Forums

Red light recognition in 2019.8.5.3aaa23d when light changes to red

Red light recognition in 2019.8.5.3aaa23d when light changes to red

I was trying out the new update to AP yesterday and found that it seems to have difficulty if the traffic light changes in closer proximity to the vehicle. If the light is red when you approach as the first vehicle, it seems to respond appropriately. But if the light changes to yellow and red as you are nearing as the first vehicle, it seems to have a latency that was troubling. As I approached and the light turned to yellow, the vehicle seemed to make no response, then as it turned to red, it flashed a large red icon on the left side of the display and I think it started braking. I can't be sure because I began braking to assure I don't run the light. Anyone else have any experience with this

EVRider | 8 aprile 2019

The car isn’t supposed to brake in response to red lights, at least not yet, so that was probably you.

Mupp9001 | 9 aprile 2019

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I did not expect it to break, but I did expect it would recognize a yellow light and warn to prepare to stop. It did not appear to do so. It was my impression it didn't flash the warning until the light turned red. This seems problematic to me.

TabascoGuy | 9 aprile 2019

Maybe its broken...

TeslaTap.com | 9 aprile 2019

Not to be flippant, but the feature is red light detection, not yellow light detection. Perhaps a future version will have yellow light detection as it does makes sense to have it. On HW2.0 cars with monochrome/red cameras, it might not be able to do good yellow detection.

SCCRENDO | 9 aprile 2019

I haven't seen this work on my car with red lights. What kind of warning does it give?

EVRider | 9 aprile 2019

@Mupp9001: You said "I think it started braking" when the light turned red -- the car doesn't do that yet, so you must have pressed the brake.

I haven't seen anything about the new feature to suggest that it will respond to yellow lights -- if you approach a red light without stopping, you'll see the warning that you saw, so it's working as designed. When the car can actually drive itself, then it will have to respond to yellow lights as you suggested.

Tesla2018 | 14 aprile 2019

What happens when you come to a flashing red 4 way stop light?

EVRider | 15 aprile 2019

@Tesla2018: “What happens when you come to a flashing red 4 way stop light?”

The same thing that happens when you come to a flashing red 2 way stop light. :-)

Yodrak. | 15 aprile 2019

"What happens when you come to a flashing red 4 way stop light?"
"The same thing that happens when you come to a flashing red 2 way stop light. :-)"

And that is? It's a good question, perhaps someone will have the experience and report on it.

kaffine | 19 aprile 2019

Tesla2018 | April 14, 2019
What happens when you come to a flashing red 4 way stop light?

My guess is Vroom, screech, vroom, screech

I've still not seen the warning not sure if it is not detecting the lights or if I just chicken out and hit the brakes before it is supposed to have the warning.