Forums

Ridiculous problems, disappointing experience

Ridiculous problems, disappointing experience

I took delivery of my second Model S in December 2018, after a series of snafus as a result of terrible hand-offs between people within the sales and delivery organizations.

The windows were so poorly adjusted that wind noise was deafening, a number of functions simply didn't work as promised and the response from Tesla was slow and confused. The window issue was addressed after two tries and many of the other issues were fixed with an upgrade to the software or firmware (I'm not clear which).

From day one, the back up camera has operated intermittently, the rear view mirror does not tilt down when backing up (despite the setting calling for it to). Tesla seems vexed in getting what would seem to be relatively simple issues addressed. Recently after several software updates the car takes a ridiculous amount of time for the systems to start up (must be Microsoft software).

This is my second Tesla Model S and I absolutely loved my first. I have driven top line model Mercedes products most of the last 35 years and replaced a Porsche Panamera with my first Model S. I was a strong advocate for Tesla, telling my friends and anyone who asked it was the best car I ever owned. I'm sad to report I now steer people away from Tesla. Their build quality, technology glitches and terrible service delivery structure (from the initial purchase on) makes me regret my decision to replace my first Model S with the current one. This experience is not what one expects in a $100k+ vehicle.

I still love the design and premise of the product, but the execution sucks. I get it that scaling is incredibly difficult, but perhaps Elon needs to give a little more attention to building a quality product and loyal customer base and a little less attention to his celebrity. I am confident I have cost him at least several new customers with my responses to questions by potential customers. I'm probably not unique in that regard.

Bighorn | 5 aprile 2019

Congratulations on your outsized influence on society.

Jillith | 5 aprile 2019

I took delivery of my second Model S last September. I LOVE it! It's interesting experiencing the improvements and I love the technology. My first S was a 2014 and had no self driving capability.

In the past I have been frustrated with Tesla's service, but I have always thought of Tesla as an investment in the future and not just another car purchase.

ckcland2 | 5 aprile 2019

I just had an Awesome experience with Devon, PA SvC! Kudo's to them!

mizunosan | 5 aprile 2019

My Model S100D is a Sept 2018 delivery and so far have not had any problems with it. The many BMWs that I have owned have ALWAYS had one problem or another and thus was leasing the last 3 that I owned as they tended to fall apart or needed new features added for the next model year. My Model S has improved since I've taken delivery of it 6-7 months ago via the updates, which is something I couldn't say about any of my BMWs -- and I've been a huge BMW driver and fan until they've turned the Ultimate Driving Machine into a soft car that's been prone to problems.
Our Model 3 has also been an exceptional vehicle, so I guess it's possible that we got lucky and got 2 GREAT vehicles from Tesla.

Bighorn | 5 aprile 2019

The overwhelming consensus is that quality has improved steadily year over year.

Jcastillo18 | 5 aprile 2019

My delivery in San Antonio was great . Some minor issues granted but not worth a rant. Sorry Victor G that you had a bad experience but don’t judge a whole company on that. Hopefully your car issues are fixed .

akikiki | 5 aprile 2019

VictorJ, Dec 2018 was a chaotic delivery time for Tesla. Tesla was trying to help customers by delivering the cars in time before the tax credit decreased. Yes, even at the expense of some cars needing adjustments that can be accomplished in 2019 after the tax credit dropped. Too bad that you can't see the forest for the trees. You sound like one of those that would complain if your car delivery was delayed and your tax credit cut while they made sure it was as perfect as your first one.

Considering it was an exceptionally busy time for Tesla, and you experienced only one bad experience with your delivery, there's no pattern of poor service that earns Tesla the nasty attitude you seem to pride yourself in for passing along about the products. Shame on you. Bad VictorJ. Bad bad.

MilesMD88 | 5 aprile 2019

My rear view mirror doesn’t tilt down either. My side mirrors do tilt down in reverse. Maybe mine’s been broken all along...

SO | 5 aprile 2019

Bummer. I love my Model S and so far have had great service. Had my car for over two years now.

NKYTA | 5 aprile 2019

There is no tilt to the main rear view mirror.

The side ones can be set in your profile. RTFM maybe?

Bighorn | 5 aprile 2019

Bad Russian bot translation

ST70 | 5 aprile 2019

@VictorJ- WTF? Why didn't you just keep your favorite first Tesla? Not buying this....

pgkevet | 6 aprile 2019

Not a problem. Soon you'll be able to buy chinese made Tesla that pass quality control. It's the ones that fail and end up on Ebay or Banggod as clones that you'll have to avoid; probably rebadged as Tezla...

Silver2K | 6 aprile 2019

"I am confident I have cost him at least several new customers with my responses to questions by potential customers. I'm probably not unique in that regard."

I tell people the hell i went through with my last model s and they still bought their Teslas because i actually bought a second.

