Forums

Game on.

Game on.

We already know Tesla is adding classic games when it releases V9. Looks it will not just stop there. In his recent tweet he's soliciting video game developer to apply positions at Tesla. ***If you’re into video game development, consider applying to Tesla. We want to make super fun games that integrate the center touch screen, phone & car irl.***
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1024758658251411456

Something pretty serious is going on if it takes Elon to recruit. The last time he did that was to recruit autonomous driving engineers few years ago.

What do you think this means?

Hands free driving is near?
Tesla is expanding into online entertainment business? Note he mentioned phone in his tweet and earlier rumors that Tesla is considering it's own music streaming service?

NoMoPetrol | 3 agosto 2018

Hopefully Tesla's "own music streaming service", once developed, will not be subjected to updates which disable its functionality the way traffic mapping was recently "upgraded" to a total disaster.

jarredcrowell | 3 agosto 2018

How exactly would one apply for a game development position, and is it only limited to applicants with college experience?

carlk | 3 agosto 2018

The tweet has "Please send examples of prior work when applying. Looking for max playability & creativity." It does sound like you have to be an experienced game developer to quality.

Sunwast1945 | 20 giugno 2019

the organization carried a Model 3 to downtown San Francisco to give The Verge a chance to evaluate Arcade and its most current title, designer Vector Unit's Beach Buggy Racing 2. It's an iOS and Android racing game (https://ucngame.com) you can play on a telephone or tablet, yet what makes it unique on a Tesla vehicle is its controller: the strict directing wheel of the Model 3.

howard | 20 giugno 2019

The waste never ends. Hemorrhaging cash and this is real. Tell me it is not!!

Elon, How about GM engineers please apply to help make adaptive cruise work better. Concentrate on making the drivability of the car better. Not turn the car into an 80k Arcade game console. This is the last thing I could ever imagine would be on my electric performance sedan.

REPEAT!! Concentrate on making the drivability of the car better.

SteveWin1 | 20 giugno 2019

More games is definitely better than no games. That said, I'd prefer they spent their time getting the phone-as-key thing to work 100% of the time, getting some of the other bugs worked out, or speeding up the timeline for FSD. If they just had some random interns working on arcade games, it wouldn't bother me, but it sounds like they're recruiting and are planning on spending a decent chunk of change on adding games to the car. I'm pretty sure having games on the main screen while parked isn't something that's going to sell more cars -- although I could be wrong. If they're planning on having us use the steering wheel for all the games, I'm probably going to pass. These tires aren't cheap and if the video Tesla released about the new driving game is any indication, the games are going to add wear and tear on the tires. It would be great if they would sell an official Tesla game controller so we could play without wearing out the tires or the little scroll wheels.

82bert | 20 giugno 2019

More GM praise from the GM plant.

Magic 8 Ball | 20 giugno 2019

@howard When do you think GM will stop wasting money to avoid a second bankruptcy?

Marketing genius is not a label I would put on you, for sure. There is no demand "problem" and people continue to buy for what it is despite naysayers, such as yourself, constantly putting up what it isn't.

lbowroom | 20 giugno 2019

"Concentrate on making the drivability of the car better."

Its the most enjoyable car I've ever driven.

SteveWin1 | 20 giugno 2019

+1 @lbowroom

Kary993 | 20 giugno 2019

My goodness the last thing Tesla needs is GM engineers.....I worked for Hughes Aircraft company back in the 80's when GM bought them....what a disaster, innovation all but stopped for some time until the old Hughes could get out from under GM's control......Maybe some manufacturing engineers from GM might help some things, but innovation is not in GM's wheelhouse.

howard | 20 giugno 2019

82bert, Praise for something that works better you bet!!

M8B, More nonsense Tesla defense/deflection.

lbowroom, Sure it is!!

I am simply asking that the adaptive cruise control be made better. I don't use it.

Is that so hard for Tesla to do? Before the Gang responds with it is "perfect" please drive a 2019 Volt back to back and then make your claims. If you are in the metro Phoenix area I am happy to loan you mine. Frankly, I am sick of it! It is a joke!!

howard | 20 giugno 2019

texxx | June 1, 2019
I don't have a horse in this race, but I did own a 2018 Volt before my Model 3, so...

I have to admit that much as I love my Model 3, Howard is right. The Volt's ACC performs more smoothly and exhibits more situational awareness - behaving more like a human driver - than TACC does today. But that's the important part - today. I firmly believe it will get better and one day will outperform the Volt's ACC.

Tronguy | 20 giugno 2019

Used to work for HP, long before HP became a computer company. Interesting thing: Very much an engineering-driven place. In particular, there was this parts lab, nominally for the construction and building of engineering prototypes, test fixtures, and random bits of this and that that one would need as one built the latest signal generator/oscilloscope/what-have-you.
Official policy: If you were building a for-yourself Fun Piece of Hardware, you got full access to all those parts bins. Long before there were cell phones, there we desk phones with antennas sticking out of them, personal high-power audio amplifiers, and more weird Ham Radio and CB stuff than one could shake a stick at.
Reason HP did this: Messing around like this made their engineers better, more capable, and more Into Electronics.
Note: The bean counters were officially off the job on this bit.
So: Places like GM actually work to reduce this kind of experimentation, unless it's official and all that. Over at Tesla: Frankly, let 'em play. We'll get better junk as a result.

howard | 20 giugno 2019

Tronguy, I can agree to a point. My longtime ME has always had free reign to use my CNC equipment to further his competitive shooting hobby even including designing and building custom compensators for a host of fellow gun club members. This is on his own time using my resources. Could not be happier for him.

