Forums

Windshield Chips

Windshield Chips

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or the Tesla model 3 windshield is more susceptible to chips when hit by small rocks on the highway. My model 3 windshield cracked from one rock. Then there are other smaller chips from rocks falling on the windshield from trucks driving ahead.

None of my other cars have so many chips. I'm wondering if its just me being unlucky when it comes to windshield chips on my M3 or is the M3 windshield just not as strong as other cars?

Thanks!

Evie3 | 17 aprile 2019

I have had very minor chips until two weeks ago...I was so upset and worried that I was going to need a replacement because it looked bad to me, about a quarter size but it looked deep. Safelight was able to seal it up and amazingly you could barely tell it’s there. He did say that on most repairs that he has done, it has caused it to spread and made worse. He also shared he did not understand why Model 3’s have such a problem. He said I was lucky and he was surprised himself with how it turned out.

The_Flash | 17 aprile 2019

@OP. I feel the same. I got my car January 2018.
Windshield cracked from chip in August. Replaces for $1100.
Now a few days ago, got another chip. :(
Called the shop that replaced my windshield and told them about it and was told it’s not really fixable and might actually make it worse.
Said they have Tesla a demo as well.
The reason? They said the laminate between the glass is too thick for the resin to go in.
Nothing that we can do. :(

The_Flash | 17 aprile 2019

Gave* Tesla a demo...

johnw | 17 aprile 2019

Totally agree. I'm at 13k miles and my windshield looks like it has been hit with machine gun fire. Tiny chips everywhere

johnw | 17 aprile 2019

But... Safelite was able to fix my first one nicely. I'm planning on going back for a couple more of the larger ones

aptwo | 17 aprile 2019

My car is littered with small chips. Also 3 large chips that looks like a star constellation or something.

M3phan | 17 aprile 2019

Man, I hear about this issue a lot online but have yet to have a chip on mine, driving since July 2018, highway and freeways and local roads..,lots of construction in our area...still doing fine. Lucky I guess? I do have a half dozen very tiny dings on my nose cone so I know rocks are hitting me, just nothing pitting the windshield yet. I do best to avoid remaining beside or right behind all larger trucks.

Phase2Phase | 17 aprile 2019

I have 1 really bad one that cracked in 6 directions and about 15 chips and a number of smaller divots...drives me nuts.

TAC | 17 aprile 2019

Zero glass issues i just wish the paint clear coat was stronger!. Black is a swirl magnet.

km94555 | 21 aprile 2019

I'm taking my M3 to Tesla service next week to have all the cracks and chips inspected. Will let you all know how it goes.