You haven't cost Tesla anything

thranx | 6 aprile 2019

"Vengance is mine sayeth the...."

Not you.

sentabo | 7 aprile 2019

Yes, I’m sure Tesla is in danger of going belly-up now that they no longer have your backing.

jvs11560 | 7 aprile 2019

For anyone who really cares about how Tesla is performing, Google "BBB Tesla Complaints". No other car company comes close to the amount of Complaints that Tesla has. Tesla doesn't seem to care about refunding people their money, or addressing customer issues. Why deos it take up to 6 months to get a refund? To do some due diligence, I also googled other car complanies BBB complaints. Toyota and Volkswagon had a fraction of the number of complaints. Look, I know you can't please everyone, but when Tesla has 4X as many complaints as best selling car company in the world, how can people here defend that behaviour? To me, the defenders are enabling the bad service. Someone needs to hoid this company accountable. Wasn't it a few years ago, that Musk proclaimed the Body shop issue was solved. Yet, there are so many that still wait three months, or longer, for simple parts.

In my opinion, if Tesla doesn't get their act to gether, they will go belly up. BTW, Porsche only had 40 total complaints. TrustPilot and Consumer Complaints are also off the charts. To me, someone usually doesn't trake the time to complain, unless things are really wrong. Buyer BEWARE!

Bighorn | 7 aprile 2019

Consistently ridiculous, for those not familiar with our resident troll.
https://www.dealnews.com/features/What-Happens-When-You-Submit-a-Complai...

Mathew98 | 7 aprile 2019

@JV - You have been bashing Tesla for years now. Do you even have a reservation? Why are you still spewing hearsay and third hands stories. What is YOUR experience? Why are you still in bashing mode after all these years? We're you fired by the UAW?

rxlawdude | 7 aprile 2019

@jvs, are you an owner, or just a short spreading FUD?

I guess the 90+% of owners that buy another Tesla are demented fanbois.

jvs11560 | 7 aprile 2019

@Bighorn -
Go To TrustPilot Reviews and Consumer Reports Complaints, and see how their verfied owners view Tesla. This is not one off. You are one of the Biggest Fanbois here. When you blindly defend the actions of this company, and those actions are indefensible, you sir are doing Tesla a disservice.

@Mathew98 -

Wher am I wrong? Did you look up the places that I wrote about? Are the verfied users all just short sellers making this up? Seriously? Look at the real data. If you google Consumer Complaints Tesla, you'll see all the VERIFIED owners and their real issues. Tesla used to give outstanding service. Now, someone that has his AC malfunctioning, can't get an appointment for a month. Folks like yourself, dosn't call this a real issue. How would you like to drive in the rain and you can't get the fog off the windshield??? I'd say that is a real issue that needs to be addressed, esopecially on a $130K car. Foir your information, I am a Commercial Pilot that grew up around cars. I have a Business that services many airlines. I am not a fan of Musk and the way he treats people. I believe this stock is propped up by his BS!

@rxlawdude -
I took a test ride and was ready to lease. What turned me off was the advisor told me that all Superchagers were going to be solar powered. When I did a little research, and found that to be BS, I had reservations about a company that would embellish such a thing. Aftef being hurt finacially, in 2008, I am here to communicate my feelings about this company. I might be wrong,m but what if I'm right?

jvs11560 | 7 aprile 2019

sorry for typos...I wrote quckly

Bighorn | 7 aprile 2019

Not a fanboi--just a realist. What action did I defend other than to point out a bogus reference point? It took me two days to set up a brake job two weeks ago while I was traveling on the east coast. No long wait at several service centers I queried on my app. I wonder how Boeing is doing with their consumer complaints--oh right, most of the complainants are dead. Enjoy your peace of mind flying the 737 Max when it comes off no-fly. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Bighorn | 7 aprile 2019

And I have to pre-suppose a ninth grade level of science knowledge to explain that solar offsets necessarily occur remotely. Google Gigafactory 2 or GF 1 roof if you think solar was a fictional spin. Perhaps the minimum wage "advisor" had a similar level of understanding.

GHammer | 7 aprile 2019

"Google "BBB Tesla Complaints". No other car company comes close to the amount of Complaints that Tesla has"

Not comparable because of the way Tesla is structured. Take into account all of the complaints against the individual dealerships of the other car companies and you might have something.

Mathew98 | 7 aprile 2019

Still no personal account of anything nefarious to speak of. I heard from a friend of a troll that @JV is a quck. Strike that, it was something that he just wrote himself. Yeah, that was exactly how he typed it.

