Forums

How to get dash cam videos if its been more than 1 hour!!

How to get dash cam videos if its been more than 1 hour!!

Somebody asked about this a few months ago and I didn't bother actually getting involved in finding the answer, but I recently spent a weekend at a hotel in Orlando and allowed valet to take my car for the first (and LAST) time and it came back with really bad curb rash and a chunk of the sidewall of the tire missing. They said they'd do an investigation by looking at their cameras and get back to me.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the damage until I got home (an hour and a half drive), so the dashcam had overwritten everything. I figured there was a pretty good chance that the SD card might still have some remnants of the old videos, so I did a quick google and found a utility called "PhotoRec" that's made for linux that pulls old videos and pictures from SD cars and thumbdrives. It been running on my system for about 45 minutes so far and its found 1943 deleted videos and shows very clearly that they parked my car next to a blue curb and there is blue paint scratched into my rims, so its already really helped my case and I'm hoping I'll be able to get the video of when the damage actually took place once its finished and I've had time to go through all those videos.

There are probably other utilities that can do the same thing if you normally use Windows or whatever Apple is calling their OS these days. You could also just create a bootable USB drive or DVD with linux mint on it (works very much like Windows) and recover your files and then boot back into your usual OS after you've finished.

raffidesigns | 31 marzo 2019

This is actually a very helpful tip. Thank you Steve. I hope Tesla removed the 1 hour Dash-Cam limitation.

SteveWin1 | 31 marzo 2019

I hope so too. If you have a big enough memory card, why not keep recording until its full. Anyway, I was able to find the video of the guy slapping the key card against the B-pillar pretty hard while mouthing "OPEN...OPEN" and laughing with one of his buddies and then getting in and the side camera shows him hitting the curb and then getting out and laughing and shrugging at his friend before putting another car in that spot (also hitting the curb with that car) and then driving my car to me. >:(

leo33 | 31 marzo 2019

@stevewin This is great information. I'm glad you found the incident and hope that the recovered video helps.

Carl Thompson | 31 marzo 2019

@SteveWin1:
"Anyway, I was able to find the video of the guy slapping the key card against the B-pillar pretty hard while mouthing "OPEN...OPEN" and laughing with one of his buddies and then getting in and the side camera shows him hitting the curb and then getting out and laughing and shrugging at his friend before putting another car in that spot (also hitting the curb with that car) and then driving my car to me. >:("

Wow. That would piss me off.

Teslanene | 1 aprile 2019

That sucks, but did you tip valet big? I’m hesitant to stay at hotels with valets for same reason, but last week had no choice. I tip them nice and they charge my car and kept it front most of the time.

mknewman | 1 aprile 2019

I never ever let any valet drive my car. I hate taking it to the dealer for service knowing they drive it.

SteveWin1 | 1 aprile 2019

@Teslanene, I gave the guy $10 when I dropped the car off. That's pretty decent, right? I think I gave $5 when I picked the car up, but by then the damage had already happened.

@nknewman, Yeah, this was my first and last time allowing a valet to take my car. These freaking kids have no respect for other people's property. Thanks to the video, they've admitted that they're at fault and are going to replace both wheels and tires. Here's the video if anyone's interested. I probably could have edited it a little better. Definitely very happy that Tesla has the dash cam feature.

youtu.be/uucT_sD60qg

After watching the guy get in the car and drive forward, you might want to just jump forward to about the 1:00 point in the video. I should have edited that out, but I was mainly concerned with getting a video to the valet company so they could start the ball rolling on getting the car fixed.

Pepperidge | 1 aprile 2019

Tesla should keep all video while in Valet mode, and displays warning on the screen.

@pepperidge, that's actually a really good idea. Its clear this guy had no clue he was being recorded. If there was a message on the screen warning them that they are being recorded, I think he probably would have been more cautious. You should tweet your idea to Elon. I guess you could just turn on Sentry Mode, but you'd have to turn it back on again every time they move your car, which isn't really feasible. Turning on the interior camera while in Valet mode would be nice also!

kevin_rf | 1 aprile 2019

I think displaying a message that you are recording the valet is a bit passive aggressive... I don't see it leading to good outcomes.

passive aggressive? In what way?

TE51A | 2 aprile 2019

I support that, recording valet drivers to protect your precious is the LEAST you can so. Those people after all are commonly paid little, and their education background is little, making them pretty dangerous, imagine what they'd do if given the chance to speed up on a Tesla?

roger.klurfeld | 2 aprile 2019

There are both windows 32 and windows 64 versions on PhotoRec's web site.

lucysiqingliu | 19 giugno 2019

I wonder what would have happened if the valet guy just stole your USB drive after he caused the damage. Then you would have had no proof. It'd be nice if somehow these videos could be saved to the cloud. I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription for that.

Los Angeles | 20 giugno 2019

I would also let the hotel know your going to put up a YELP review. ITs a nasty threat but it might get them to pay more attention.

jonabramson | 20 giugno 2019

There is a Photorec for Windows as well. https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec