Forums

Lock Car Immediately

Lock Car Immediately

Is there a way to lock the car immediately upon exit using just the phone key, e.g. pushing on the door handle or the side pillar or something? I prefer not to take out the phone and open the app.

I have "walk-away" mode enabled. But I found that I have to walk quite far away to trigger the locking - about 3-4 car lengths.

calvin940 | 28 marzo 2019

Do you feel that someone is going to attempt to get into your car within that 3 - 4 car lengths of you walking away?

Scrutmonkey | 28 marzo 2019

Nope, your best bet is to have your key card on a side in your wallet so you just need to tap the side of your wallet on the door pillar.

Granted, you'll still have to take something out of your pocket.

FremontDave | 28 marzo 2019

Actually... Yes! Or just stealing items.

It is also inconvenient. For one, I have to keep turning my head back. Also, sometimes i lose visual on the car and the beeping sounds can be drowned by background noise.

It is what it is - I just want to make sure that I am not missing something obvious.

lordmiller | 28 marzo 2019

@calvin940 That's amazing!! Where do these ridiculous questions come from? Walk away and listen to it lock. Wow!! That's tough.

@Scrutmonkey: Key card is still better than opening the app. I suppose I can spend $150 on a fob, which is actually sold out at the moment.

markr7 | 28 marzo 2019

When you exit the car, you can throw your phone about 20 feet in the direction you're going. Just make sure you have a good case...

@markr7 The manual says 30 feet ; )

@lordmiller I agree that this seems like a ridiculous question, but isn't it more ridiculous that the car does not basic feature of a keyless entry? Or a push button to close the trunk? And may I mention AM radio?

Like I said, it is what it is - I just want to make sure that I am not missing something obvious.

calvin940 | 28 marzo 2019

@FremontDave My post actually wasn't a jab. I was honestly wondering if you felt that the area you were in had a higher risk to items in your car (or the car itself). I park my car in a parking garage and first thing in the morning, there are cars constantly going up the ramps but I still hear the horn.

It took me awhile to be comfortable with the walkaway functionality, but after not having ever let me down, I began to relax. I barely notice the horn these days, but I am also comforted by the ability to see the lock status on my phone at any time as well (and to lock it on demand should it be required).

markr7 | 28 marzo 2019

I'm not at my car right now, but can't you open the driver's door, then press the lock button on the screen; Then when you close the door the car is locked?

lordmiller | 28 marzo 2019

It is a keyless entry, I for one have never once used a key card to get in. I have an iPhone app that does everything as you walk away and when I get back to my car I push the handle and it opens. YIPPEE!!

Carl Thompson | 28 marzo 2019

@FremontDave

It seems to me you have 3 options:

1. Use the app
2. Use the key card
3. Use the key fob

I suppose you could lock the car from the inside and then crawl out through the trunk. Close the trunk after you and you're on your way!

Well, maybe those first 3 options are so hard after all...

@FremontDave

It seems to me you have 3 options:

1. Use the app
2. Use the key card
3. Use the key fob

I suppose you could lock the car from the inside and then crawl out through the trunk. Close the trunk after you and you're on your way!

Well, maybe those first 3 options aren't so hard after all...

Darn. Finally bitten by the double post. My streak ends.

mcmack15 | 28 marzo 2019

FreemontDave----my wife is with you 100%. It drives her nuts that she has to stop and listen for the horn to go off. Just one of the quirks that comes with the car (that and her phone working with the car only about 50% of the time---currently she hasn't even tried using the phone for 2+ weeks now because it got so bad).

Calvin940----even 'safe' areas such as shopping malls and restaurant parking lots can have folks lurking around just waiting for an opportunity to present itself------my wife grew up in the city and she is just a little bit more aware compared to folks like myself, as to what goes on. She never leaves her purse unattended in church either.

billlake2000 | 28 marzo 2019

Carl, what about markr7's suggestion? I'm not at my car either, but could you open the door, hit lock on the screen, and then have the car remain locked when you get out and close dee doh?

rxlawdude | 28 marzo 2019

And, of course, you can look at the app to see the lock/unlock state anytime.

Kary993 | 28 marzo 2019

On the flip side when approaching the car and using the phone as the key why sometimes does the car not want to unlock unless I wake up my phone?

