Forums

Tire rotation: what mileage?

Tire rotation: what mileage?

I have 11k on the odometer. It is time yet?

badaman | 6 febbraio 2019

Manual recommended every 6,200 miles.

voytres | 6 febbraio 2019

Model 3 Owner's Manual: Page 130

Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment

Tesla recommends rotating the tires every
6,250 miles (10,000 km)

f3ath | 6 febbraio 2019

Thanks!

jikuo | 8 febbraio 2019

Does this tire rotation cost anything? If so how much?

Frank99 | 8 febbraio 2019

About $60 when I had it done this week in Scottsdale AZ. Expensive (especially since the better tire stores will do it for free), but I also thought I needed an alignment (which I apparently didn't).

andy.connor.e | 8 febbraio 2019

I've heard people recommend every 5000 miles. I would trust the manual.

Pepperidge | 8 febbraio 2019

6250 miles for RWD. Cost was $50 (and Tax) at Plano TX SC, car wash, and wind washer fluid included.

vmulla | 8 febbraio 2019

@andy.connor.e,
This vehicle has the most tire wear I've seen yet. My tires lasted 26K miles, I think I can get as much as 30K with gentle driving.
Because of the quick wear, and because I want the tire tread depth to be even across all tires I'm favoring rotations at 5K miles. I'm not too particular about mileage, but I am paying attention to the difference in tread depths between front and back.

RES IPSA | 8 febbraio 2019

You should rotate your tires every 5000-7000 miles as needed. I just do it every 5k miles since it is easiest to remember.

As others have pointed out, the manual does recommend every 6250.

Costco will rotate and balance your OEM tires for $20

rpc_in_va | 8 febbraio 2019

I rotate my tires at every oil change. Uh, wait....

Mike83 | 8 febbraio 2019

Use a tire gauge. How you drive, tire type and tire inflation is key. May not need to do it so often. Why do it for no reason?

jordanrichard | 8 febbraio 2019

Mike83 +1. Before my MS, I was under the impression that one should rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. Upon dealing with Tesla, what they said made so much sense. What they do is check your tire tread depth. If the tires are wearing eveningly, there is no reason to rotate them. I once went 18,000 miles without my tires needing a rotation.

Go to you local auto parts store and buy a tire depth gauge and check your tires yourself.

thedrisin | 8 febbraio 2019

There is more to tire wear than just tread depth. Wear pattern cannot be determined by eye. The tires should be rotated and balanced regularly, 6250 miles as suggested. If they are not actually rotating the tires, they are not doing their job and not following manufacturer's recommendation. Go to another SC.

thedrisin | 8 febbraio 2019

From Michelin manual:
"To obtain maximum tread life, you must rotate your tires. You should
rotate your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 to 12,000 km) or as
specified by your vehicle manufacturer, "

Mike83 | 8 febbraio 2019

I got 25,000 miles on our Goodyear tires without rotation and they are still good. I don't care what someone suggests. best to check the tires and yes uneven wear indicates other issues like balance and alignments

beaver | 8 febbraio 2019

I have a LR RWD with stock 18 inch wheels.

I did my first rotation at 13k because I was busy earlier and drive a lot. It was fine because rear wheels were only 1mm less than front.

If you drive normally 6k is probably not necessary. You can get a tool to measure and rotate only when you need to. This is what mechanics do.

ckingriches | 18 giugno 2019

Page 137 of the online owners manual says to rotate tires every 10-12k miles or if tread depth difference is at least 2/32nd of an inch. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the 6,250 figure previously. Since I’m at 7.5k now, I’d kind of like to know which is right.

Patronus | 18 giugno 2019

The current Tesla recommendation on their website is 10-12k miles or when the tires differ in tread depth by 2/32". Seems like a solid recommendation to me.

Atoms | 18 giugno 2019

Manual has been updated to 10k to 12k miles. This seems about right from experience with this car. You should inspect yourself and make an appointment if you observe uneven wear. $85 for a Tesla mobile to come to your home or work for a rotation. Good deal I think. You can also take in.

N8778204151 | 20 giugno 2019

I did my first tire rotation at 28k miles at Tesla, 62.50 in cluding tax.

charles.a.braun | 20 giugno 2019

Getting my tires rotated in about 1 hour at my local America's Tire. Free, including tax. I still go with 6,250 for rotations because I mostly drive (about 100 miles a day) a mountain road with lots of fun twistys and I find that when I have too much fun it takes its toll on the tires.