Forums

My new model 3 suddenly stopped on a highway

My new model 3 suddenly stopped on a highway

The car is only 2 days old and 211 miles. This was a really scary moment. I was with my wife and 11 years old daughter when the car suddenly stopped. It was really sudden and we had no time to pull over. We were in the middle lane of the highway and all the car were passing us on both sides and the car behind we’re trying to go around us to get back in traffic. I called 911 first and then Tesla emergency roadside. We were in life treating emergency and It took Tesla 30 minutes to answer our call. By that time the police had already a tow truck on site. I am 52 and never had a car break down before. This is really scary and a big disappointment for us. We are thinking of returning the car. Did anyone had this kind of breakdown before? Any advice you can give?

vb1 | 20 ottobre 2018

Where was this at?

djgarrett21 | 21 ottobre 2018

Need more detail. When you say "suddenly stopped" did the car apply the brakes suddenly and come to a complete stop? Was autopilot engaged at the time? Did the car power down and you were stuck in the middle of traffic until the tow vehicle showed up?

wylkatz | 21 ottobre 2018

Wow...that must have been terrifying. So sorry to hear it.

That has not happened to me in 6 months and 6,000 miles, so I don't have any advice, but if I were you and I couldn't figure out what happened EXACTLY, I would give the car back.

What did Tesla do when you finally got them?

Magic 8 Ball | 21 ottobre 2018

You are fortunate to have this never happen to you before. I have had various failures in many cars over the years and have been stranded a few times. Nice you were able to get help so quick.

Fear is no way to live a life.

vb1 | 21 ottobre 2018

@Magic 8 Ball

Are you always upbeat in real life? amazing in a good way.

David N | 21 ottobre 2018

@eddyvou
Glad everyone is ok, had to be frightening.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

It took a lot of years to turn the corner. I lived the "other way" before and this is much better, for me, anyway.

I still have a big bug tho'. I now get more confrontational with those that only seem to focus on the negative.

I completely understand where the OP is coming from. The first time something "scary" happens you think of everything you can to not make it happen again.

I will go back to my early mantra on this. Over 80,000 M3's on the road that are not stopped suddenly. The error is rare and I hope they are able to focus on the statistics instead of the emotion. That being said I know of a few folks that have never put a toe in the ocean after Jaws came out.

Bighorn | 21 ottobre 2018

I have never heard of a Tesla shutting down without a warning on the screen first. Has anyone?

minervo.florida | 21 ottobre 2018

OK, I am calling BS, no time to pull over, ???

Mike83 | 21 ottobre 2018

Never heard of such a thing driving Teslas for 5 years. TEA score 95%

It looks like "stopped suddenly" needs more definition.

teslu3 | 21 ottobre 2018

Glad that you are safe. With 6600 miles on my TM3 I've had no issues, and strive to keep it that way. I monitor this forum to see what issues others encounter, how they manage them and discussion on ways to avoid them.

Did you stay in the car? Used flasher lights? A colleague of mine could not start his Honda CRV after his return flight from vacation. A jump start got him going but his car stopped in a middle lane on a major freeway in the LA area at night. No electricity, so no flashing lights. A vehicle crashed into his car killing him and his son, leaving his daughter with severe brain trauma.

If the model 3 stops in the middle of a busy highway, its status as one of the safest cars on the road may mitigate injuries (stay in the car!). Preventing the crash is much better. What lessons will be learned from your incident?

naturalangler | 21 ottobre 2018

I was at the Tesla Service Center yesterday because I have an “Airbag need service. Call Tesla Service” on my screen and while waiting for a diagnosis, a guy told me his M3 stopped on the highway and the tech said the drive unit failed and that they have 3 cars with same problem last month. I am hoping quality control is working on this issue because it makes for bad publicity if a Tesla owner get injured or killed from sudden catastrophic failure while cruising on the highway.

Mike83 | 21 ottobre 2018

AstroTurf?? List vin, place and date.

EVRider | 21 ottobre 2018

@eddyvuy: If you want legitimate advice from other owners, please provide more details about what happened. Some of us are having a hard time believing you.

eddyvuy | 21 ottobre 2018

I was on HWY 210 in Monrovia, CA when the car suddenly lost power. Autopilot was not engaged at the time. Message on the screen was “car shutting down, pull over safely”, but the car decelerated very quickly and i had no time to pull over. We call 911 and stayed safely in the car until the tow truck came and stay behind us while the police completely shut down the traffic. The police asked me to put the car in tow mode and they push it to the side of the highway, re-opened the traffic and pull the car to the flatbed towtruck. It was on a Saturday around 6pm and Tesla suggested we send the car to the service center and they will reimburse the towing and a Uber ride back home. I will keep everyone posted on the root cause once I heard from Tesla

I was on HWY 210 in Monrovia, CA when the car suddenly lost power. Autopilot was not engaged at the time. Message on the screen was “car shutting down, pull over safely”, but the car decelerated very quickly and i had no time to pull over. We call 911 and stayed safely in the car until the tow truck came and stay behind us while the police completely shut down the traffic. The police asked me to put the car in tow mode and they push it to the side of the highway, re-opened the traffic and pull the car to the flatbed towtruck. It was on a Saturday around 6pm and Tesla suggested we send the car to the service center and they will reimburse the towing and a Uber ride back home. I will keep everyone posted on the root cause once I heard from Tesla

Thanks for clarifying. We can be a sensitive bunch to a "headline" that sounds unrealistic. Your description is what most would not call a sudden stop.

