Forums

Both my center screen and dash now have yellow border

Both my center screen and dash now have yellow border

I've read about folks having a yellow border on the center screen which I have... But now the screen behind the steering is getting it.

The service center is telling me they know about the problem but no fix is available. They also say they can't change the screen.. I ask if they would change the screen if it was cracked and they say they could...

So what I'm getting is that they don't consider this defect even though my car is less than 6 months old.

I'll be honest this is my 2nd model s... And my last tesla...

Anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed?

J.

Bighorn | 9 luglio 2019

I’ve read that there is a fix that I think involves applying light to remove the yellow.

rickrparker | 9 luglio 2019

I got the same response regarding my yellow border. Today I am celebrating my 30th day. After driving S-Class Mercedes, Service has much to be desired. Hope they are working on it.

Bighorn | 9 luglio 2019
md_d | 9 luglio 2019

I'm getting the same thing but it looks more orangy on borders of infotainment screen
No fix at this time. Second tesla only 7 months old. Will be my last.

Bighorn | 9 luglio 2019

There is a fix. Do y’all read?!

Anthony J. Parisio | 9 luglio 2019

Glad to hear there is this fix.

jacques | 11 luglio 2019

@md_d I agree with you, pretty sure this is my last one... This is my 2nd model s and the quality of this one is wayyy lower than my last one. Was in the shop 1 time in 3+ years on my old one and been in the shop 5 times on my new one which i got 6 months ago.

Also if no refresh by the time my lease is up then the Porches mission-e/taycan will be hard to ignore.

dougk71 | 11 luglio 2019

Well of course Tesla has problems. They are not starting with 100 years of experience making ICE drive trains.
Yet Tesla has made the safest cars ever and they don't pollute and are much fun to drive.
Now traditional ICE manufacturers produce ICE lemons by the dozen and they have no experience at all with EV's.
Now Tesla has a multi year jump on the competition so if you go for an ICE manufacturers first EV you will need luck to avoid getting a lemon and get little support since the 20% extra you will pay at the dealership to cover sales and advertising won't have gotten you little if any trained EV service technicians.
Tesla even with blemishes is the only sensible choice and if it is frustrating as they work through their exponential demand curve all other choices will have worse outcomes.
Tesla saves you the 20% overhead a dealership brings with it plus the Tesla is superior to any car on a dealership lot.

Tropopause | 11 luglio 2019

If only there was a fix, maybe these dedicated customers would remain loyal to Tesla.

BH- did you mention something?

Bighorn | 11 luglio 2019

Apparently not.

inconel | 11 luglio 2019

Too short to have heard anything. It went over my head.

jacques | 11 luglio 2019

It's a rumor of a fix. I was at the service center and the service guy had no idea when I discussed this very thread with him. So if the tesla service Mgr does not know about a fix... And the phone tech service does not either then I'm going to assume it's not a done deal. Also... It should never have broken in the first place..

NKYTA | 11 luglio 2019

It’s a fix that isn’t happening at your SvC at the moment, and apparently they don’t yet know about at your SvC. So, NOT a rumor.

Electronics and LCDs break all the time, usually early and then not until their lifetime has been exceeded. I assume Tesla’s supplier is on the hook for this.

rxlawdude | 11 luglio 2019

Bonnie Norman of TMC had the fix applied (using a big UV device that is going around for SvC training) and reported it worked.

Bighorn | 11 luglio 2019

Its not a rumor, dipshit. There are before and after photos in my link.

rglossin | 12 luglio 2019

So it's name calling now or is dipshit his name?

Bighorn | 12 luglio 2019

Three strike rule.

PBEndo | 12 luglio 2019

Settle down everybody. I have it on good authority that there is word of a fix in the wild.

Innkeep | 12 luglio 2019

I’m old, fat and ugly. My Sparky has a little yellow border. My car is still Motor Trend’s car of the century. When I drive it I can still forget all my troubles.

Maybe the complainers would give up on me for my cosmetic imperfections too. I could say something about trophy wives, but I won’t.

jacques | 12 luglio 2019

Seriously folks, are you saying that a defective screen for a 112k car is just how it is and I should just accept it? honesty, if this was happening on your audi s8 you'd all be pissed at audi. Be honest.

Ironically I'm actually a tesla fanboy but I can still call them out on bs.

And bh, your composure on here is defilightful to witness.

J.

NKYTA | 12 luglio 2019

I don’t have an Audi, I wouldn’t be caught dead owning one.

You are NOT a Tesla fanboy, don’t try and pass yourself off as one.

You are a shill.

PBEndo | 12 luglio 2019

@jaques
Not saying you should accept it as it is obviously a problem. However, it is a minor problem that can be fixed so no big deal. Tesla isn't perfect, but they can fix a yellow border leaving you with an exceptional car.

Madatgascar | 13 luglio 2019

Scroll up to where Bighorn posts the link to the fix. Take a deep breath. It’s going to be OK.

Bighorn | 13 luglio 2019

It should also be pointed out that the yellow band is the result of trying to engineer out the problem of gel leak. Presumably it’s the discoloration of an adhesive that can be reversed with UV light therapy.

cleanhp | 16 luglio 2019

I'm utterly amazed that the fix for this is reliant on a tool that nobody can seem to locate and therefore not predict when it will be able to be fixed. Just another example of what happens when you let a bunch of software engineers run a car company. I really, really want them to be successful (and keep enjoying my car), just hope they fix these customer service problems in time.

rweggert | 19 luglio 2019

I see the yellow border on the MCU when it's in direct sunlight. If I shade the screen, the coloring goes away. I'm pretty confident the yellow shading is caused by the sun and it will burn into the screen over time just like the burn in problems that occur on CRT's and some of the new OLED screens. Keep your screen out of the sun and search for a screen tint or some other sunblock solution.