Forums

Does anybody know when Advanced Summon will be available

Does anybody know when Advanced Summon will be available

I love the idea of Advanced Summon and frankly it was one of the main reasons I bought the car. I was told at the dealership that it was scheduled for May but it is now July and I still can’t use Advanced Summon on my model 3. Any insights or cheerful messages would be appreciated.

Thanks

Magic 8 Ball | 3 luglio 2019

Keep your expectations low and you will have a better chance at having them exceeded.

It has been in the hands of EAP (early adopter program or something like that) being tested for a while. They are forbidden to talk about it.

We are on TESLA time so be patient. The car is amazing without the parlor tricks.

legna_fo_htaed | 3 luglio 2019

Last I saw there was a second round of early adopters getting a newer beat version of Smart Summon. Once those additional bugs are worked out and they feel comfortable with it, Tesla will release the full version. Last videos that were released showed improvements to the car speed while Smart Summon was engaged, but was still struggling to avoid empty parking spaces and staying in the right lane when picking up the summoner.

I can't wait to try this feature soon, but am also OK with them making sure it's ready. Way too many liabilities and other issues involved if something went wrong.

legna_fo_htaed | 3 luglio 2019

BETA** version of Smart Summon

BigDaddyTesla | 3 luglio 2019

Agree that the car is amazing and I’m learning more and more about Tesla time.

Whdame | 3 luglio 2019

On its third version now and WAY better than before......but not quite ready.

Magic 8 Ball | 3 luglio 2019

The thing about TESLA time is we are all so anxious to see what is next that we put ourselves in the position of "will xmas ever come". The fact is we have owned the car less than a year and the stuff given OTA during that time has shows they are really moving forward on improving and supporting the vehicles, really easy to take for granted how much has been delivered already. Probably harder to see as a new owner and after a few months of OTA's hopefully you will learn it is all worth the wait.

thedrisin | 3 luglio 2019

@legna. BETA** version of Smart Summon

How can you have a Beta version if no one is behind the wheel ready to take over immediate control like the other beta features? Will there be no warnings about it only being a beta feature in the manual? I wouldn't use it in a public area until alpha ready and no disclaimers in the manual. Maybe ok in an abandoned lot or private driveway.

JAD | 3 luglio 2019

You have to be close to the car (150 ft) and keep your finger on the summons button from what I have read. It is not ready to just find you in the city wherever you are. Next year..... maybe it will, for now it is beta and you need to watch that it isn't doing something wrong and if it is, take your finger off the button.

thedrisin | 3 luglio 2019

@JAD. And the point of using it within 150' with the inherent risks involved? I'll walk to the car. I still have not tried regular summons yet. I have enough room in my garage to open the doors.
(LR, AWD, MC Red, FSD)

calvin940 | 3 luglio 2019

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how the heck do you get on the EAP?

EVRider | 3 luglio 2019

@thedrisin: Having the car travel 150’ to come to you is better than walking 150’ to the car in pouring rain. That’s the only time I would use Advanced Summon (not “Summons”). I don’t use regular Summon either, haven’t needed to.

Whdame | 3 luglio 2019

@calvin940 - You are selected by Tesla. There is no way to apply for it. I was sent an e-mail about a year ago asking/offering to me to join and accept the terms and the non-disclosure agreement. Also, just because a person is in it, does not mean you are selected every time to try future releases. This is my third time with Enhanced Summons, but never was selected when others were getting early versions NoA or other releases.

JAD | 3 luglio 2019

The point is that the car gets better every month. Fsd is not a quick update, it is hundreds of small improvements like this. This is 10 mph self driving, a pretty big step even if the feature on its own is only useful in limited situations.

howard | 3 luglio 2019

Magic 8 Ball | Keep your expectations low

+1

CST | 3 luglio 2019

Wait, you found a Tesla dealership?

thedrisin | 4 luglio 2019

@EVRider. The manual states that weather conditions, including heavy rain, may interfere with sensor operation. In addition, it will probably br recommended to only use in line of sight and surrounding area is. clear. It may be difficulty to see. People will be running to their cars in the pouring rain. Exactly the conditions you probably should not use it.

Magic 8 Ball | Keep your expectations low

I actually agree. +1

calvin940 | 4 luglio 2019

@Whdame

Appreciate your response. Thanks.

Being up in Canada I suspect I am less likely to get picked as I think they would rather focus on more US centric feedback due to the much bigger market.

EVRider | 4 luglio 2019

@thedrisin: I’ve found that AP works quite well for me even in heavy rain (though I’m always ready to take over as usual), so I’m optimistic that Enhanced/Advanced Summon will be useful for that case.

Parking lots account for many accidents, many involving pedestrians. Often, cars are partially obscured by larger vehicles. Many times, the only indication a car is about to back out of a space is when a backup light catches your eye. I won't wait for actual movement if I see a backup light. I find parking lots particularly scary and unpredictable. I can't imagine the stress of standing in front of Costco in the pouring rain with one finger on the phone.

howard | 4 luglio 2019

thedrisin, if it is pouring rain the car is not going to move anyway.

