Forums

Model Y forum

Model Y forum

How long until we get a dedicated Model Y section in the forum?

EVolution | 15 marzo 2019

here we have one now

jordanrichard | 15 marzo 2019

EVolution +1

bill | 15 marzo 2019

Did they disappear? I don't see the model Y in the list of forums.

SCCRENDO | 16 marzo 2019

Bumped over spam

wwws56a | 17 marzo 2019

Considering replacing my model3 with a Y, only problem is garage space. I cannot find the y's outer dimensions anywhere. Anybody know where to find them? Can't believe Tesla Sales is not available on a Sunday. I guess I'll try tomorrow, I want to take advantage of the 3% savings before it expires.

Madatgascar | 17 marzo 2019

@wwws, Looks like no info has been released on that. If you can fit a Model X you should be safe.

wwws56a | 17 marzo 2019

Thanks Mad, The problem is that the model3 just makes it with very little room to spare. I can just get around the front and back to get to the basement entrance. I have a pad against the wall to protect the car's door when I get out and use summon to drive itself out of the garage and save having to squeeze in. I'll call Tesla in the AM.

Yodrak. | 17 marzo 2019

"How long until we get a dedicated Model Y section in the forum?"

When there actually is a Model Y to write about? The car is still a long way off, and as indicated by some of the posts in this thread Tesla hasn't provided much real information about the car, only that it will be coming 'not soon'.

sosmerc | 17 marzo 2019

Not a big deal really. But it is interesting since people are already placing orders in various configurations along with the required $2500 up front fee. I guess there are enough "specifics" for some to take the plunge. I'll wait tough until there are more details. I want to know about options such as a tow package, optional FOG, air suspension, etc.
I think there is enough interest in the Y now to have its own forum section. But again, not critical to its success.

sosmerc | 17 marzo 2019

The specifics on the "G" part of the FOG haven't been thought of yet.....so I will settle on a FOB if that is an option. :)...

jimglas | 17 marzo 2019

Are you sure FOG isnt standard?

2015P90DI | 17 marzo 2019

Elon said the Model Y is "10% larger than the Model 3". Comparing the photos, looks like it's the exact same width, just longer to fit the third row of seats. Would have to be longer to get a 3rd row in there. Also taller, so my guess is that's part of the 10%. The Model 3 is 184.8" long, I doubt they added 18 1/2 inches in length to the Model Y. Model S is only 196". Pretty certain it won't exceed that length. Model X is 198", absolutely certain it won't exceed that length. Looking at photos (Model Y overlay of the Model 3 from Tesla's order pages of both cars), my "guess" is about 6 inches longer, absolutely no more than 11 inches longer.

simon.jowett | 17 marzo 2019

I have a model 3 reservation and was going to reserve a model y but i ca t seem to get the page to load as it redirects to a general page for model x each time. Ive tried several different browsers and machines witb tbe same results. Has anyone in Australia managed to put the delosit down?

jordanrichard | 18 marzo 2019

2015P90DL, I saw a picture of a Model Y super imposed over a 3, and it didn't appear to be any longer. Just by making the roof taller and taking up about half of the trunk space of a 3, they squeezed in a third row.

bgbythsea | 18 marzo 2019

I’d really like to know how the Model Y reservations are flowing in. An announcement on the order of “first year of production nearly sold out” might stimulate sales.

lrluis | 19 marzo 2019

Still have 16 months left on my Volt lease. Just reserved the PYD ...

Im going to make an unfounded, and likely an irresponsible claim about the Y.

I think the Model Y is probably much closer that what was shared. I believe it will come in Q3 of next year.

I think Elon has learned from his mistakes and is looking to underpromise & overdeliver to change the narrative about Tesla. I also think that the sales of the base 3 will need to be offset by more sales from a product with better margins.

asunderhaus | 19 marzo 2019

Hey Everyone,

Placed my reservation! Soon to be first time Tesla owner when the MY comes out next year.

Question for M3 owners who went through the original reservation process & wait. Were there different options added over time to the M3 options before you car was created? or were the options you originally selected on your order months in advance the way your car came?

In short, I want the black turbine wheels showcased on the reveal MY & would rather wait for the option to be added so that I can select them with my initial order vs receiving my suv & then having to order & pay separately once they become available in the vehicle accessories section.

