Forums

ILLINOIS: Proposed EL Registration Fees

ILLINOIS: Proposed EL Registration Fees

Illinois Senator Sandoval has proposed a huge increase in electric vehicle registration fees.

See https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-met-illinois-senate-gas-tax-h...

Contact Sen. Sandoval, Gov. J.B. Pritzker and your Illinois State Senator and Illinois State Representative:

Gov. Pritzker: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/gov/contactus/Pages/VoiceAnOpinion.aspx
IL Sen. Sandoval: http://www.senatormartinsandoval.com/contact-us
IL Senators and Representatives: https://www.illinoispolicy.org/maps/

Gordon87 | 9 maggio 2019

Here is my email to IL Sen. Sandoval​

I agree that the State of Illinois needs to address a variety of concerns, including funding for infrastructure, including transportation infrastructure. However, I am quite concerned about your proposal.

Because of my concerns about climate change and loss of good-paying jobs in the United States, I just purchased an electric vehicle designed and manufactured in the United States. Most progressive states offer some economic encouragement for the purchase of electric vehicles. The only benefit the State of Illinois currently provides is a reduction in annual auto registration fees of approximately $80. However, with your proposal the purchase of electric vehicles would be discouraged drastically, damaging our fight against climate change and our fight to retain jobs in the United States.

1. Most road repair issues are caused by trucks, not automobiles and certainly not the few electric vehicles on the road.

2. While electric vehicles do not incur gas taxes, owners do pay taxes on the electricity which used.

3. If you want to approximate the gas taxes lost by someone owning an electric vehicle rather than a gasoline-powered vehicle, $1,000 is way excessive. Even ignoring electricity taxes paid, a more accurate calculation would be:

Average annual miles per US DoT: 13,476 miles (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm)

Average car MPG per US EPA: 24.9 mpg (https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100W3WO.pdf)

So, average gallons of gasoline used: 541.20 gallons

Proposed IL gasoline tax rate: $0.44 per gallon

So, estimated gasoline taxes to be paid annually: $238, not $1,000.

I appreciate your concerns but would request that you reconsider the particulars of your proposal.

I also emailed Governor Pritzker, my State Senator and State Representative with a copy of this email, with this introduction:​

I read that Senator Sandoval has proposed increased to a variety of drivers and auto related taxes in Illinois. The increases all seem excessive, but especially for annual registration of electric vehicles. Here is my email to Senator Sandoval. I would appreciate you opposing this proposal.

carlk | 9 maggio 2019

If it is for road repair then I think it's fair. On the other hand if the purpose is to supress EV sales then it is real bad. A flat fee is also a big problem to me. Why is someone who rarely use his vehicle needs to pay as much as heavy users if it indeed is a "fee".

stevenmaifert | 10 maggio 2019

Expecting EV owners to pay their fair share for use and maintenance of the roadways via a registration fee is not unreasonable, but the fee Sen. Sandoval is proposing is way out of line with what other states are charging and the unintended consequence will be the suppression of EV sales in Illinois.

SO | 10 maggio 2019

Remove all gas taxes from pumps. Then charge everyone 1k annual registration. See how that goes over.

Curt Renz | 10 maggio 2019

And an annual $1000 flat fee is especially outrageous for retirees and others with low annual mileage. As essentially the case with gasoline taxes, the fee should be based on miles driven. Tesla can provide that information to the state. That would be no more onerous than a stock brokerage being required to provide information to the IRS on the trading done by each client. An alternative could be for the state to provide odometer transponders like they do for tollway trips. If this annual $1000 fee becomes law, only very high mileage drivers may be buying Teslas in Illinois.

Sen. Sandoval chairs the transportation committee and receives campaign funds from Illinois auto dealership groups. It's understandable that they would want to dissuade the purchase of EVs, especially Teslas which are sold directly to consumers. Until EVs become ubiquitous, they should be encouraged and certainly never discouraged.

