Forums

Here's how to see if you have a VIN assigned

Here's how to see if you have a VIN assigned

If your Edit button has recently disappeared and you're wondering if you've been assigned a VIN but can't see it yet here's how to check.

1. On your car's page View page source (from Chrome: Ctrl-U)
2. A new window will open with a bunch of html code; search for 'EncodedVIN'
3. To decode the VIN copy/paste the encoded VIN to this page: https://www.base64decode.org/

I did these steps yesterday to find and decode a friend's VIN. I still have my Edit button thus don't have an EncodedVIN.

Good luck!

amceachin | 28 luglio 2018

My VIN is null, and encoded VIN is blank. Neat trick though.

MS-lover | 28 luglio 2018

works !

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

What’s the process on a Mac?

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

option + command + U

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

you should also be able to see if you have a VIN by going to your tesla account, clicking on HPWC (Add to cart), go to checkout, if will should either state "purchase as gift/no VIN assigned yet" or it will should show your VIN.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Thank you, no VIN assigned for me yet. At least I can now check 473 times a day until I get one.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Wait.... yes I do!

AZTesla | 28 luglio 2018

Thank you very much. VIN has been assigned? Other than giving this to the insurance people for quotes, what other cool things can I do with this? Is it unsafe to share the number with the community at large?

AZTesla | 28 luglio 2018

Hmm, I don't know why I inserted a question mark appeared in my second sentence. I meant, "VIN has been assigned."

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

afcop2, your instructions show I have no VIN assigned but the OP instructions show a VIN number. Any thoughts?

dgstan | 28 luglio 2018

afcop2 - I shop for the wall charger and it says "This ia a gift or VIN not yet assigned". But I do - It's right on my account page, clear as day (my car arrives Tuesday). It doesn't seem the shopping cart trick works anymore.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Good to know. So it appears I have a VIN, but haven't been contacted yet.

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

dunno, maybe Tesla hasn't updated the "shopping cart" access to the VIN..who knows. I heard of this trick (the shopping cart) on another forum.

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

mine is VIN - null :(

dgstan | 28 luglio 2018

afcop2 - Yeah, I read about it too, but I think they closed the loophole. I tried it many times last week before I got mine officially assigned.

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

dustan - good to know. I called the Tesla 800 number last week and they said I should have a VIN assigned within the next 2-3 weeks..

ebm | 28 luglio 2018

I've gone to my source page and I'm unable to find anything resembling words like "EncodedVIN" Does that mean I'm doing something wrong or I just don't have a VIN yet?

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

elm, once on the source page, I just hit control + F, then searched for "Encoded" Does that work for you?

ebm | 28 luglio 2018

@afcop2 Thanks. That worked. VIN null. The wait continues.

garibaldi | 28 luglio 2018

@autoxer7, were you bored today? :)

I don't have the field EncodedVIN on the 'profile' html source. It's also not on my 'teslaaccount' page.

Should this be on the 'profile' page?

priyathamanisetty | 28 luglio 2018

It worked :)

AZTesla | 28 luglio 2018

garibaldi: In Chrome, click "Tesla Account" in the top banner, then click "Manage", then run the search. Worked for me.

@AZTeslaGuy - yeah, I got to the page

view-source:https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RNXXXXXXXXX

Pressed CTRL+U, and there's no EncodedVin for me (not even NULL).

The only tag that starts with Encode is encodeURIComponent on my page.

Oh well. Maybe those that see it are ahead of everyone, even if you have a NULL one.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

VIN should say null. You want to be looking at EncodedVin.

jd123579 | 28 luglio 2018

Worked for me. I got a little concerned when I decoded the VIN, and the decoders seem to show that a "B" in the 8 digit is for dual motor - standard, but I ordered the performance model. After further digging I found confirmed performance Model 3 VIN pics with "B" in the 8th digit. Cool trick.

natmaster | 28 luglio 2018

EncodedVin might only be for certain selections. I don't have that anywhere on the page but I do have a "Vin":"" in my trade in variables. I think this would be the VIN on my trade-in vehicle rather than Tesla if it was filled in.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Just search Encoded and you should be able to find it.

@EVfan no EncodedVin for some of us. I did find "Vin":"" that @natmaster mentioned above.

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

It may be Encoded Vin not EncodedVin

@EVfan some of has no encoded at all on the page. Only a few references to Vin as well. See above

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

When did you reserve and order?

AZTesla | 28 luglio 2018

@garibaldi wrote:
@AZTeslaGuy - yeah, I got to the page
view-source:https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RNXXXXXXXXX
Pressed CTRL+U, and there's no EncodedVin for me (not even NULL).

OK, I suppose you haven't gotten to the VIN assignment stage yet, because the page that appears after I click "Manage" is this:
https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/product-finalize?rn=RNXXXXXXXXX

Nov 2016 reserve, June 30th configure

Non-p awd

California bay area

@azteslaguy ya I have same page as Garibaldi

Is there anyone here on the final page who didn't reserve on the first day?

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Weird. I didn’t reserve until June 30 2018, and ordered on July 4th 2018. However, mine is a RWD so that’s probably why. Located in SoCal.

Hey @AZTeslaGuy I just manually changed the page to "product-finalize" and I went to that page :)

Found this, obviously:

"Vin":null,"EncodedVin":""

So anyone that goes to "product-finalize" when you click on the button should be ahead of the others, even without VIN.

Jblack | 28 luglio 2018

Cool trick - works for me! VIN 359xx

@garibaldi I bet this is the famous 'edit button gone' - it probably switches to that page.

cnerfin | 28 luglio 2018

Mine hasn't been assigned yet either my code shows this "Vin":null,"EncodedVin":"" Thanks for the info though! (Reserved 4/1/16 configured 6/28/18 AWD - non Performance, Fremont pickup. Waiting, waiting, waiting....)

marinergreg | 28 luglio 2018

If you have a VIN assigned even a local Tesla office can look up and see it if you call and ask.

bpaul | 28 luglio 2018

Cool! Can someone tell me how I can change "FinalPaymentComplete:false" to "FinalPaymentComplete:true"? ;)

afcop2 | 28 luglio 2018

marinergreg, local office told me they don't have as much information as you can find out by calling 800 number, that's what I was told

@bpaul: just change it to true and hit CTRL+S. Don't forget to change it to performance and add EAP+FSD too!

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

What's weird is mine is showing a valid VIN (I checked it), but I was on the phone with Tesla later yesterday and they said no VIN had been assigned yet.

Pkalhan | 28 luglio 2018

not able to get it to work with my mac. am i supposed to do this on the page that has the "manage" button? is it option+command+u?

EVfan | 28 luglio 2018

Click the manage button then do option+command+u

TinyCricket | 28 luglio 2018

Hmm ... What VIN # are you guys getting? ... Maybe we all have the "same" VIN?

My last VIN # is 44438

swanson21 | 28 luglio 2018

Also, if you DON'T have a VIN yet, and you DON'T have an edit button anymore...you should still be able to edit your configuration without waiting on hold for hours and then waiting for an email link etc...just type into your browser https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/edit-design/RNxxxxxxxx and fill in your reservation number for the last part, it works!

Pkalhan | 28 luglio 2018

it worked and............i have no VIN :(

bj | 28 luglio 2018

And now this has been found Telsa will probably remove it... just like the reservation ID 2 years ago, when a numerical sequence number of your reservation position in the global queue was discovered in the HTML code and reported on Electrek - only to be shut down within 48 hours.

Pages