Paying current engineers or apparently seeking to hire new engineers to develop games for my car is not appropriate especially when Tesla desperately needs to concentrate on completing the features that affect drivability.

When Tesla is hemorrhaging money it is a waste of resources. If Tesla was a consistently producing profits and the features on my car were performing as advertised or as good others in the market hey more power to all the fun wonderful stuff, but not till then.

Kary993 | 20 giugno 2019

If some one wants a Volt because it is effectively a smooth cruise control and operates better today than a Tesla Model 3 I think they should go buy the Volt. Just realize that when you buy the Volt, that is all you will ever get, whatever it does is all it will ever do....enough said.

@howard more false straw men from you, nobody is saying perfect. You continue with your praise of GM and fail to understand that GM products actually kill people.

lbowroom | 20 giugno 2019

"to develop games for my car is not appropriate" no one is developing games. that's like claiming I'm producing movies when I watch Netflix at home.

"concentrate on completing the features that affect drivability." Again you are referring to driveability when you are actually criticizing TACC and AP, features you don't even use.

calvin940 | 20 giugno 2019

howard, it's time you take all your brilliant ideas and go start your own EV company to show us all how it's done.

See ya.

Kary993 | 20 giugno 2019

@Howard wrote: "When Tesla is hemorrhaging money it is a waste of resources. If Tesla was a consistently producing profits and the features on my car were performing as advertised or as good others in the market hey more power to all the fun wonderful stuff, but not till then."

So how do you know EM is developing games for our cars? Have you ever thought he has something far more advanced in mind that would require experienced game developer skills to develop. I seriously doubt he posted on twitter to hire game developers just to develop games. @Howard, you fell into the trap that I am sure the FUDsters will fall into writing and speaking about how EM is losing money while he develops games......

howard | 20 giugno 2019

Kary993, I thought there were games on my car. Am I mistaken?? Not sure of your point.

howard | 20 giugno 2019

lbowroom
"to develop games for my car is not appropriate" no one is developing games. that's like claiming I'm producing movies when I watch Netflix at home.

So there is no effort whatsoever to put games on the Tesla? They just magically show up or were their resources involved in installing the game and tying it into the Telsa hardware so it can be played. In my limited dictionary that is "development" but I understand your desire to deflect with denial and semantics.

"concentrate on completing the features that affect drivability." Again you are referring to driveability when you are actually criticizing TACC and AP, features you don't even use.

These are functions that enhance the "drivability" of the vehicle are they not? What exactly are you claiming? That since I don't find them convenient or safe to use I should not consider them deficient. These are features that I purchased and are installed on the car. They do not currently work very well or as good as my other cars.

This senseless/silly continued defense of Tesla is just amazing but no longer entertaining.

When someone is at risk driving a Tesla it is due to the "beta" status. This is repeated over and over! But when someone criticizes a Tesla it is all of a sudden 'perfect" and the person who criticizes is stupid. This is repeated over and over. Wow, are Tesla owners the bomb.

@howard The senseless bashing of TESLA while ignoring the manufacturer you prefer has killed thousands of people in the inferior products they manufacture does not take any special "Tesla" talent to identify. You continue on your vendetta of trying to make mountains out of molehills when it come to TESLA but you fail to keep it in perspective relative to the many offerings of others.

I highly recommend you contact:

1 800 Kars 4Kids and offload the deathtrap you stuck yourself in.

#getnewmeds

Kary993 | 20 giugno 2019

@howard wrote: "I thought there were games on my car. Am I mistaken?? Not sure of your point."

Your antiquated thinking never ceases to amaze.....gaming has so many applications, ever heard of virtual reality? What about presenting real world views of the world around the car for example? Yes I am sure you will say work on the drivability of the car LoL Come on into this century with all of us...or sell your car and leave this forum and drive your Volt. I think you would be happier with the latter.

derotam | 20 giugno 2019

@Tronguy...haha that's funny that you say that about HP. I had a co-worker(he retired, well kind of retired), that told me the same thing when HE also worked at HP way back when.

howard | 20 giugno 2019

Kary993,

It was a simple question that you knew the context of and the answer to but thanks for playing the deflect game. You are nearing the top score, so keep trying.

Kary993 | 20 giugno 2019

@howard - ignoring, no dinosaurs here.......

Demixl | 29 luglio 2019

Is there any chances that you can put some games like this https://sites.google.com/site/allfunblockedgames/ in your plan. It is gonna be interesting to see some of them on the board while driving, at least I will enjoy it with hands free and with that screen, ugghhh I am getting happy when I imagine this thing. So can you?