I emailed my state legislators and governor about these concerns. Other Illinois residents may want to do the same. Interestingly the Illinois Senate President John Cullerton was one of the earliest Model S owners and cut the ribbon opening the first Supercharger station in Illinois. I also emailed both Sen. Cullerton and Sen. Sandoval, and those were accepted despite my address being outside of their districts.

greg | 10 maggio 2019

As Jake Blues not doubt would have said..

I *hate* Illinois Senator Nazis.

And no doubt Sen. Sandoval is merely responding to order from his Campaign Funders. - who no doubt told him:

"The use of excessive registration fees in curtailing demand for 'lectric vehicles must be approved".

Mike83 | 11 maggio 2019

They should charge $10,000 per year for each ICE vehicle which is causing the Climate Crisis. This would pay for roads, infrastructure, alternative energy systems, etc. It might require making the fossil fuel companies to pay back taxes for the science denial and special tax breaks they got for several decades.

Curt Renz | 12 maggio 2019

In addition to the proposed outrageous annual flat annual registration fee for electric cars being unfair to retirees and other low mileage drivers, consideration has not been given that the added electricity costs for EV owners are taxed. Meanwhile the state incurs substantial expenses for emissions testing stations which EVs do not visit. Once EVs become ubiquitous, those stations can be closed.

For now the state needs to encourage a more rapid transition to EVs to greatly reduce air pollution and global warming. Other states still allow income tax credits to encourage the purchase of EVs. Illinois ended its similar program, and it needs to be revived.

The annual car registration fees should be based on mileage driven for each car. Modern cars including EVs provide over-the-air data including mileage to their manufacturers. This can be shared with the state. Meanwhile, the state records odometer readings during emissions tests. If that is considered insufficient, transponders can be attached to odometers as is done for tollway trips.

The proposed $1000 annual fee for EVs appears to be inspired by auto dealership groups that fund Sen. Sandoval’s campaigns. Dealers hope to stave off the adoption of EV’s because they are low maintenance, while dealers depend primarily upon parts and service for their profits. In particular they hope to damage EV maker Tesla due to its direct to consumer sales and service methods. The veiled motive for the proposed $1000 fee would be to choke off demand for EVs. That is contrary to the intent of the treasured American free competitive enterprise system. Would you not agree that is un-American?

Mike83 | 12 maggio 2019

Perhaps not patronizing these companies based in Illinois is a bit crazy but I'll do that. No eating at McDonalds or flying United airlines, not buying Deere, Caterpillar or shopping a Walgreens and so on.

ICE vehicles destroy roads and the Climate Crisis is causing flooding which destroys roads and creates mold, etc.
I think a $10,000 per year fee for these gas/diesel vehicles is fare.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/largest-companies-in-illinois/

Curt Renz | 12 maggio 2019

Fellow Illinois residents please write your legislators, governor and local newspapers. I did.

skymaster | 13 maggio 2019

Mr. Sandoval is a Democrap! What else would you expect?

ouchakov | 19 maggio 2019

Thanks for the links above, I emailed everyone. When we get hosed in IL, at least I can say I tried to do something ;-(.
I also made another point: Rivian is planning to manufacture electric vehicles in IL, would be a shame if IL would not support EV owners.

ChicagoJay | 9 giugno 2019

So, it looks like the IL legislature took Gordon87 (OP)'s advice, and are going to charge $248 (OP's number plus $10 because: screw you). So here is my question:

I bought my first Tesla (a used 2015 SP90DL), last April. The dealer (3rd party) recommended I transfer my existing plates (from my 2010 Maxima), since they had just renewed in January. With the new registration fees not taking effect until January 2020, I'm wondering if I should (can I?) proactively renew to an EL plate (at $35 for 2 years) in say, December 2019?

Are any other Illinoisans looking at doing the same thing? Sure it's only a one-time savings, but $200 is $200!