Hammonddave | 7 aprile 2019

I took delivery of my new Model S in July of 2018. Up until then I was an owner of BMW's for 20+ years. I loved my Beemers, but I was ready to support Elon and his innovative visions. Yes, there were a few problems with my Model S, but all of them have been addressed with excellent SC work and software updates. Upon delivery there was a small paint gash in the front air dam. They replaced the entire air dam within a week. There was a recurring suspension rattle that they have seemed to solve with the replacement of some front suspension parts.

The car is stunning in function and appearance. And with yesterday's update, my car is basically autonomous on the highways. I drove from Hollywood Hills to Long Beach without turning the steering wheel or apply the accelerator or brakes. Pretty impressive achievement.

Also, the fact that Teslas are now seen everywhere is a tribute to Elon and the company's adjustment of becoming a major player in the horribly corrupt auto industry. (read "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors... unfortunately little has changed since then).

So I am sorry you had issues upon delivery. It is my experience that the SC will take care of you. Just be patient. This is not Mercedes Benz or BMW which has been around forever. This is a new company doing some pretty cool things. Let's support innovation.

Hammonddave | 7 aprile 2019

I took delivery of my new Model S in July of 2018. Up until then I was an owner of BMW's for 20+ years. I loved my Beemers, but I was ready to support Elon and his innovative visions. Yes, there were a few problems with my Model S, but all of them have been addressed with excellent SC work and software updates. Upon delivery there was a small paint gash in the front air dam. They replaced the entire air dam within a week. There was a recurring suspension rattle that they have seemed to solve with the replacement of some front suspension parts.

The car is stunning in function and appearance. And with yesterday's update, my car is basically autonomous on the highways. I drove from Hollywood Hills to Long Beach without turning the steering wheel or apply the accelerator or brakes. Pretty impressive achievement.

Also, the fact that Teslas are now seen everywhere is a tribute to Elon and the company's adjustment of becoming a major player in the horribly corrupt auto industry. (read "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors... unfortunately little has changed since then).

So I am sorry you had issues upon delivery. It is my experience that the SC will take care of you. Just be patient. This is not Mercedes Benz or BMW which has been around forever. This is a new company doing some pretty cool things. Let's support innovation.

info | 7 aprile 2019

Hammonddave is 100% correct.

rxlawdude | 7 aprile 2019

@jvs, so you are here because you felt slighted and then couldn't afford a Tesla

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you have zero credibility. Maybe the Chevy Spark forum is more your speed.

bill | 7 aprile 2019

I have had two Tesla's a 2014 S85 and my present 2017 S100. I have been to the service center just one time for a stuck window. Two cars = one trip.
It's unfortunate that all the people like me don't come out and say they have had similar experiences. Oh well----It is what it is!

bryan.hopkins | 7 aprile 2019

I'll add some positivity to this thread. Had my previously owned 2015 S 85D serviced for its 25,000 mile service. SC picked up the car (I'm in MI) left me a P100D loaner. Less than a week later, my car was back. Noticed upon return that the right rear rocker panel (small piece of plastic down low by the tire) was cracked. Service Center ordered the replacement part. Less than 3 weeks later, received a call from the Service Center setting up a Ranger appointment for me to replace the part along with the airbag recall. Very satisfied here and loving the service from the Cleaveland SC!

Silver2K | 7 aprile 2019

Damn JV, you're still around? I would have thought by now you would have found something better to do instead of bashing Tesla.

BBB has 0 credibility. They won't even post complaints if you pay them enough yearly. I was solicited and was told a guaranteed an A+ rating if paid them nearly $600 a year. The woman was angry that i refused. I laughed and hung up :)

jvs11560 | 7 aprile 2019

OK children, when you can't argue against the facts, then you stoop to personal insults. For the record, I can afford to buy any Tesla with cash. I choose not to because of my experience, friends that have them, and THE BS that comes out of your cult leaders mouth. I didn't hear a whisper about all the suprchargers running on solar. Know why? Because it's a BS example of how the sheep keep following the leader of the flock. Never any challange, just excuses. I have an 2018 Escalade ESV, a 2016 BMW X6 M and my daily driver is a 2016 Chevrolet Suburban with 102,000 miles. I do not know that name of any service advisor, because these vehicles are very reliabale. Anyone that can't see that this ship (TESLA) is headed right for the iceberg, is blind!

NKYTA | 7 aprile 2019

Give it up dude. Go play someplace else.

Silver2K | 7 aprile 2019

At least now we know why you can't afford a Model S, you spent all your money on crap.

