Forums

Rear cross traffic alert?

Rear cross traffic alert?

RCTA rear cross traffic alert , many of us have it on other cars, it seems like Tesla could add this feature through a software update using existing sensorsan cameras.
This would be imo another basic safety feature included in all cars to keep them competive with the market.

andy.connor.e | 4 novembre 2019

My take is that bad drivers buy Subarus with the intent to be saved by its safety features.

syclone | 4 novembre 2019

Unfortunately, people that have never driven a car that has RCTA, don't have a frame of reference. My 2016 Toyota Camry has an abbreviated version (no auto stop), and it's a really useful tool. Sitting between 2 hulking SUV's makes it very difficult to see what's coming from either side, be it vehicle, bicycle, or pedestrian. This forces the driver to slowly back out, mostly blind, until the street can be seen.

I'm old enough to remember when directional signals were considered a "newfangled luxury". "Real men use hand signals".

Unfortunately, Tesla's don't seem to have the sensors necessary to provide this useful warning feature.

lbowroom | 4 novembre 2019

..except for that super wide angle camera that gives you and the computer a great view as the rear of the car breaches the rear plane of the hulking SUV's, before the back of the car is in harms way...

leo33 | 4 novembre 2019

@lbowroom Very true. I noticed this the first week of use. The wide angle reverse camera is extremely useful for backing out of what would otherwise be blind parking situations.

lbowroom | 4 novembre 2019

Just a little bit of critical thinking applied to facts erases paragraphs of half baked misinformation.

RedPillSucks | 4 novembre 2019

probably needs rear facing radar to fully implement.

rodwyer11 | 13 dicembre 2019

I just purchased a X and was astonished to find no Rear Cross Traffic Alert System. I would never have guessed (or asked) a company that prides itself on being the cutting edge tech leader would ask me to return to my 1950's driving skills (creep out of space backwards and hope). Does anyone know of an aftermarket system?

Magic 8 Ball | 13 dicembre 2019

Yean, and when will the come out with a fish alert, dumbasses can't even put in a fish alert. What kind of amateur car company are they?

FISHEV | 13 dicembre 2019

" Does anyone know of an aftermarket system?"

I put this system on my Model 3 and it works great. $1,300 installed. It provides Blind Side Indicators and RCTA.

https://rydeenmobile.com/product/bss2lpb-license-plate-bar-microwave-rad...

It spots the car before Tesla's near useless screen graphic which is out of drivers line of site. Greatly improves safety and situational awareness, the guy coming up fast on left or right that you don't notice.

See, we should have been warned when there are fishes around, we are all in terrible danger. Save our souls.

gparrot | 13 dicembre 2019

Dayum, FISH, nice solution! I really ought to get one too - but it’s a little expensive for my wallet at this time of the year...

WhiteWind | 13 dicembre 2019

Dude asked about rear cross traffic alert, Fish saves the day with BS system bs hahaha Classic

"Dayum, FISH, nice solution! I really ought to get one too - but it’s a little expensive for my wallet at this time of the year..."

End of year bonus helps.

What's crazy is how simple the BSI/RCTA system is and how easily and cheaply Tesla could fix the problem but just won't do it.

To answer the question. When I back up I look in to the camera feed to see it's clear. Bam no criss cross parrot nuclear alert needed. Was it easy? I would think so.

To answer the question. When I back up I look in to the camera feed to see if it's clear. Bam no criss cross parrot nuclear alert needed. Was it easy? I would think so.

"But just won’t do it"... for now. On later models perhaps, I have high hopes. But I won’t hold my breath. In any case, it’s too late for my car.

WW, it was easy for you. Now put my wife in the driver’s seat, and it’s a whole new game.

Disclaimer!
FishEV is long time Troll that has been banned before under different nickname. Take his claims with huge grain of salt. You have been warned!
Thank you

Dgellis54 | 13 dicembre 2019

This would be a good safety feature. Also, it would seem that the lane change alert should be coupled with a chime of some sort. Since the rear view mirrors do not have warning lights. It is not natural or safe to look in the mirror, and then back at the screen to see if there is a red warning, and a sound would solve it.

"Dude asked about rear cross traffic alert, Fish saves the day with BS system bs hahaha Classic"@WWspd

"I put this system on my Model 3 and it works great. $1,300 installed. It provides Blind Side Indicators and RCTA."@FISHEV

Well there is certainly a pattern in your messages but not sure anyone would describe such wildly obvious lack of reading comprehension "classic".

lbowroom | 13 dicembre 2019

"Dayum, FISH, nice solution! "

so Gparrot, this is the first time you're reading about fishes marvelous upgrades?

How does he live without those curb feeling whiskers, one scratch on the rims and the resale value goes down.

mai_jackson | 25 gennaio 2020

One more vote for this feature. Serious safety gap in an otherwise excellent car.

teslamazing | 25 gennaio 2020

“Serious” nahh.

cntrabsn | 27 gennaio 2020

YES!!! I’m 100% in favor of Rear Cross Traffic Alert. With all the cameras and sensors this car has, it should be a simple software upgrade. How about it Elon, make the “safest car in the world” even safer.

stingray.don | 27 gennaio 2020

Not sure this should be the priority. Especially considering the car already has a wide angle rear camera that allows you to see cross traffic plus the proximity sensors.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/aaa-rear-cross-traffic-alert-systems-...

M3phan | 27 gennaio 2020

Never had it. Can’t foresee ever needing it.

Varricks | 28 gennaio 2020

Very odd. My neck came with a swivel. Seems to work okay, so far.

syclone | 28 gennaio 2020

Blind people cannot see the beauty of a sunset.

Haggy | 28 gennaio 2020

There are far too many people who see a car backed halfway out of a parking space who keep going and drive right behind them, claiming that if they get hit, it's the other guy's fault. If they get hit, it's their fault for being an idiot, and a driver looking straight back won't see them.

The feature works well in other cars, or at least ones that I've tried years ago. I'm surprised that Tesla hasn't caught up on that feature.

M3phan | 28 gennaio 2020

Equally as likely (in fact highly likely in my opinion) that Tesla doesn’t think it’s necessary at all because of the very wide angle large screen back up camera on screen.

M3phan | 28 gennaio 2020

And as Varricks says, our necks swivel.

lbowroom | 28 gennaio 2020

Just today I was preparing to back out. I looked back over my shoulder and didn’t see anything. I then looked at the camera view. Since it’s on the back of the car and a wide angle I could see there was a car approaching, why would I need an alert to do that for me?

thedrisin | 28 gennaio 2020

Have vehicles with CTA and cameras. Cross traffic alert sensor signals earlier than any wide angle camera can see the object. Period. Stop.

thedrisin | 28 gennaio 2020

Have vehicles with CTA and cameras. Cross traffic alert sensor signals earlier than any wide angle camera can see the object. Period. Stop.

stingray.don | 29 gennaio 2020
M3phan | 29 gennaio 2020

And for me, no substitute for backing into spaces so that when I leave I can pull forward and have a full view of what may be crossing.

eugene | 29 gennaio 2020

Your head is only turned in one direction at a time. Looking at the camera means your eyes are not on the road. Rear cross traffic alert sensors are very good at alerting you, by beeping, before any other method.

teslamazing | 29 gennaio 2020

eugene "Looking at the camera means your eyes are not on the road"

The hell. RCTA is for backing out of spaces, of course your eyes are not "on the road" cuz your BACKING out...
Your eyes should on the backup cam or rear view mirror.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 gennaio 2020

So many sensible, reasonable, adult responses. All that matters is that Haggy is always right.

Eugene is basically saying if the car had RCTA, then he would literally be looking straight ahead while backing out. RCTA is not a substitute for not using backup cam / rear view mirror, just an aid.

calvin940 | 29 gennaio 2020

"should be a simple software upgrade."
----------------------------
It is really shocking to see so many non-software developers are somehow software experts making stupid statements like this.

lbowroom | 29 gennaio 2020

"Have vehicles with CTA and cameras. Cross traffic alert sensor signals earlier than any wide angle camera can see the object. Period. Stop."

But you're comparing CTA to THAT vehicles cameras with it grainy 7" screen. Period. Stop.

ken | 29 gennaio 2020

Tesla needs to catch up with the rest of the luxury (and lower) market and get the rear cross traffic alert up and running. The rear view camera is a POOR substitute, but what's worse is that so many drivers (me included) have had the system for years on other cars and have gotten used to it. Not having it on my X is a significant step backwards.

Every car can’t have every damn feature. My god.

Joshan | 29 gennaio 2020

I was wondering why he bought the X if it is such a big deal to him.

TabascoGuy | 29 gennaio 2020

@teslamazing +100

I've said it before, why to I need to see where I've been?

Seriously, I really don't want Tesla to add features that add cost and contribute to bad/lazy drivers getting worse.

WhiteWind | 29 gennaio 2020

If people suck so bad that they need cross traffic alert God save us all. I guess huge video feed when backing up not enough for blind people, probably same people that can't see numbers and can't change lines without silly light in the mirrors. Just STFU please

Like honestly what are car manufacturer gives you FREE updates for the car? I rmr my old car I had to cough up like $100 just for naps update.

@ken you shoulda knew that the car didn’t have RCTA since day one boi

Naps = Maps *

Pages