Any other tips or advice for making this 18 months not seem like 18 years? Cant wait to get behind the wheel of my very own someday.

eagle talon | 19 marzo 2019

When are they going to mention towing, and possible future Smart Air Suspension? Elon had said those were coming to the model 3 in 2019, yet the model Y builds starts after 2019. I want some model Y ground clearance data, to know if I can even make it out of my driveway, after the snow plow driver pushes a load of heavy wet snow blocking the end of my drive way. In deep snow, ground clearance is important. I learned that getting trapped in my drive way with my old Eagle Talon AWD. I got tired of swimming out of my neighbor hood through snow that was deeper than the ground clearance of my vehicle. I have a model3 that I enjoy driving with my Hakkapeliitta tires, but in deep snow, I leave it home, and I drive my Lexus RX300 with 223000 miles on it and the significant ground clearance makes all of the difference between arriving safely or ending in the ditch at night, and possibly freezing to death in a cold Minnesota winter. They might find your body in the spring thaw.

Ross1 | 19 marzo 2019

Move to Australia?

blizzyb | 20 marzo 2019

Saw this on YouTube, looks like someone was not too impressed with the model Y:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8SYHgdVdGWI

Madatgascar | 20 marzo 2019

I think Tesla will eventually put out a competent off-road utility vehicle with high ground clearance and rugged armor. I mean, if they want to explore Mars in a Tesla, and look good doing it, it has to happen.

SJMYY | 20 marzo 2019

Oh man, someone wasn't impressed with the unveiling! I better cancel my order. Thanks, blizzyb!

eyeimager1 | 20 marzo 2019

Will the power liftgate be part of the premium package?

MJP.75D | 20 marzo 2019

Anyone know the cargo capacity of the Y behind the second row seats and including the frunk? I’ve seen the 66cuft value for max cargo (rear seats folded) but the more important measurement in my case is without that 2nd row folded. Clearly, it’s significantly better that the M3 but how does it compare to the MS? Any knowledge? Thanks.

ataway1 | 20 marzo 2019

Do these MY prototypes have any grab handles? If not, hopefully by production they will be standard. We really need something to hold onto and to hang dry cleaning from, please! Is there a really good reason why Tesla does not install on any current model? It can be done!

Also curious about response to MJP.75D storage capacity question behind 2nd row, with and w/o optional 3rd row seats.

TeslaTap.com | 21 marzo 2019

@ataway1 - grab handles have been discussed for years as there are none in the S. Some hate them, others love them. In the against camp is the desire for a clean and sharp interior without lot of things hanging all about. It also makes the side airbags a bit easier to design an not have interference from things hanging down (i.e. jackets, etc.).

On the pro side is the utility of grab handles and coat hooks.

I'd say it's an almost certainty the Y will have coat hooks, since the 3 has them. As for grab handles, I suspect not.

Robocheme | 21 marzo 2019

asunderhaus, in the original reservation process for the 3, there e was a $1K reservation fee, but you didn't order when you put it down. When Tesla finally opened ordering in the fall of 2017, the only options were paint and wheels. There was just the Long Range battery and premium interior in black. In mid 2018 they started offering AWD and Performance, white interior.

As far as wheels goes, I think that you'll have the same two choices you see NOW for the 3. I.e., you'll have to pay extra for your turbine wheels.

Robocheme | 21 marzo 2019

asunderhaus, in the original reservation process for the 3, there e was a $1K reservation fee, but you didn't order when you put it down. When Tesla finally opened ordering in the fall of 2017, the only options were paint and wheels. There was just the Long Range battery and premium interior in black. In mid 2018 they started offering AWD and Performance, white interior.

As far as wheels goes, I think that you'll have the same two choices you see NOW for the 3. I.e., you'll have to pay extra for your turbine wheels.

Ziggity15 | 21 marzo 2019

I know the delivery priority/schedule was kind of a mess for the model 3s, but if I order a model Y now and someone else in my same general area orders a model y with the exact same options a year from now, will I be ahead of them in the delivery schedule? This hasn’t been clarified and if there’s no true advantage to placing my order now, why would I?

EVGuy2018 | 31 marzo 2019

Toward the end of the Model 3 ordering frenzy, Tesla clearly “threw away the waiting list” and just went for expediency rather than simply creating a spreadsheet with details,specs, customer locations and scheduling deliveries in an orderly manner. Based on this experience, if you decide to lend them $2,500 interest free with a Model Y order, I would NOT trust Tesla to respect your order position and prioritize your delivery invitation any differently. Their credibility in terms of customer and employee relations is not good!

Madatgascar | 31 marzo 2019

@Ziggity, if you order earlier AND you are a prior Tesla owner AND you live in California AND you order the top trim level, you’re likely to get yours earlier.