BTW cool the cops knew about tow mode.

Generally the car will coast seemingly forever if you're not going up an incline or don't invoke regen or braking. I've not come across anyone who hasn't made it to the shoulder with the warning, but maybe you panicked and slowed down instead of more intentionally navigating to the side?

jordanrichard | 21 ottobre 2018

In such a situation, would quickly putting the car into Neutral mitigate the DU slowing/stopping the car?

@jordan
Neutral would allow it to coast as would holding the pedal in neutral stance. Generally, when a DU shuts down, the acceleration just becomes less responsive, it doesn't slow your roll. Model 3 is much more difficult to engage neutral than Model S though.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 21 ottobre 2018

Bighorn: The 210 FWY is rather wide in some places, so if there was a sudden loss of power while driving in the fast lane, there is a possibility that someone driving in heavy traffic might not have had time to make it to the far right shoulder. For a long time the 210 FWY was very much a 'secret' in Los Angeles, so only people who knew where they were going and had someplace to go ever took it. Traffic is far worse today than twenty years ago all over Los Angeles County. So, I can see that freeway being full of people speeding and not allowing a vehicle with hazard lights on much leeway in an emergency situation. Not so much from rudeness, as the desperation to reach your destination as quickly as possible after being stuck on connecting freeways in the area behind BLAP Society members. I've heard the 210 FWY is a wondrous place to drive unfettered on an early Christmas morning...

@ReD
No doubt there are situations like that. Having had a couple shut downs, I certainly imagine quite often at certain places how lucky I am to not have had it happen there. Mountain passes with no shoulder, tunnels, anywhere in Mexico...

21soundcc | 21 ottobre 2018

there

Cactusone | 21 ottobre 2018

Glad you and your family are safe...another reason I'm glad bought the dual motor.

@Magic 8 Ball, it was a sudden stop! The car literally went from 65 to 0 in a few seconds. I couldn't engage in neutral, the gear selector was stuck in park. Very scary situation. I do not wish this to happen to anyone.

lilbean | 21 ottobre 2018

Glad you’re ok. Very scary!

@eddyvuy No need to argue over "sudden stop". I think most agree, after your more detailed description, it was a scary situation. Even rolling to a slow stop with nowhere to pull over can be scary enough. Why was it in park?

@Magic 8 Ball, Stopping from 65 to 0 in 3s is not rolling to a slow stop! I have no idea as why it was stuck in park after the stop We need to wait for Tesla's diagnostics.

raygr16 | 21 ottobre 2018

@eddyvuy I think Magic 8 Ball, was saying that after you elaborated on "sudden stop" we're all on board that it was too fast to do anything but stop where you were and would have been quite scary. His comment about rolling to a stop was more along the lines of: "Geez it would have been scary to roll to a slow stop while going 65, much less come to a sudden stop at that speed." Anywho, interested to hear about what the cause was. Hope all goes well.

Jeez, can you get off the "stop suddenly"? I, myself, did not really question your story and others did. Why did they question your story, my guess is it was the stop suddenly comment. Just trying help you understand the pushback. I guess I failed.

Oh, and not knowing how it got into park, I guarantee, have the skeptical (including myself now) wondering what really went on.

Sounds like Tesla needs to develope a fail safe system perhaps. For example, car goes into neutral automatically if a motor/drive unit fails on a single motor vehicle, if the car is above a certain speed...

..just a thought.

Coastal Cruiser. | 21 ottobre 2018

eddyvuy, so sorry that happened to you. Thank you for posting here, and please do keep the post updated. Yes, losing power in traffic has been reported here before. You should know that except for a few folks on this forum who are intolerant to ANY bad news related to Tesla, there is no reason to doubt your story, accuse you of panicking or as somehow responsible for getting stuck like that.

In particular I would encourage you to avoid dialog with M8B. Although this member tries to come off as reasonable they are in fact one of the intolerants who will try (subtlety these days) to invalidate anyone who who has any criticism -even if constructive- regarding Tesla. In fact my new 'Delta Tau Chi' name for him is "See no Evil".

'Hear no evil' and 'Do no evil' are also harbored here, so watch out. ;>

Cactusone: +1

@eedyvuy Ignore Coastal Cruiser he will knee jerk advise you to call a lawyer.

