Forums

Dedicated EV Meter

Dedicated EV Meter

I’m looking into getting a dedicated EV meter for charging at home. My electrical cables go into my house from underground. I live in California.

Does an electrician connect the new EV meter using cables from the existing EV meter or do they need separate cables that come in from beyond my house foundation?

I was going to ask an electrician today but he flaked on my appointment and never called.

I’m having my driveway extended, starting tomorrow, and concerned it will have to be taken apart to accommodate any new electrician underground cables.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ikester | 18 febbraio 2019

This is what I have, mounts right next to the EV plug. Simple to install

DAE P103-200-S KIT UL Listed kWh Smart Submeter Polaris 1000, 1 or 2 phase, 3 wire, 200A, 120/208-240v, with 2 Solid Cores CTs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017QKIAZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_B.5ACbNYWVRY4

Passion2Fly | 19 febbraio 2019

Are you considering an EV tariff requiring two meters? If so, you can’t just install any meter. The power company needs to install their own meter. You just need to install the box for the meter.

SPeditor | 19 febbraio 2019

I'm considering this from Southern California Edison:

"The Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-EV-1) requires a separate meter to measure the energy used to charge your electric vehicle at a different rate than the rest of your home."

Mu understanding is that SCE provides the meter, the electrician does the work. Unsure what type of work is involved when it comes to underground electric cables going into my home. I'm having my driveway done today and won't have a chance to meet a new electrician before they finish. Worried the driveway would need to be taken apart for the electrical work. If my electrician kept his appointment yesterday I would not be in this bind.

Just spoke with SCE. The discount rates for a dedicated meter are going away. Thus no point in adding a dedicated meter. That sucks. Thought I would save more money by going electric, charging at home.

So my cost options for charging at home are either tier plans or the time of day plan, all done with one meter for the entire home.

LarryZ | 19 febbraio 2019

We have a single meter and an "EV Plan" with PG&E (required giving them a VIN) that has significant savings after 11 pm, which is when the pool pump is scheduled, too. So you can still save money by going electric and charging at home, at least with PG&E.

hokiegir1 | 19 febbraio 2019

Somewhat related question -- for those that have some sort of "monitor" attached to their charger/outlet, have you compared the readouts to TeslaFi's usage stats for charging? For those not aware, TeslaFi includes both a "added" and "used" kwh estimate for each charge session. I'm curious to see how close these are to actual usage for someone who has a separate meter.

mcfly777 | 19 febbraio 2019

If you're getting electrical service from the street already, no need for additional cables from the street to your house. a 2nd meter can be wired in your service closet.

kevin_rf | 19 febbraio 2019

Different electric company (Sterling Municipal electric, sterling MA). For the TOU plan they required a separate meter.

When installed the electrician mounted the second meter directly above my house meter and jumpered it off the utility side. Then fed the meter into a 60amp disconnect that then feeds my wall connector. We did not have to run a second service from the road, the load calc said my 200amp service was fine.

Apparently their are some tricks involving the lugs when doing it. He was showing some guys from the utility some special double lugs you use when you do this. If you are not careful, the lines on your service might be too short and they would need to "lower the meter" to make it fit (which really is against code, but hey).

So in short, if your load calculation is fine, you do not need a second service from the road.

It’s not true that TOU rates are not advantageous. I have San Diego Gas and Electric and I’m on an EV plan with rates as low as $0.09/kWh between 12AM-6AM. That’s very a very good rate in SoCal! I’m also using a single meter so my pool pump and A/C get the same discounted rate!

hokiegir1 | 19 febbraio 2019

I agree with @Passion2Fly. We were able to shift some of our other usage to our TOU hours (run the dishwasher at 2 am, clothes dryer at 11pm, etc). We also use a schedued HVAC thermostat, where we make sure the house is as cool as we like before our peak hours start so it runs minimimally during that period, and we can use as much as we need during the night to ge thte house cooled down. In the 7 months we had our car, our electric only went up about $135 cumulatively -- and some of that was because the prior year was when we had moved in, so we had very low usage for the first 2 months while we split time at our old house.

Anyone in southern California charge at home with SCE? What are your rates? SCE told me I have two options. The tier plan gives me the following:
Tier 1 - $0.17
Tier 2 - $0.25
Tier 3 - $0.36

The Day/Night plan gives the following:
Day Summer - $0.41
Day Winter - $0.29
Night Summer - $0.27
(wasn't able to get the night winter rate, I'm at work)

Anyhow, do they seem real high to anyone? Don't know what the rates are at SuperChargers. How does it compare? I'm in the process of buying the Model 3 so this is all new to me.

@SPeditor
The information you have is wrong! You can get $0.13/kWh 9PM-12PM under the TOU-EV-1 plan. That's pretty good!
It does require a dedicated meter! Hurry up! This plan will close at the end of the month!

https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/Time-Of-Use-Residential-Rate-Plans

Passion2Fly, I was told today by SCE that the plan you listed is being phased out in two years. Thus the cost to get a dedicated meter for only two years of savings would not be worth it, unfortunately.

rxlawdude | 19 febbraio 2019

@SPeditor, TOU-D-B. That's what we use. A bit higher per-day service fee, but much lower per-kWh rates. ($.12/kWh super off peak.)

Alternative is the TOU-EV rate, but you'll need a SUBmeter that sends data to SCE to use this. It's a pilot program, and I'm not sure if it's still open for new customers.

I'd just do TOU-D-B.

So after calling SCE for the third time, to inquire about TOU-D-B, they told me I am not eligible. I will now be covered under Clean Power Alliance and Southern California Edison. I looked into this and was excited to see the lower rate. That was until I found out that SCE delivers the energy created by Clean Power Alliance. SCE adds delivery charges & surcharges that takes away the total savings I received from Clean Power Alliance. Thus I'm back with the same bill cost. I'm days away from receiving my Model 3 and can't get anyone to tell me how to get the best plan for an EV car. SCE tells me to call Clean Power Alliance (CPA), however CPA says to call SCE for plan options. I'm lost...

kevin_rf | 20 febbraio 2019

Move to a Mass. town with a municipal power company. The small towns offer excellent TOU's. For example, 1.2 cent kwh, 5.5 cent delivery, plus misc fees that bring it to roughly 10 cents a kwh.

I have found the larger companies really do not want to offer the TOU plans. Hence, why it's so difficult.