Lonestar10_1999 | 4 luglio 2019

Ideally, the driverless car would locate you based on your GPS location and safely drive to you. If there there is a 150 foot max distance to enable this feature then its usefulness is very limited. From an R&D perspective it’s a worthy milestone so long as the ultimate goal is for the feature to work without the initial distance limitation.

jefjes | 4 luglio 2019

"Does anybody know when Advanced Summon will be available"-

When Tesla feels it's ready.

@howard. The car won't move in pouring rain? That is when @EVRider wants to use it.

Magic 8 Ball | 4 luglio 2019

As usual @howard does not actually know anything, he just makes things up to make things look worse than they are.

howard | 4 luglio 2019

M8B, denying, deflecting and defending.

Magic 8 Ball | 4 luglio 2019

@howard Why are you saying the car will not move in pouring rain? I am not the only one to question your alleged knowledge? It is clear you are just making that up and viewing things from your usual debbie downer position.

sheldon.mike1010 | 4 luglio 2019

howard:
The car is driven EVERY DAY in heavy rain somewhere. There are Model 3's distributed over the globe.
Don't you think the slobbering stock shorts would have pounded on failures to function in the rain?? Huh?
Please, run out now and play with your little friends.

teslamazing | 4 luglio 2019

I’ve personally had my M3 driven in heavy rain on AP. I could barley see ahead yet AP was driving as smooth as ever.

sheldon.mike1010 | 4 luglio 2019

To avoid being a victim of the beams and waves you refer to there, I've created adequate protection by fashioning a tinfoil cap that extends from ear to ear and from forehead to neck. Highly recommended to try at home!

Completely optional but such a shame of not using a highly advanced system. This is the future guys.

HW3 is also insane. Not sure if you know anything about it

howard | 4 luglio 2019

Hp.1193, I bought FSD when it was on sale just for HW3. You know it is not implemented yet. Going to be awhile before the software to catch up.

So you trust HW3, which technically isn’t even fully implemented yet in the market or tested nationwide, but not 2.5 at it’s fullest capacity? Bahaha

M3phan | 4 luglio 2019

Still being tested, and probably has to reach a certain threshold of reliability before pushing out to the fleet.

Goose66 | 5 luglio 2019

@JAD “Fsd is not a quick update, it is hundreds of small improvements like this.” If FSD is to be feature complete by the end of the year, then there isn’t enough time for a dozen small improvements before then, much less hundreds!

Goose66 | 5 luglio 2019

@JAD “Fsd is not a quick update, it is hundreds of small improvements like this.” If FSD is to be feature complete by the end of the year, then there isn’t enough time for a dozen small improvements before then, much less hundreds!

JAD | 5 luglio 2019

Feature complete does NOT mean full self driving. Elon has clearly stated this. By the end of the year, the car will be able to follow street lights and stop signs most of the time and make turns at normal intersections. That is about all that is needed to be FEATURE complete as promised. It will not self drive this year. Having the car figure out parking lots and drive around on its own making sharp turns and avoiding people and things is a big step.

ICEMELT | 5 luglio 2019

Rain drop absorbing Radar signals/Laser beams??

No speeding ticket in rain?

teslamazing | 5 luglio 2019

Lol ^

Lbanworth | 6 luglio 2019

Hey guys and gals! I work for Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory and they are the inventor of Lidar. In those heavy rain trips Lidar is a major contributor to the algorithms being used to keep the car centered in the lanes. Remember, Tesla uses 12 ultrasonic sensors, 8 cameras, Lidar and GPS to navigate its way around. I personally drive to work everyday in "Navigate on Autopilot". It drives much better than I ever could and it keeps me centered perfectly in the lane. It works so well that I actually enjoy driving to work in the pouring rain! By the way, I own the dual-motor M3 and I must say it is by far the best AWD system I've ever experienced! Take it from an ex Subaru owner.

Magic 8 Ball | 6 luglio 2019

@lbanworth Maybe the TESLA uses Radar not Lidar.

M3phan | 6 luglio 2019

Yeah, not Lidar. As Elon said, a fools errand.

Magic 8 Ball | 6 luglio 2019

Must be embarrassing walking around the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab telling everyone your car has Lidar and just now finding out, oops.

Whdame | 6 luglio 2019

I have yet to laugh at anyone's post in here because I think it's rude...... But this one made me chuckle..... I thought everyone knew that Tesla vehicles do not use Lidar.

teslamazing | 6 luglio 2019

Arrogance will do that.

wendishen | 6 luglio 2019

Sorry if it should be obvious, but what is HW3?

teslamazing | 6 luglio 2019

It’s very intricate. They explained it during Tesla Autonomy Day, which is like 4 hours long

Here a 5 min summarized video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxTG7DmB_0

Xerogas | 7 luglio 2019

@howard: "thedrisin, if it is pouring rain the car is not going to move anyway."
------
Not true. The car is already better than people at seeing lanes on the freeway during heavy rain.

Pages