Rick | 28 marzo 2019

On my Samsung it shows the Tesla app on my lock screen and it you slide down on it, you can lock/unlock, open drunk etc. You still have to take the phone out of you pocket, but you don't have to wait for the app to open and connect to the car, etc. Its really convenient.

I guess my question is: why is it so hard to use the app / key card / fob on those occasions when you need to lock the car before you walk a few feet away? Is it really so hard to pick and use one of those methods? Sure I guess it would be nice if you could just touch the handle like on my Toyota but it's not like there aren't already 3 ways of doing exactly what the OP wants right now...

Rt002k | 28 marzo 2019

I barely get 10 feet away before it beeps. Sometimes it does it while I'm still standing next to the car. Now if only my wife's car would figure out how to turn itself off and lock when I walk off. #TheStuggleIsReal

PECo CT | 28 marzo 2019

@FremontDave

My wife would prefer the same thing. Our other cars have a simple button on the door handle that locks the doors when the key is detected outside the vehicle. Even better, the doors WON’T lock when the key is detected INSIDE the vehicle. I’m one of those idiots who has walked away from the Model 3 with my phone still inside the car, so relying upon the walk away lock is probably a bad idea for me.

neilhamrin | 28 marzo 2019

Fremontdave
My life got so much easier decades ago when I decided to refuse to live in fear. Yes, bad things can happen but the mental strain of fear of everything is too much and hard on human health.

tesla88919 | 28 marzo 2019

I completey agree that there should be a way to lock the car when you get out and not have to walk 20 feet away.

For those who work or grow up in inner city, you alway want to make sure people hear and see you lock the car. Walking away and waiting till you are 20 feet away can give criminals enough time to get in if they want.

My solution would be to reduce range to 6-8 feet as a setting. It makes it much easier to not have to take a key or card out of your pocket.

@tesla88919:
"I completey agree that there should be a way to lock the car when you get out and not have to walk 20 feet away."

There is! There are 3 ways as I pointed out above!

beaver | 28 marzo 2019

Buy and ICE is you don’t want to use the 3 ways Tesla gives you

Kary993 | 28 marzo 2019

Any answer about unlocking on approach I mean Ed above? Or did I miss it?

johnmann | 28 marzo 2019

You can lock the car instantly by pressing the lock icon at the top left of the screen. Just make sure to open your door first.

kcheng | 28 marzo 2019

Seems silly, but I can sympathize. I was in Strasbourg, France, in a rental car. Saw an info kiosk with map of city, in an open area with no one in sight. Pulled over, got out of car, literally 10 feet away, to look at map for my hotel. Boom, passenger side door opened, someone grabbed my overcoat and ran. I have no idea where they came from, maybe hiding behind a garbage can? Sadly, they got a chinese-made overcoat, when that had to have been a worthless item in France.

My phone case holds several cards, and one of them is my keycard. I suppose if you wanted, you could tap the phone on the B-pillar, and get the keycard to lock the door as you leave.

PECo CT | 28 marzo 2019

@johnmann

Will the car lock when you do that if you leave your phone key in it?

PECo CT | 28 marzo 2019

And yes, outraged know-it-alls, I DO keep a key card in my wallet.

terminator9 | 28 marzo 2019

I leave nothing valuable in the car. If they car does not lock, fine by me. It's not like someone can drive it away.

terminator9 | 28 marzo 2019

If someone really wanted to get it, breaking the glass takes 1 second.

@markr7 Let me try locking from the screen. Worth a shot!
@Kary993 Unlocking is about 50/50 for me. Sometimes it takes 5 seconds. Not sure whether it's the phone or the car in sleep state.
@PECo CT The manual says the car won't lock when the phone key is inside.
@terminator9 Aside: There are tons of break-ins via those small windows at the back. Apparently, replacement windows are in back-order.

Thanks for all your comments, confirming that there is no silver bullet. I have an Apple Watch so I guess I have a forth option.

-TheJohn- | 28 marzo 2019

It is indeed a classic case of defense/offense and how far are you willing to go. If folks reaaaaalllly want in, they'll get in. House. Car. Business. All the same. You're aiming at the perfect medium of hard to do with likelihood of getting caught and the derivative of the getting caught equation. Always fun.
I can totally see situations where someone might take advantage of their 10 second window from me walking away and it locking and yet I think worrying about it is worthless. Heck, they can just beat me up if they're that desperate alas.