Mathew98 | 7 aprile 2019

Dude didn't have enough gas money so he plays big short over here. Try to siphon some electrons at your Supercharger. Oh wait, it won't do crap for you gas guzzlers!

mikeTeslagoal | 7 aprile 2019

Hammonddave - I remember you posting around the same time I was about to purchase my MS - July 7th was the day of delivery, and wonder how your back up camera performs? I have had a few problems with the metal trim, one of the inner pilars, and some alerts about the EAP stuff. However, I am annoyed that the back up camera will not work reliably. It is often a white screen, and requires a reboot several times a day. The SC folks, apologize, state it is a known problem and will be fixed with an update...well several updates since August, and no go. The problem lives on - curious what is your experience. For some reason this glitch really annoys me as it has been something I find very useful in my daily drives. Does seem like a software issue, maybe some incompatibility with something in my specific car MFR in March 2018. None of my Tesla friends share this experience. I have read others...but find that Tesla help and SC are very dismissive of my experience, as if driving around for 9 months with a glitchy camera is ok for a 110K car. If you see me in SD or LB, don't drive behind me while backing up....could be an issue ; - )

jvs11560 | 7 aprile 2019

Still no answer about solar panels powering the Superchargers....

nothotpocket | 7 aprile 2019

@jvs11560 It's a bit difficult to understand why you chose to spend time posting on the Tesla forums if you don't like Teslas. But I'm willing to stipulate that you and others have had an unpleasant experience with this vehicle manufacturer. It happens, and that sucks. Since you dodged a bullet and didn't buy a Tesla, maybe it's time to move on?

ST70 | 7 aprile 2019

@jvs11560- you get Dumb@ss! of the month...and it's early...so I'm guessing nobody will beat you!

Silver2K | 7 aprile 2019

jvs11560 | April 7, 2019
Still no answer about solar panels powering the Superchargers....
-----------

Have you questioned Google as to why Google glass is not successful? Have you questioned Microsoft as to why Kinect is no longer shipping with the Xbox?

Are you so naive that you think all ideas are successful or even come to fruition?

reed_lewis | 8 aprile 2019

@jvs11560 said: "I took a test ride and was ready to lease. What turned me off was the advisor told me that all Superchagers were going to be solar powered. "

...I always love when people like @jvs11560 take something that a single person who works for the company says and extends it to complete company policy. The person who said that the super chargers would be powered by solar was repeating something that Elon had said, but the truth is that it does not mean completely by solar.

Tesla is using solar at some locations to lessen the grid load, but I seriously doubt that all super chargers would be 100% solar ever. And why would this make a difference in the choice of a car? If that is your decision making point, then you need to figure out what is important to you. Furthermore Tesla has solar at other locations that offset the amount of power used by super chargers.

Mathew98 | 8 aprile 2019

Yeah, it really pissed off the basher that not all superchargers were powered by solar energy. So he ended up driving 3 of the worst gas guzzlers in history.

Either @jvs is the biggest imbecile on this side of Pacific Ocean or he is a bitter short spreading FUD as always. It's not hard to see thru his thin veil of deception.

Bighorn | 8 aprile 2019

I guess he missed my post about how solar works and how someone without a ninth grade grasp would never understand.

It is a case of a fascinating lack of self awareness that makes this an irresistible troll. Who else after five years still revisits us beating the same psychotic drum?

Jcastillo18 | 8 aprile 2019

@jvs yes some few supercharger are solar powered. Site mainly depends where you are located. I live in Texas and some of our power comes from wind energy, not thy much but some . Solar power to have enough juice to power a super charger is hard need more square footage but he some charger have a power wall that helps but to answer your question there is not enough solar power yet to fully function a supercharger unless you miss understood and they said some of the power or in the future solar power will help.

jordanrichard | 8 aprile 2019

jvs, if Tesla was so bad, then why do they continue to be ranked as having the highest owner satisfaction in Consumer Reports survey? Year after year Tesla ranked highest amongst all brands. That is what it all comes down to and that is would one buy another product from that company. Sure Tesla may not rank well in their "reliability" rankings, but again that doesn't matter because obviously those "reliability" issues are not significant enough to sway people from buying another Tesla.

Lei | 8 aprile 2019

I just took delivery of my 2019 Model S two weeks ago in Las Vegas - that experience was just 'meh, but what has me seething is that I got the power steering failure as well as the driver assist failure signs at 1,785 miles...and I was on a road trip...a hard re-set didn't work after calling Tesla's roadside assistance and now I'm waiting for news on what went wrong. I thought this power steering failure thing was resolved a couple of years ago. Anyone have this going on?

Lei | 8 aprile 2019

We just got a call back - my brand new Tesla now needs a new steering rack and will be in the shop for a week.

TeslaTap.com | 8 aprile 2019

Lei - sorry for the problem you've had. While I've heard of a few rare steering failures, it hasn't sounded like any more than any other manufacturer. Tesla buys the same steering rack used by many car makers. Not sure if it is ZF or Bosch right now. I'm not aware of any "power steering failure thing". There was a minor recall over some bolts in the steering rack mounting that might corrode over many years of use. The bolts in the affected vehicles were replaced under warranty. That was solved at least a year ago.

Pages