Tuning In | 21 ottobre 2018

@Cactusone The only time the dual motors would make any difference is if the a drive motor fails and that is a rare if ever occurrence. Non of these early failures reported were drive motor related. They wer usually power components related where a dual motor would have failed anyways. Trivial fact of design in general, introduction of a second component actually doubles your chances that one of the components will fail.

NoMoPetrol | 21 ottobre 2018

A similar thing happened to my sister-in-law in the wine country of NorCal. The M3 just shut down. After calling tech support, they had her reboot the computer and the car came back on.

A week later my brother went with her on the same route. It shut down in the exact same spot. I don't know what the final resolution was, but tech support was considering the possibility that an external factor was the problem rather than something internally wrong with the car.

Read the thread carefully. I knew the "sudden stop" was going to be called out. I asked for clarification and got a couple skeptics back on board with the OP's story. This is not a subtle attempt to discount the story. I am now skeptical, I admit, but I am not discounting the story and worked to get credibility into the story.

Coastal Cruiser with this advising of others to seek lawyers, and now this, are you Insane?

NoMoPetrol | 21 ottobre 2018

My mistake. The car was parked at the same resort on both occasions. The car wouldn't start after sitting in the sun for a couple days. The problem was most likely that the computer overheated and wouldn't boot up.

Different problem, wrong spot for this conversation.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 21 ottobre 2018

Cactusone: I'm pretty sure the dafault 'fail safe' behavior of Tesla products is to switch to PARK in emergency situations. Wirh Autopilot in particular, the car will attempt to merge toward the shoulder and come to a complete stop, parked withe the hazard lights on. There are people who complain about the situatiins that bring on an automatic PARK all the time.

• They don't like wearing a seatbelt all of the time because they 'know better' than the car does 'when it is safe' to not do so and blame the 'Nanny State' for a safety interlock that won't allow the car to be placed in DRIVE or REVERSE once the seatbelt is unlatched.

• They like to CREEP into the garage with the driver's door open while dragging one foot on the ground and protest the car switching to PARK automatically when the door is opened.

• They are 'vertically challenged' and are used to standing up a bit to look over their shoulder so they can 'see better' and are amazed that without weight on the seat sensor, the car automatically switches to PARK because no ICE car they ever owned did that.

Of course, when they choose to complain about such phantom episodes and weird situations, they strategically leave out certain details, making it harder to give aid. Then they insult people who are genuinely trying to help them. Then after multiple requests for more information they either don't respond to direct queries at all, disappear entirely, or protest that they don't have to answer anyone's questions.

Sometimes, they are nice enough to come back and fill in the blank portions of their testimony in a more complete and sincere fashion. That helps a lot to warn others and typically results in good reading and a solution that can passed on to others who might experience a similar issue. I think someone called that 'community' and stuff.

More often than not, the issue is solved and 'taken care of' by Tesla. In those situations, even very incensed Customers may come out very satisfied. There are always those who refuse help, suggestions, and advice because they have decided to be as [PEEVED] as possible and have no intention of ever being satisfied.

I rebooted the computer twice but it did not fix the issue.

A two minute Power Down is usually what is recommended if it's amenable to restarting.

ReD eXiLe ms us: I understand what you are saying about the auto Park feature of Tesla's...however, I don't think it should switch to Park at freeway speeds as OP has suggested. I know it's early to assume the cause of the failure at this point..I like 0-60 in 3 seconds but not 60-0.

Tuning In: Not sure I agree I agree with your statement "Trivial fact of design in general, introduction of a second component actually doubles your chances that one of the components will fail."

I fly an Airbus 320 and it has 7 flight computers and 220 computers on board for redundancy..One of the reasons I purchased a dual motor was for the hopes that if one drive unit fails, I can still get off the freeway. .
... and I'm hoping it doesn't go into Park, after reading the first post.

Based on the comments I am reading here it appears it most likely went into Park when the stopping event was over. The mystery is the cause of the stopping event which, I doubt, had anything to do with Park. Did the OP actually suggest it went into P at speed?

A couple things
Car won't go into park if it's moving. It could after a disabling event after it's come to a stop.
Autopilot can't find a shoulder to pull onto if you ignore it. It just slows down and stops.

doctorsmile | 21 ottobre 2018

were you in Autopilot OP?

ckingriches | 21 ottobre 2018

OP already indicated Autopilot was not in use.

Tuning In | 21 ottobre 2018

@Cactusone there is redundancy. But that protects against a complete system failure. However when you have a failure rate of 10% for example, adding a second something just increased your failure rate to 20%. You have redundancy to protect from a complete failure, but you have a 20% chance that you’re going to need to fix one of them.

frisbee912 | 21 ottobre 2018

Is OP's vehicle RWD or AWD?

Pages