EVRider | 29 marzo 2019

My car locks even when I’m right next to it. It think the auto lock works on time rather than distance, at least that has been my experience.

Pepperidge | 29 marzo 2019
Marzipan | 29 marzo 2019

you can also do it from your watch (if you have an apple watch) or through Siri shortcuts (even via voice) if you trust any third party apps like https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/commands-for-tesla/id1445054572?mt=8 (pretty sure there are more like that)

Anyway, yes it felt wrong in the beginning not to have a physical button to touch to lock, but hey, I am really now enjoying the convenience of just walking away and listening for the audible confirmation that it locked.

Kary993 | 29 marzo 2019

Thanks @FreemontDave, thought I was doing something wrong.....

lbowroom | 29 marzo 2019

Walk away, listen for beep, twirl 3 times, tap toes on ground, say 3 hail Marys. Set phone on ground, walk back to car, verify door doesn't open 3 times. Walk back, make sure phone wasn't stolen. Go to washroom, wash hands 3 times, knock 3 times on desk.

Or, turn horn alert off. Walk away and don't think about it again......

lordmiller | 29 marzo 2019

@Kary993 What the hell kinds of phones are you using, Blackberry? Had my car for 2 months and never once didn't open, and walk away lock is perfect. What more could you need, time to get an iPhone. What a silly thread!

lbowroom | 29 marzo 2019

Lordmiller, carrying your phone in your front pocket yields near perfect results. However, carrying elsewhere , like in a purse, does affect performance unlocking, but not the walk away lock. Some people don't realize that walk away lock is profile dependent, meaning you need to make sure the box is checked in each profile.

Kary993 | 29 marzo 2019

@lordmiller - iPhone Xs, so my question has nothing to do with locking. It's about unlocking.

So sometimes in order to get the car to unlock I just need to wake the phone up, then the car unlocks immediately. Other times it is fine.

And, this thread is not silly except fo those that don't wish to contribute anything useful.....

lbowroom | 29 marzo 2019

Kary993, I am trying to be helpful. experiment if you can with phone in front pocket vs handbag or back pocket. If you're still having issues, service can help. My friend was having this issue on drivers side, they asked him for a time stamp of when it wasn't working, they did something remotely(don't know what) but it fixed it.

Kary993 | 29 marzo 2019

thanks @lbowroom, I have it in for service today for delivery fixes needed, and mentioned this to them and they said they would "do something about it" . Not sure what that might be.

In general I really don't care if it doesn't unlock every time. My phone is in a phone case/wallet set up and generally I have it in my hand anyway. Just wondered if others had the same issue.

gcklo | 29 marzo 2019

Get the key fob

Kary993 | 29 marzo 2019

@gcklo - I really don't want to carry a key fob....even if the phone has to wake up to unlock. I really love just carrying my phone or key card in other situations.

Carl Thompson | 29 marzo 2019

Here's my synopsis of this thread:

I want a way to lock the doors immediately when I get out of the car. But:

- I don't want to use the app so that doesn't count
- I don't want to use the key card so that doesn't count
- I don't want to use the key fob so that doesn't count
- I don't want to hit the lock button on the screen before I get out so that doesn't count

I can't believe there isn't a way to lock the car immediately when I get out of the car!

mcmack15 | 29 marzo 2019

lbowroom, can your friend find out what they did because there are many threads on this very same issue. In our case it seems the car doesn't wake up to receive the phone. It is so bad, that for the last 2+ weeks my wife hasn't even tried the phone--she just gave up on it.

lordmiller, it sounds like you have had the car for only two months-----just a FYI, this problem is well known and has been going on for at least the 5 months my wife has had her 3 -----per the posts I have been reading on this Forum.

RedPillSucks | 29 marzo 2019

To be honest Carl, OP is willing to try the key fob, but its sold out.
I had the same issues and was able to snatch a key fob when they briefly went back on sale.
Depending on where I'm parking my car, I'll either listen for the horn, or I'll use the key fob to lock the car like I did on my previous car

lbowroom | 29 marzo 2019

mcmack, did you try the things I listed? keep the phone in front pocket and make sure the profile has walk away lock enabled?

Pages