th Date

My finalize date is the 19th. I was hoping to hear the earnings call and indeed see Tesla is on the way to financial solvency with facts and not hearsay. Finding out, unless I am incorrect, that the earnings call information will be released on the 20th made me wonder if the date of my finalization and the date of the earnings call were picked intentionally so that I would have to finalize before I hear the report. I am an optimistic cynic and want to believe, but this made me pause.

Anyone else in the same situation.

jrettinger | 13 febbraio 2013

Yes, I have the same finalization date.

gregv64 | 13 febbraio 2013

Since the finalize deadline is 4 weeks from when you're invited, there's people that will have a deadline on the 18th, the 19th, the 20th, and the 21st. Just coincidence.

louisinc | 13 febbraio 2013

Don't think Tesla is planing their earnings call around your order.

Sudre_ | 13 febbraio 2013

Yes campsalvage it's only you. They are all out to get you.

skymaster | 13 febbraio 2013

Hey, I was thinking the same thing!! My deadline is tomorrow (2-14-13) I had been patiently waiting for 2-11-13 to come to see the numbers, but now the 20th?? What gives? Will it affect my decision to finalize tomorrow? Hell no!! I can't wait to order tomorrow. I just wanted more time to get my garage ready. GO TESLA

Runar | 13 febbraio 2013

I dont think your order is that important.;-)

As greg says, there are a steady stream of people and dates.. 400/week equals 60ish a day, every day.. as a minimum. They spread 'em out so this is just a coincidence.

hfcolvin | 13 febbraio 2013

Remember - it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

July10Models | 13 febbraio 2013

Five minutes after receiving the paper work they were back in Tesla's lap. When I got the delivery call eventhough I was out of town, I accepted delivery. So glad I got my car at least a month earlier than my most optimistic date. The only people that shouldn't be driving Teslas are those that really don't have the means otherwise the decision to drive the future is a no brainer.

Docrob | 13 febbraio 2013

really? you actually believe Tesla has scheduled their earnings release on the basis of the finalisation date of one order out of 20,000 reservations? Is this a serious question or tongue in cheek?

campsalvage | 13 febbraio 2013

You guys really missed my point. It's not that I think they did it to me, I was trying to see if they did it to hundreds or thousands of people. If they did that, it would be an issue, if it's only a few people, then it's not an issue. Wow. :)
Thanks for the feedback though.
Jeff | 13 febbraio 2013

I finalized in August of 2012....

Vall | 13 febbraio 2013

So what is the issue exactly? If their numbers are good, you will go and buy the car? And if not, you will cancel? Why not just ask yourself, do I want to drive that car or not? Because even if this quarter numbers are good, and you finalize on the 21st somehow, after hearing them, who is to say their next quarter won't be really bad? Who is to say there will be more people coming after the initial 15,000 orders are filled? The company will surely go bankrupt after that. What difference does it make for you if they go bust in 1 year or in 2 years? You still end up with a car nobody can service, and nobody wants to buy from you. If you are so scared of the future, don't buy a car from a startup company. Buy a car from toyota, they will be around long after you are gone... most likely.

campsalvage | 13 febbraio 2013

Because, the world is not black and white, but shades of gray. If the company isn't where it professed to be it adds to the negative column in the decision making. There are lots of pros and cons to the model s. Issues about how efficient it really is gave me pause when previously I was sure I was going to purchase. I am hopeful they will fix the vampire power issue, but frankly the thought of losing 4 kwh's per day kills a lot of the efficiency argument when you don't drive a lot of miles every day.

Educated people try to make educated decisions no just decisions based on passion and hype. Many people on the forum are like Apple fanboys, drinking the juice no matter what. We all know what happens when you drink too much Apple juice right?

I asked a simple question. I am taking from the lack of people chiming in they had the same date I had as a sign that it is more coincidence than intentional.


Vall | 13 febbraio 2013

But is it really education if you have to know the financial results of a company to buy a product? Why not buy a product based on the product itself? Just cancel you reservation, better safe than sorry. We all know what happens when you buy products based on stock prices and guidance figures.

Vall | 13 febbraio 2013

Oh, and it's not more coincidental than intentional, it is PURELY coincidental. You can't seriously expect them to have a day, or two or three before the announcement, where they don't do their job and finalize orders, just to avoid having people feel paranoid.

DC@Tesla | 13 febbraio 2013

Yes, I think they did it intentionally (so they could project for the rest of the year, I would too). My finalize date was Feb 21. But, I finalized last week after going for two test drives (twice in two different weekends to make SURE I made the right decision!) and deciding the car is simply so unique and so amazing to drive.

Brian H | 13 febbraio 2013

Decisions not made on passion? In what universe would that be?

jat | 13 febbraio 2013

@campsalvage - actually, the more miles you do the less the vampire load matters. Also, they had sleep mode before and will have it again, so that isn't anything to worry about long-term.

Assuming you can afford it, if you are at all on the fence I think you only need consider how few people who actually have the car have anything bad to say about it, even knowing that people are more likely to bother to leave comments if they are unhappy.

djm12 | 13 febbraio 2013

Your finalize date is completely and utterly independent of the earnings call. Your finalize date is solely based on the need to maintain an efficient production line. From a financial reporting perspective, the 10-Q and 10-K will be based on the reporting period through 31 Dec 2012. These reports are the primary source of information that investors are looking for.

brasshat | 13 febbraio 2013

Generally, I think it's a reasonable factor to consider. If you're looking at EV over gas to reach payback and positive ROI, that point in time is probably 6-8 years out depending on miles driven and future gas prices (crystal ball not included for the latter).

With that in mind, I think most people with a reasonable degree of pragmatism are at least a little interested in whether a young manufacturer in untested waters of being a solely-EV player is likely to be around to stand behind, service, etc their expensive car until that payback point.

Financials of the company are a good way to gauge that probability. Personally, I believe their business plan will succeed, though I can appreciate this person's sentiment without dismissing the due diligence as fear or ignorance.

campsalvage | 13 febbraio 2013

Thanks i appreciate the last posters sentiments. Again to the poster before, i do not think my finalize date is part of the earnings call, i was trying to see if a lot of people were being asked to finalize before the call if indeed they knew the call was less than stellar ad as such could lead to a self fullfilling prophecy. Many of us who reserved in dec were told lter dates for finalizing onky to be pleasantly, maybe sceptically, surprised by the time shift. If this was due to a slew of cancelations obviously thats not as exciting and good for tesla as they really ramped up productiokn. 10,000 crs'on the road would do a lot for confidence in our purchases.

mauterin | 13 febbraio 2013

Sorry to prolong this thread, but I also had a Feb 19th finalize date. Through too much thread-reading I had worked myself up into thinking the earnings report would help nudge me one way or the other in making my final decision, but then I realized I was thinking about the car so much that it wouldn't make any difference. At this point I don't care if TM goes bust as long as I get the car. That said, I'm surprised at how quickly this is all moving from reservation to finalize.

pvenkate | 13 febbraio 2013

My deadline is 25th of Feb. I'm good :-)