Forums

Will the first version of Mercedes Elf-Driving unveiled on Jan 11, 2016 be significantly better than current AP

Will the first version of Mercedes Elf-Driving unveiled on Jan 11, 2016 be significantly better than current AP

The new Mercedes class E is expected to be unveiled on Jan 11 with the first version of Elf-Driving. I am doubtful that the first version will have the full autonomous capabilities talked in the video, or even be better than upcoming AP 7.1, but Mercedes seems to be quite aggressive on this technological front and this is good for all of us.

Scroll down to the second video on this link
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1101583_mercedes-highlights-2017-e-cl...

Tstolz | 27 dicembre 2015

Funny ... Interesting tip of the hat to Tesla at the same time.

70D-Tesla | 27 dicembre 2015

Umm.....this is a spoof.....right?
I watched the video last week and laughed out loud....especially when the guy has the elf sitting on the chair, tipping his head.

I mean, if this is not a spoof, this is a retarded campaign because it appears to mock Benz and autopilot in general. (IMO)

inconel | 27 dicembre 2015

Haha yes Mercedes has been quite creative this holiday season with also the Santa Sleigh configurator. But I think there is some truth to it, and I would not be surprised if the new generation of Distronic catches up or surpasses AP. We will know soon.

rxlawdude | 27 dicembre 2015

I doubt the Elf will sleigh Tesla's lead.

TeslaTap.com | 27 dicembre 2015

Entertaining. Here's a direct link to the video that allows full screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckw_POFnV0U

carlk | 27 dicembre 2015

Likely not. We all know how good Germans are at electronics and software. Which is not very. Yes they are setting up R&D centers in the Silicon Valley now but Tesla is still the only true Silicon Valley company run by real techies.

You see it boasts 5,000 autonomous lane changes? That's about what data Tesla collect from AP cars in the field probably in less than an hour.

inconel | 27 dicembre 2015

Do you think it might initiate lane change on its own without inputs from the driver?

carlk | 27 dicembre 2015

Do you think it might initiate lane change on its own without inputs from the driver?

Not in the production car anyway. Tesla can do that now with a simple update but current laws would not allow it.

steven | 27 dicembre 2015

I don't think Tesla can do automatic lane changes without input from the driver with the current hardware suite. It doesn't see far enough back to notice oncoming traffic to decide when to merge in the next lane.

sp_tesla | 27 dicembre 2015

"steven | DECEMBER 27, 2015 NEW
I don't think Tesla can do automatic lane changes without input from the driver with the current hardware suite. It doesn't see far enough back to notice oncoming traffic to decide when to merge in the next lane."

Due to Yoyo the designer robot, 2nd row head rest block the small depth of field viewing area of the rear glass, making the rear view mirror useless, rear camera lack Depth perception and deprive the driver from the ability to see the world in three dimensions (3D) and the distance of an object.

Side mirrors make everything look smaller & hard to see clearly available space/ distance.

Good Luck changing lanes!

carlk | 27 dicembre 2015

@steven Driver initiated lane change and computer initiated lane change require exactly the same information and mechanism. The only difference is you need to push the turn signal stalk for the former and not for the later.

P.Mac | 27 dicembre 2015

Just some engineers having fun.

jordanrichard | 28 dicembre 2015

Unless "Hal" can read your thoughts, how would the AP system know that you want to change lanes?

70D-Tesla | 28 dicembre 2015

@jordanrichard,

because you've set the speed at 70 MPH, and the car in front of you is going 60 MPH. the car gets behind it in lane, waits (or doesn't) for a second or two, and then checks blind spots....make a lane change, passes the 'slow' car, checks blind spots again, gets in front of the 'slow' car, and proceeds with the original 70 MPH plan.

that's just one obvious scenario i can think of.

Yes, I can see that, except that would only work, if the AP system was tied into the Nav system and knows that there are no upcoming exits that it needs to get off at and that moving to the left lane would be counter productive.

I really don't mean to come across as a "Debbie downer" but seemingly everyone is rushing to this utopia of autonomous driving without playing the tape to the end. There are countless scenarios and resulting judgments that we face/make everyday while driving that computers just can't do.

Here is an example that anyone with the 21 inch wheels would be able to relate to. Up head there is a deep pothole, so you maneuver around it or change lanes all together. Would the car itself know to do that. Yes, I know that if you saw the impending pothole, you would take over the controls and go around it, but there in is the problem. Since the car has been doing everything for you for say the last hour, your mind will have drifted.

The same problem exists for any scenario where the car might immediately tell you to take over, but mentally you are elsewhere and now you have to immediately access the situation and take action, if there is time.

Anyone here who has driven or drives a stick shift should be able to relate to what I am talking about. When driving a stick shift, you have to pay more attention to road/traffic conditions to know what gear to go into and when. Jump into an automatic, you don't have to think about shifting and you end up paying less attention to traffic conditions/lights.

I am obviously not against new technology, or I wouldn't own a Tesla, but people are seemingly ready/wanting to jump into the back seat of the car, read a book or take a nap while the car takes you to your destination.

Tola | 28 dicembre 2015

Just in case there are no elves around:

https://youtu.be/BWAK0J8Uhzk

70D-Tesla | 28 dicembre 2015

@Tola,

lol this to me is as serious as the Mercedes-Benz Ad!

carlk | 28 dicembre 2015

OK we see that Tesla has a serious competitor now. Who you think will deliver the first car that does not need a human driver? Tesla or the Dog?

georgehawley.fl.us | 28 dicembre 2015

Beware of Germans with a sense of humor. Definitely aimed directly at Tesla.
It is another indication that Tesla is getting the attention of the big kids on the block.
What will Elon's answer be?

A mock Mercedes commercial showing a battery-powered MB that is actually a Model X towing the MB?

George, that gave me an idea for a commercial.

Get a group of anthropologist to drive into the desert with a Model X and an empty trailer. There would be close up shots of people brushing away dirt and sand from a buried tire. Then the commercial ends with the X driving away with a MB ML on the trailer, with flat tires of course.... :-)

georgehawley.fl.us | 28 dicembre 2015

Works for me. Maybe with a skeleton dressed as an elf behind the wheel:-))

inconel | 28 dicembre 2015

Automatic potholes detection is not a particularly hard problem in the overall scheme of autonomous driving. And a car that detects a pothole via its radar or camera or by directly experiencing it can communicate the information to the other cars in the vicinity or to a central database or even to the municipality for automatic repair by a team of robots at night ... :)

I guess we need to think a bit out of the box to imagine this different future.

Red Sage ca us | 28 dicembre 2015

?!?

larmorfreq | 28 dicembre 2015

Does it follow breadcrumbs to the Keebler factory-tree?